Riese & Muller Delite Mountain Rohloff - anyone had any experience with one?

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Order placed .... delivery mid Oct in time for the mud........
On my Focus I have RRP front guard and Mudhugger rear plus own design mudflap to reduce mud ingress to the suspension pivots etc .
Any R&F owners fitted something similar?

Homeyjay

May 12, 2021
Uk
Order placed .... delivery mid Oct in time for the mud........
On my Focus I have RRP front guard and Mudhugger rear plus own design mudflap to reduce mud ingress to the suspension pivots etc .
Any R&F owners fitted something similar?
Congrats OB, I’m sure you’re going to love it!

verysideways

Oct 17, 2018
Cotswolds
Bugger.

Email from R&M this morning to say that my bike won’t be at my dealer next week (23rd Aug) - delayed to 18th October. ARGH!!

Wish I hadn’t already sold my Kenevo now ☹

But I guess on the plus side if they do update the Delite for the 2022 model year I’ll get the “new” version.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Ugh. Thats a blow . they have given you my slot.as mine is moved end Oct.....fortunately I had not planned to shift my Focus until R&M arrived ........
My daughter has put her name on it anyway.
Looking out of the window it looks as if the mud season will arrive sooner than expected. More ugh .

Last edited:

verysideways

Oct 17, 2018
Cotswolds
Ugh. Thats a blow . they have given you my slot.as mine is moved end Oct.....fortunately I had not planned to shift my Focus until R&M arrived ........
Looking out of the window it looks as if the mud season will arrive sooner than expected. More ugh .
To be fair I’m away for work for a lot of September and October anyway so apart from the coming bank holiday weekend I wouldn’t have had much use out of the bike until November.
I was hoping to grab the odd hour or two between now and the to do some running in miles on the Rohloff to quieten it down, but that’s not the end of the world either.

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading

Interesting read. I too ebiked through winter and used a spare water bottle to clear the front/rear of mud mid-ride (if required). Never really found it an issue. I think I am quite sympathetic with the drivetrain as it lasted well through the winter.

Summer here has been rubbish. It’s been very muddy for the past few weeks on the Berkshire bridleways and looks like it’ll be the same in the next couple of weeks just as it starts to dry out we have a storm

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Thinking ahead to my delayed delivery has anybody found a suitable protective film for the Delight?? Invisiframe do not have one and suggest a fat bike kit but looking at the shape on line i would think there must be similar frame shapes etc on the more popular bikes .
Anybody tried anything before I embark on a DIY route?

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia

Much to my amazement LBS phoned to advise the bike has arrived ! a month earlier than revised date ... R&M must have found some delivery drivers! Delivery to me next week.
No joy on the frame protection so it has to be DIY //// tiresome job but worth it .
Pix to follow

verysideways

Oct 17, 2018
Cotswolds
Much to my amazement LBS phoned to advise the bike has arrived ! a month earlier than revised date ... R&M must have found some delivery drivers! Delivery to me next week.
No joy on the frame protection so it has to be DIY //// tiresome job but worth it .
Pix to follow
Mine is in customs as we speak, also expecting delivery early next week ?

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Still waiting for mine . Dealer was “tubelessing” it for me .....and it has taken longer than expected .... I did warn them it was not always straight forward. Or maybe they are using it in their window to show it off.

verysideways

Oct 17, 2018
Cotswolds
Still waiting for mine . Dealer was “tubelessing” it for me .....and it has taken longer than expected .... I did warn them it was not always straight forward. Or maybe they are using it in their window to show it off.
I converted mine on day 1 and had two flat tyres on day 2.
The stock rim tape that comes on the Rodi Tryp35’s isn’t great. I took the tyres off again and redid the rim tape with my own gorilla tape and they’ve worked perfectly since.
Done 110km in the first 5 days, almost all off road.
The belt sheds mud way better than I had hoped, it just shrugs it off .
And the Rohloff is great.
Overall I’m very happy.

F8096FD1-138D-4E7C-94A8-E1C3E81CFB1B.jpeg

ECFB56DB-B142-4551-89A1-24F2050C32E6.jpeg

3A79E70A-9BF2-4D83-A86A-132EDD75715D.jpeg

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Hey thats my bike in the window I said they were using it as an ad,.

Past experience when going tubeless is exactly as yours the so called "tubeless ready" rims arnt ! Dealer assures me they will be fine but I have told him if they let me down he has to replace the rim tape etc on him.
Bike will be here this coming week .....cant wait.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Sutprise surprise. Dealer tells me they inspected the rims to find the stock tape was very poor so they replaced it with a proper tape and Stans Race. And so far all is well. Touching wood..
bike now wrapped and some shake down rides in progress .
Will report

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I converted mine on day 1 and had two flat tyres on day 2.
The stock rim tape that comes on the Rodi Tryp35’s isn’t great. I took the tyres off again and redid the rim tape with my own gorilla tape and they’ve worked perfectly since.
Done 110km in the first 5 days, almost all off road.
The belt sheds mud way better than I had hoped, it just shrugs it off .
And the Rohloff is great.
Overall I’m very happy.

View attachment 73418

View attachment 73419

View attachment 73420
I thought it would have been a nightmare for cleaning the mud off the belt. I nearly bought the Nicolai but importing myself put me off in case it had to go back to Germany . Would definitely look at that bike you have if i buy another Ebike

verysideways

Oct 17, 2018
Cotswolds
I thought it would have been a nightmare for cleaning the mud off the belt. I nearly bought the Nicolai but importing myself put me off in case it had to go back to Germany . Would definitely look at that bike you have if i buy another Ebike
Belt has been self cleaning in all the mud I have thrown at it so far - has worked better than I ever hoped it would. Definitely exceeded expectations.

BrentH

Aug 19, 2021
UK
Belt has been self cleaning in all the mud I have thrown at it so far - has worked better than I ever hoped it would. Definitely exceeded expectations.
Just catching up on this thread; I’m interested in retrofitting a Rohloff and belt drive setup to my full sus ebike. I was concerned about mud but it sounds like this is ok. My other concern is the extra weight of the rear hub (there are some pretty rocky trails round my way). How have you found it?

verysideways

Oct 17, 2018
Cotswolds
Just catching up on this thread; I’m interested in retrofitting a Rohloff and belt drive setup to my full sus ebike. I was concerned about mud but it sounds like this is ok. My other concern is the extra weight of the rear hub (there are some pretty rocky trails round my way). How have you found it?
Hi Brent,
So far so good.
I've done plenty of mud, plenty of very rocky trails (avoiding boulders!), and the bike has taken it all without fuss.
The shorter cranks have reduced my pedal strikes too which is great (Hope 155mm).

Converting to Rohloff is relatively straightforward i think, there's a chap called Paul Moir who distributes Rohloff in Australia and he's done some great stuff on youtube about the conversions.

Converting to belt, especially on a full sus, is much more complicated and probably not worth the effort. Without the belt you are still running a much stronger chain in a straight line so the wear is massively reduced compared to a 10/11/12 speed cassette, and the tensioner is much smaller and less obtrusive than a derailleur.

Extra weight? Can't even tell in all honesty.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles