Riese & Muller Delite Mountain Rohloff - anyone had any experience with one?

verysideways

Oct 17, 2018
Cotswolds
I think it would be a fairly easy job to take weight out of that bike. For a start, only one battery is required 90% of the time.
That’s why I have now ordered the Delite rather than the Superdelite. Expected mid August.

A few of my mates with Bosch powered bikes have spare batteries that they carry in rucksacks when they think they might need them - but that’s not often.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
Their background is more in building solid touring and cargo bikes, so they're not lightweights:
- Superdelite Mountain Rohloff: 28.4 (only 500g more than the derailleur version
- Delite Mountain Touring (with/without Rohloff): 25.8/25.3kg

Mountain biking here in Germany doesn't get quite the same focus as it does in the UK, which can bee seen from R&Ms range. There are zero bike shops around Hamburg with anything other than a pitiful offer of MTB gear :(

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Mountain biking here in Germany doesn't get quite the same focus as it does in the UK, which can bee seen from R&Ms range. There are zero bike shops around Hamburg with anything other than a pitiful offer of MTB gear :(

Isn't that a function of Hamburg being nowhere near any mountains? Certainly I remember a vibrant MTB scene in the Taunus during my 15 years in Hessen.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
Isn't that a function of Hamburg being nowhere near any mountains? Certainly I remember a vibrant MTB scene in the Taunus during my 15 years in Hessen.
Fair point. In my defence, when I was in the last in the UK, even everyday bikes were made to look like MTBs, even though they clearly weren't, as MTBs were seen as cool. Not a thing here in the Fatherland.

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Fair point. In my defence, when I was in the last in the UK, even everyday bikes were made to look like MTBs, even though they clearly weren't, as MTBs were seen as cool. Not a thing here in the Fatherland.

I'll agree there. The German touring bikes are the main focus and are very "Marmite". I bought my touring bike in England (and regretted it!) because I couldn't bear the thought of riding one of those old fashioned looking roadsters.

Bike now ordered. Delivery mid august. Give me a chance to get used to it before “muddy season” starts in the Cotswolds…
Wow, that was a quick decision process! My process usually takes between 1-2 years and after the purchase I dwell whether I made the right decision or not for around 3 months time. Then I slowly start to enjoy whatever I bought...

verysideways

Oct 17, 2018
Cotswolds
Wow, that was a quick decision process! My process usually takes between 1-2 years and after the purchase I dwell whether I made the right decision or not for around 3 months time. Then I slowly start to enjoy whatever I bought...
I’ve been absorbing information for a month or two, had a test ride of a Delite mountain with XT mech and a test ride of a Superdelite GT/GX (?) with gates and Rohloff so I’m happy I’ve reached the correct decision for the time being.
Maybe in a few years there will be more emtb options with Rohloff or similar.

verysideways

Oct 17, 2018
Cotswolds
Well done. I’m near Banbury on the East side of Cotswolds so I can come over a check it out :rolleyes:
I’m between Stroud and Cirencester, and when I’m not biking locally I’ve become somewhat addicted to South Wales, places like Afan and Cwmcarn. Forest of Dean isn’t too far away either.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
As nice as that is there are two big problems for me;
1. no dealer support in the uk, let alone near where I live. What happens with warranty?
2. there is an R&M dealer near where I live and I can purchase the bike through the cycle to work scheme, which means the price difference becomes about £3000! I’m sorry but I’m not paying £3000 more for the Nikolai when the R&M comes with the same motor, battery, display, belt drive, Rohloff, and broadly similar suspension and brakes.
My last two bikes before the Levo were Nicolai still got one great bikes. I looked a lot and spoke to them re ebox but no back up in UK so put me off. Geomatron ? Not interested. My mate a dealer just bought 2 complete bikes and 2 frames 17 grand only got 10 percent discount. Do fancy Rholof hub though.

verysideways

Oct 17, 2018
Cotswolds
My last two bikes before the Levo were Nicolai still got one great bikes. I looked a lot and spoke to them re ebox but no back up in UK so put me off. Geomatron ? Not interested. My mate a dealer just bought 2 complete bikes and 2 frames 17 grand only got 10 percent discount. Do fancy Rholof hub though.
Exactly - if there was a UK dealer, preferably one within a sensible distance of my house and with a solid reputation then I’d definitely be looking at the EBOXX… but in the absence of any backup it’s just too much money to fork out.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
This has to be the way forward for EMTBs I just hate the derailleur.Your solution looks good .
I am following developments of the Revonte One Drive Which appears to take the gearbox to an entirely new level
Its taking along time to come to market and I hope they are successful.....if not your route is my 2nd choice.
perhaps retrofitting to my Focus .I do fancy the belt drive but that could be a problem unless the "splittable " belts are acceptable.
Cant wait for your assessment ?
Revonte - Revonte

mark harris

Nov 2, 2018
New forest, Hampshire
Hi < Ive got the super delite 2021 , ive used it all winter in the new forest Hampshire and its an amazing bike
even though its a fairly heavy bike its balances really well and is easy to ride in all conditions
In the mud it just ploughs on through and can surprisingly get you up and down some tricky stuff.
The best thing is going out for a big ride knowing you have stacks of battery to use and knowing you can keep it in turbo or take a longer route.
The set up on the bike when you buy it is all there the only thing ive changed is higher bars.
The geared hub has the best range in gears on a bike which ive ever ridden , better than my turbo levo , the Important thing to know is that you have to think about what gear you should be in for a hill and stay in it , you cant really change half way up !
The belt drive is the future , ive had no problems , it clears all the mud and is quite all the time.
Ive got a 2019 Turbo levo expert as well which i take to the bike parks , i don't think i would smash down some big runs on the R&M i think it has its limits .
If i had to sell one of the bikes and keep the best one for all round fun , i would sell the Turbo levo
I know the R&M is an expensive bike to buy so i hope this info helps .

verysideways

Oct 17, 2018
Cotswolds
Hi < Ive got the super delite 2021 , ive used it all winter in the new forest Hampshire and its an amazing bike
even though its a fairly heavy bike its balances really well and is easy to ride in all conditions
In the mud it just ploughs on through and can surprisingly get you up and down some tricky stuff.
In the mud it just ploughs on through? This is the real world experience myself and i suspect a few others have been waiting for :)
Very interesting to hear your other thoughts on the bike too, thanks for sharing.

Out of interest, do you find the motor in the R&M a lot louder than that in the Levo?
And how have you found the Rohloff overall, and the E14 shifting in particular?
I found 7th gear quite noisy on my test ride, and the Bosch motor seems a little louder than the Brose.

mark harris

Nov 2, 2018
New forest, Hampshire
i would say slightly loader , i dont really like any noise coming from a bike when im riding and the motor doesn't register with me when im riding.
Ive ridden with Brose motors for years and was a bit un easy about riding with the new Bosch motor but i must say its impressed me with its punch when you need it.
The E14 shifting is quick / easy / spot on every time its just who is using it .
The Rohloff hub is a great bit kit but you have to treat it with respect as its a geared hub , you press to change up a gear you back off the pedals a bit, nice and easy, if you want to get a move on you can you can hold the button down and go up three gears or down the gears, you just cant hold your finger on the button and crash through the gears going up a hill .
The hub its self does make a few noises which ive got used to.
Ive not noticed any difference in the gear noises but i only ride off road with the bike so there's all different noises going on.
Every time you come to a stop or a gate and the geared hub goes back into 5th to pull away again is just brilliant, you can feel the hub changing the gears back to 5th through the pedals which may put some people off.

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
Photos! Photos! I was looking for a IGH belt drive emtb for 2 years, no one offered an affordable spec, so settled for a Spectral:eek:n. But I'm still hoping it becomes a thing.

verysideways

Oct 17, 2018
Cotswolds
Well, my 2019 Kenevo Expert went yesterday so i'm now bikeless until the R&M arrives.
Ok, i've still got my 2002 Klein Adept, but that's a VERY different bike :)

Would love to see some pictures of yours @mark harris

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Well, my 2019 Kenevo Expert went yesterday so i'm now bikeless until the R&M arrives.
Ok, i've still got my 2002 Klein Adept, but that's a VERY different bike :)

Would love to see some pictures of yours @mark harris
I was forced to go out on Nicolai last week Levo had a sore freehub. Sooo slow and hard graft after 2 years on Ebike. It is up for sale but I'm thinking of keeping it for very wet days and maybe get used to it again . Ebike maintenance has cost me a lot in two years just retired I'm looking at it differently.

Homeyjay

May 12, 2021
Uk
I know that this is a a few weeks old but I just found it. I have the Delite Mountain with the Rohloff e-14. I have no problems with it whatsoever. Been through plenty of mud and crap and the bikes never missed a beat where my Cube would have needed constant cleaning of the rear mech and chain. My only regret is that I didn’t get the bike a year ago.. View attachment 66262
5F625BBF-ACCE-4FCA-B63A-B4122066AABC.jpeg

Last edited:

verysideways

Oct 17, 2018
Cotswolds
I know that this is a a few weeks old but I just found it. I have the Delite Mountain with the Rohloff e-14. I have no problems with it whatsoever. Been through plenty of mud and crap and the bikes never missed a beat where my Cube would have needed constant cleaning of the rear mech and chain. My only regret is that I didn’t get the bike a year ago.. View attachment 66262
Legend! Thank you.
Mine is due late august, I can’t wait.
I’ve gone for the grey rather than the red.
Have you got the 500 or the 625 battery? How do you find the range?

Homeyjay

May 12, 2021
Uk
Legend! Thank you.
Mine is due late august, I can’t wait.
I’ve gone for the grey rather than the red.
Have you got the 500 or the 625 battery? How do you find the range?
625 battery. Longest ride so far is 30 miles. Returned with 60% ish battery! I updated the photo as I added the rack and mudguards. It’s an absolutely awesome bike - feels like it’s been hewn directly from the alloy!

verysideways

Oct 17, 2018
Cotswolds
625 battery. Longest ride so far is 30 miles. Returned with 60% ish battery! I updated the photo as I added the rack and mudguards. It’s an absolutely awesome bike - feels like it’s been hewn directly from the alloy!
Was that mostly flat, and mostly in Tour or Eco? How are you finding the Rohloff?
Oh my god I’m so excited to get mine now ?

Homeyjay

May 12, 2021
Uk
It was a mixture of usually 30% Eco, 60% Tour and the most remainder the power is off. Yes, I turn off the power in the flat as I like to exercise more when I can! Also a few % of the remaining two.
The Rohloff is very good and amazing with the belt drive. Most of the time you’ll be using gears 7 to 14 but if you want to do some crazy climbs, you can drop it lower, but it’s unlikely that you will as it just oozes power an any gear. The power delivery is just different.
Gears below 8 are slightly more noisy that a normal Bosch setup but apparently that will reduce once the Rohloff is run in. Freewheeling is quieter in gears 1-7 than 8 to 14.
As someone else mentioned, the gear will change to 5 when you come to a stop. I find this really useful as I’m usually in the wrong gear when I stop anyway! You can program any gear to be your ‘stop’ gear in any case.
Above all, I love the lack of pissing around constantly with the chain, cassette, derailleur, cables etc. I hated fiddling with these and hated that they need to be kept clean regularly. All I do to the DM is just turn the hose on it and I swear, the mud just slides off everything. The paint, the belt, the Rohloff, everything. You’re going to love this thing!
Let me know if you need any more info!

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
I’d love to retrofit one of these units but I can’t see a way to do it. Two reasons, chain wheel for a belt doesn’t exist and electronic integration of the shifting.
I know I could go chain and hydraulic shift but that seems like a half job.

Perhaps a new bike is the only answer.
I do like the look of the R+M. Perhaps it’s time to pull the trigger on the Nicolai?

Good thread. Keep the Intel coming.

verysideways

Oct 17, 2018
Cotswolds
I’d love to retrofit one of these units but I can’t see a way to do it. Two reasons, chain wheel for a belt doesn’t exist and electronic integration of the shifting.
I know I could go chain and hydraulic shift but that seems like a half job.

Perhaps a new bike is the only answer.
I do like the look of the R+M. Perhaps it’s time to pull the trigger on the Nicolai?

Good thread. Keep the Intel coming.
I thought about adding a Rohloff to my Kenevo and going single chain. Much cheaper than what I am doing and would have had the Rohloff grip shift which I’d say is likely to be more robust/reliable than the E14 shifter…. But I really wanted the belt drive.

and the thing that put me off the Nicolai was the lack of UK dealer support.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
ooooh dear this is going to be expensive!!!!
Local BS is an agent and is offering lengthy test rides when next batch arrives shortly......
That OffRoad looks great NO derailleur .. NO Chain Ebike bliss
Prices keep going up....so I had better buy quickly before 'er indoors finds out . :love:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles