Rise chainring swap 32 to 36

Steve149

Mar 26, 2021
UK
Just an update as the original thread starter now with some experience of riding the Rise on mostly red UK trails. The 36 chainring suits me best and I find the original 32t a pain because riding a path between trails in trail mode you can end up spinning out on the flat. I have completely removed the front chain guide and I have had no chain drops. I also ride mostly with the derailure clutch off because this makes the shifts less clunky. I have no damage on the chain stay even though the chain ring clearance is very tight. So for those thinking about it I recommend trying an E13 36t chain ring and removing the chain guide.

Gardcol

Dec 30, 2020
Aberdeen
The oem chain guide only fits the ethirteen 32t. The larger rings foul the bolt heads of the oem guide because spacers are needed to get the correct chain line.

I have ridden the 36t ethirteen ring for a couple of weeks probably 8 hours of moderate trails with no chain guide. I have no marking on the chainstay and no chain drops. The 36 ring gives a much more usable gear range. Having said that I think the clearance is too tight and I will swap to a 34t ring. I think I will go with the ethirteen ring and forget the chain guide as it does not seem necessary.
Any feedback on the 34T? I can't get a 32T at the moment but can get a 34T. Will it work without touching the chainstay? Looks to be a bit of room with the 32T and my chain guide has plenty of room to move up as well.

Steve149

Mar 26, 2021
UK
No the chain guide will not fit with the 34t. Not a big problem you don't need the chain guide. Just try taking the guide off and see.

spxxky

Dec 11, 2021
Bolton
I do, but I am using the original one because I have fitted a 32t chainring. My reason to install this spider was to be able to replace chanrings easily just with 4 bolts, not for changing size :D

My opinion is that a 34t should fit, but cannot guarantee this.
Hi, How did you manage to fit the chain guide with the Shimano spider? When I do this the spider hits the chain guide and gets stuck?
Thanks

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
I don't use the chain guide, I never had a problem without it as long as you use narrow-wide chainrings ;)

crencos

May 18, 2021
Portugal
E*thirteen 32t is out of stock. Only avaliable on june. Solution to keep the customer bike running: Shimano CRE80-B spider and TA Specialites E-One chainring 32t. CD-EM800 chainguide on its way because customer want it.

20220502_144201.jpg

TtheArab

Jul 7, 2019
Hayabusa!303
34T E*Thirteen version ordered as went out for first ride over 14 miles and found a big difference between this and the previous Giant Trance SX which had 36T. Not trying to replicate but think 32T is just too small up front.

Will see how the 34T fares.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles