Rise EW-EN100 junction box weak bluetooth signal with Garmin watch?

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
I've been using a Garmin watch with ebike field for several months to monitor battery % on rides with my Rise. Normally I can glance at my watch at and time and see exactly how much battery I have left.

This has worked very well up until recently. The connection breaks several times each ride where a few weeks ago it did not. It will drop the % for a while and then it will come back, just kind of annoying. I've always noticed the range of the bluetooth is weak compared to other ebikes with this set up but never this bad.

Anyone else experienced this? I've cleaned and reseated the connections on the EW-EN100 but no real way to test the strength of the signal coming out. I suppose I can just buy a new EW-EN100 but didn't want to go down that road in case someone has a tip or suggestion.

It could be the watch but the signal to my phone is very good, reaches 20-30 feet before losing bluetooth. On the Rise the connection is just dropping randomly.

Thanks in advance

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
I think it might be the e-bike field app. I had the same issues using a Garmin 130.

I'm now using a Garmin 530 (which has an inbuilt 'e bike field' rather than the App Store one, and also an inbuilt 'shimano steps' page. The connection with that seems much more reliable (though sometimes it still drops out) - not least it always seems to get a battery level immediately you switch on the bike, which the ebikefield app doesn't

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
thanks for the reply. The e-bike field app was always reliable on my last bike and to a lesser extent on the Rise until lately it just starts flaking out all the time. I'm using a Garmin watch so there's no built in e-bike fields that I've found however yesterday I found the app below and it worked much better for several hours yesterday, was holding BT signal on a lift with bike 20-30 feet away. It also makes the connection instantly when I power on the bike. I'm wondering if e-bike field app might be corrupted, plan to remove it and reinstall if this app doesn't do the trick.

1689591569616.png

1689591553183.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles