Rise chainring swap 32 to 36

Steve149

Mar 26, 2021
UK
I am using my Rise both at a local trail park and for more XC type rides. 32 front and 10 rear gearing was a bit restricting so decided to swap to 36 front chainring.

The cranks and chainring on the rise are ethirteen. So emails them and they confirmed the e8000 chainring would fit. 36 tooth ring arrived but it turns out it fouls the Orbea chain guide.

Ordered the ethirteen chain guide but that fouls the Rise carbon frame. It looks like the Shimano item would also not work with the rise frame.

So as far as I can see there is no way of fitting a larger chainring with the Rise frame unless you remove the chain guide. The good news is the Rise does not drop the chain on trails even without the guide.

Last edited:

soundwave

May 13, 2020
Helsinki, Finland
I am thinking about this too. Is there a 34 option? Do you know if I could switch the 170mm cranks of the XL/L models to the 165mm cranks of the M/S at the same time?

Steve149

Mar 26, 2021
UK
I am thinking about this too. Is there a 34 option? Do you know if I could switch the 170mm cranks of the XL/L models to the 165mm cranks of the M/S at the same time?
There is an ethirteen 34 but it will have the same issue. The 32 is not a standard model (not even listed on the ethirteen site) and Orbea had it thinned down to clear the custom chain guide. There have been issues with the 32 breaking which is worrying.

If you went for say XT cranks and chainring then I don't think any chain guide available will fit they will either foul the frame or the chainring. Orbea have messed this up and left it too tight as far as I can see. So if you want a chain guide it is ethirteen 32 only.

Steve149

Mar 26, 2021
UK
I have never had a chain guide in my previous analog bikes. Is it really necessary in the Rise? I doubt it...
I have not had any issues since removing the guide. I have ridden some red UK trails with the XT rear derailleur clutch off (forgot to engage after putting the wheel on) with no problems.

Steve149

Mar 26, 2021
UK
Another bit of information people might find interesting. The original Rise chain length worked with the 36 chainring. It should in theory need another link but it doesn't. So I now have a spare slx chain!

Last edited:

Steve149

Mar 26, 2021
UK
I don't think there is anything with a smaller ring than 10 that fits on the Shimano micro spline hub. The friction and noise would be an issue anyway. The 36/51 gearing with boost means I can climb any slope I am likely to meet. Generally I find climbing is limited by traction and front wheel lifting rather than gearing on the Rise.

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
You can replace the ethirteen spider with the shimano original spider and then the 34t fits ok, even a 30t but I don't know about 36t.
The chain guide can be moved vertically a little and that should give you some extra space.

Steve149

Mar 26, 2021
UK
You can replace the ethirteen spider with the shimano original spider and then the 34t fits ok, even a 30t but I don't know about 36t.
The chain guide can be moved vertically a little and that should give you some extra space.
When you say replace the spider what bit are you replacing? The chainring are direct mount onto the Ep8 shaft.

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
When you say replace the spider what bit are you replacing? The chainring are direct mount onto the Ep8 shaft.

This will allow you to remove the direct mount chainring and install this spider and then you will be able to easily switch between chainrings ;)

For Orbea Rise you need the CRE80-B Version (53mm)

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
I do, but I am using the original one because I have fitted a 32t chainring. My reason to install this spider was to be able to replace chanrings easily just with 4 bolts, not for changing size :D

My opinion is that a 34t should fit, but cannot guarantee this.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
^ good news! Does anybody have experience how much two extra teeth in the front chainring make a difference?

Quick chart with the gear ratios:

1618217029052.png

Comparing 32 to 36 chainring then it is roughly equivalent to shifting each gear by one (the red arrows).

So switching 32 to 34 would be roughly half that - so shifting all your gears by "half a gear".

e*thirteen Components

Official e*thirteen
Feb 8, 2021
Global
@e*thirteen Components any comments on chainring suitability for the Rise? If the factory fitted model is a custom one are there any plans for a 34t version?
Hey @PhilS - We have size 34t thru 38t available on our US and EU webstore and thru our global distributors. 32T will get posted on the webstore this week also. It's a pretty new product so you should start seeing them available more widely thru other channels as we move into summer.

PhilS

Mar 1, 2021
UK
Hey @PhilS - We have size 34t thru 38t available on our US and EU webstore and thru our global distributors. 32T will get posted on the webstore this week also. It's a pretty new product so you should start seeing them available more widely thru other channels as we move into summer.

Hi, thanks for confirming. Is the 32t fitted to the rise the standard 32t alloy ring you offer, or a special version as someone mentions above? If standard then the 34t should be compatible with the chain device. There’s no way a 38t will clear the chainstay though!

e*thirteen Components

Official e*thirteen
Feb 8, 2021
Global
Hi, thanks for confirming. Is the 32t fitted to the rise the standard 32t alloy ring you offer, or a special version as someone mentions above? If standard then the 34t should be compatible with the chain device. There’s no way a 38t will clear the chainstay though!
@PhilS - the 32t Orbea uses is our standard 32t ring and compatible with all EP8 systems. I'm not familiar with the Orbea chainguide on that bike and cannot speak it's ring capacity - that would best addressed by Orbea. Our e*thirteen e*spec guide capacity is 34-38. It will mount up with a 32t but the gap between the chain and slider is not ideal.

JDA

Apr 7, 2021
Sydney, Australia
I've been running 34t on my mtb for the past 6 years, I can't imagine the need for a 32t for where I ride but everyone is different. I have not used a chain guide for the past 6 years either, with narrow wide technology it is not needed, that is my experience with Sram anyway drivetrain anyway.

soundwave

May 13, 2020
Helsinki, Finland
In addition to replacing the chainring, switching to shorter cranks would also help in cadence, right? e*thirteen confirmed one can buy their 165mm cranks (S/M Rise) and install them to L/XL Rise. I just might do this. Do you think any S/M owners would like to buy longer cranks? :)

Steve149

Mar 26, 2021
UK
@PhilS - the 32t Orbea uses is our standard 32t ring and compatible with all EP8 systems. I'm not familiar with the Orbea chainguide on that bike and cannot speak it's ring capacity - that would best addressed by Orbea. Our e*thirteen e*spec guide capacity is 34-38. It will mount up with a 32t but the gap between the chain and slider is not ideal.
I have bought the ethirteen espec chain guide but you can't mount it on the Rise because it fouls the carbon frame where it overlaps the top of the Ep8 motor. I guess this why Orbea where forced to make a custom chain guide just for the Rise.

PhilS

Mar 1, 2021
UK
It sounds like sticking with the e*thirteen alloy ring and OEM chain guide is the best option then.

@Steve149 let us know how you get on with 36t - I would like to go to that but 2mm clearance doesn’t sound ideal, I had a friend who’s chainring rubbed the chainstay during hard cornering and pedalling as the frame flexed (not a Rise!). A bit of BB or bearing play during a ride could leave you stuck...

Steve149

Mar 26, 2021
UK
It sounds like sticking with the e*thirteen alloy ring and OEM chain guide is the best option then.

@Steve149 let us know how you get on with 36t - I would like to go to that but 2mm clearance doesn’t sound ideal, I had a friend who’s chainring rubbed the chainstay during hard cornering and pedalling as the frame flexed (not a Rise!). A bit of BB or bearing play during a ride could leave you stuck...
The oem chain guide only fits the ethirteen 32t. The larger rings foul the bolt heads of the oem guide because spacers are needed to get the correct chain line.

I have ridden the 36t ethirteen ring for a couple of weeks probably 8 hours of moderate trails with no chain guide. I have no marking on the chainstay and no chain drops. The 36 ring gives a much more usable gear range. Having said that I think the clearance is too tight and I will swap to a 34t ring. I think I will go with the ethirteen ring and forget the chain guide as it does not seem necessary.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles