riding without power

festaa

Apr 25, 2020
uk
evening everyone
i'm that new to emtb my bike doesn't arrive for another 12 days lol ....
anyway can you ride your emtb with the power tuned off ? and if so will it do any damage ..
i know it defeats the object.. but im thinking if you run out of power on a long ride can you continue riding the bike without doing any damage ?

cheers gary

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Yes, ride it with the power switched off for as long as you have the stamina. It won't do the bike any harm at all. On my Shimano powered bike, there is a setting between Eco and Walk called "Off". The motor and display is still active but no power is supplied to the motor. I ride in that mode quite frequently.

The second thing that attracted me to my current bike Focus Jam2 was the first 100 yards I rode the test bike before I realised that the power was off. I was new to emtbs at that time, but I was really impressed by that.

Apr 26, 2020
Out west
I always ride mine without power, even on short uphills. When it gets steep or long I turn it on to get a little assist. Or if its hot to get more speed and a breeze to cool off. Thats one of the things the haters dont get. Not all of us ride at max speed to get to the top quicker. I try to get as good or better work out as on my non-e bike. Plus, Its Fantastic how stable and planted compared to the light bike on the downs

Winryn

Nov 10, 2019
Shropshire
The second thing that attracted me to my current bike Focus Jam2 was the first 100 yards I rode the test bike before I realised that the power was off. I was new to emtbs at that time, but I was really impressed by that.

I ride the same bike and ran out of battery at 30 miles recently and had to do that last 2 miles without assistance. After doing that amount of miles in trail mode the bike felt like it weighed 40kg, like riding on tar:p I had previously been very pleased with its light weight. To be fair I have a 11kg hard tail and that feels incredible slow these days so I think it’s more the direct comparison of assistance vs analogue minutes apart

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I ride the same bike and ran out of battery at 30 miles recently and had to do that last 2 miles without assistance. After doing that amount of miles in trail mode the bike felt like it weighed 40kg, like riding on tar:p I had previously been very pleased with its light weight. To be fair I have a 11kg hard tail and that feels incredible slow these days so I think it’s more the direct comparison of assistance vs analogue minutes apart
I get the bike above the cutoff speed on a regular basis and it doesn't feel too bad. It just feels like what it is, a heavy bike with big, fat, grippy, low pressure tyres. However, it doesn't feel like the motor is dragging like the Bosch powered test bikes were doing.

Winryn

Nov 10, 2019
Shropshire
I get the bike above the cutoff speed on a regular basis and it doesn't feel too bad. It just feels like what it is, a heavy bike with big, fat, grippy, low pressure tyres. However, it doesn't feel like the motor is dragging like the Bosch powered test bikes were doing.

I’m pretty sure there is zero drag, just the Michelin ewilds :) Thankfully mine is at the 20mph USA limit so the cut out is a lot less noticeable than when at the 15mph uk limit

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
I recently rode for over four miles on my Levo HT before I realised that I wasn't struggling for some reason, I just wasn't getting any assistance even though it was switched on :rolleyes::giggle:

Cuddles

Apr 22, 2020
North Vancouver
I had a similar riding on tar experience; turns out I had blown through a bottom bracket (I ride a lot in really really wet); but given I always ride with the assist hadn't even noticed (I'm sure it was impacting my range somewhat, or significantly, given how tar like it was once assist cut off).

Cuddles

Apr 22, 2020
North Vancouver
I’m pretty sure there is zero drag, just the Michelin ewilds :) Thankfully mine is at the 20mph USA limit so the cut out is a lot less noticeable than when at the 15mph uk limit
really? I didn't realize the speed cuts were different; any idea what speed Canadian bikes are spec'd to (in km/hr of course!!)?

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía

That would be the previous generation Bosch? The Gen 4 motor has no noticeable drag.

When I'm out riding with the missus, usually she's in Trail mode - and I have the motor turned off. Just as with the Shimano, there is an "OFF" setting where the display is active but the motor offers no support.

The only odd thing about the Bosch power management is that riding with the motor on but above 25kph, the estimated battery range increases. Riding the same stretch with the motor off, but also above 25kph, the estimated battery range decreases. That said, the battery range estimation is like a random number generator anyway.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
That would be the previous generation Bosch? The Gen 4 motor has no noticeable drag.

When I'm out riding with the missus, usually she's in Trail mode - and I have the motor turned off. Just as with the Shimano, there is an "OFF" setting where the display is active but the motor offers no support.

The only odd thing about the Bosch power management is that riding with the motor on but above 25kph, the estimated battery range increases. Riding the same stretch with the motor off, but also above 25kph, the estimated battery range decreases. That said, the battery range estimation is like a random number generator anyway.

I guess you've ridden both the new Bosch and the Shimano E8000 motors now, which do you prefer?

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
I always ride mine without power, even on short uphills. When it gets steep or long I turn it on to get a little assist. Or if its hot to get more speed and a breeze to cool off. Thats one of the things the haters dont get. Not all of us ride at max speed to get to the top quicker. I try to get as good or better work out as on my non-e bike. Plus, Its Fantastic how stable and planted compared to the light bike on the downs

Same here. From reading stuff on forums, I felt like the odd one out, as most people seem to ride with power assist all the time!

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
I like claiming the odd hill with the bike off, its becoming a bit of a chore to be honest, the longer I've had this bike the more I feel guilty turning the motor on :oops:.

It really does make you appreciate how much power is available in the 1st power mode setting and with the correct gear it will still dominate some hills.

For me I think I'm a bit obsessed with using the bike to get fit, don't get me wrong sometimes I just cant be arsed and wind the power up on the bosch gen4 to tour mode or above if its a challenge.

I'm also very conscious that if you go out there using big power then there's no novelty left and your never going to go back to off or low power modes.

One day i have promised myself a fun run out where i just sit on the bike and let it take me through my destination on full power :oops: On the other hand I'm not convinced after that i will ever be able to use the bike again in its low power mode :)

All this talk about what mode people use on a forum is really irrelevant considering age injury and health issues but I would suggest just enjoy the thing and do whatever is correct for your sercomstances .
The off mode on most if not all bikes is actually a mode so i guess its fine to use .

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
If I am riding slower than about 10 mph (in the neighborhood, it's Florida flat) I usually leave the power off. Past that I am most often in level 1 (35% on a Levo SL, which is not a lot of boost).

Darren

Sep 25, 2019
Warwick
I almost never ride without power. If I want to elevate my heart rate I go above 15mph.
I prefer going further for my effort if I can and the acceleration is what gets me out of the house in the first place.

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
evening everyone
i'm that new to emtb my bike doesn't arrive for another 12 days lol ....
anyway can you ride your emtb with the power tuned off ? and if so will it do any damage ..
i know it defeats the object.. but im thinking if you run out of power on a long ride can you continue riding the bike without doing any damage ?

cheers gary
Yes, it won't damage the bike. I sometimes do it on level or downhill spots, but bikes are very heavy so you won't like riding it uphill.

deksawyer

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jan 11, 2020
Fife, Scotland
Why buy an emtb that's 22kg + and ride with the power off? You're all fucking crazy. There's much more capable bikes to be doing that on....and they're 100% human powered.

I gave up mtbing in early 2000s due to work, marriage, dodgy right knee etc so I wouldn't be cycling nowadays without electricity..... Did I mention my dodgy right knee?

I am, however looking at those lovely Norcos and Nukeproofs and thinking, yes, someday soon. But probably not...

Everyone's different I guess, so if it floats your boat..... But you're still fucking weird.

Apr 26, 2020
Out west
Why buy an emtb that's 22kg + and ride with the power off? You're all fucking crazy. There's much more capable bikes to be doing that on....and they're 100% human powered.

I gave up mtbing in early 2000s due to work, marriage, dodgy right knee etc so I wouldn't be cycling nowadays without electricity..... Did I mention my dodgy right knee?

I am, however looking at those lovely Norcos and Nukeproofs and thinking, yes, someday soon. But probably not...

Everyone's different I guess, so if it floats your boat..... But you're still fucking weird.

Lol, actually, the only masochistic part of it is riding up inclines. You'd be surprised how the inertia of the heavier bike rolls like a tank on level ground and blasts into the wind if you've come from lighter bikes....I still ride my Evil regularly. I've only ridden the Levo a couple times since I've had it. Too much snow and mud on the places they are allowed around here.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Yes I'm weird.. I'll admit. I can only afford one good bike, and that's my emtb. My previous giant trance got stolen. I ride a lot for fitness. I hate running. I also enjoy epic rides with 2000 vertical metres or over 100 km in a day on trails, so if you want your battery to last and don't want to carry a heavy second battery, you use your muscles. Am loving my Bosch gen 4 for that. I plan to do another Transalp if possible this year, and therefore am working on strengthening my legs and getting my fitness up.

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK

Stop trying to justify the fact that you’re a lazy old bugger to everyone! :LOL:

eBikes are still for exercise, some just choose to do more of it on them than others.;)

RedTed

Oct 1, 2019
Sheffield
I've seen the 'off' setting on my ebike but just assumed it was just there for the novelty value? I like to luxuriate in Turbo and don't care if I'm spoiling myself rotten :D

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
On long rides I have pedalled my Levo in Off for the first 10-20km, and it’s very much close to a normal bike to ride, just feels slightly heavier.

Hayes2209

May 1, 2020
Birmingham
I’ve only had mine a week and the first day managed to get out and do 20 miles in turbo and couldn’t catch my breath at the power and speed you can almost instantly reach since then I’ve only mainly been on flattish roads and had it switched off most of the time as I’ve been riding with my dad whos on a roadie and my levo ht seems to roll better and quicker than his! Who’s of thought that eh! As soon as I’m on my own though it’s switched back on and I’m back to catching cars up!

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
Fu*k riding with the motor off, ive managed to liberate myself from the shackles of guilt, the reason I stopped riding years ago was the pain, it never got any easier you just went further and faster. Once the novelty wears off so does the riding.

I've just done my little 11 mile training route with some power on the bike, I reckon its just as painful with power if you push to get the speed up but twice the fun , that's me converted to e bikes ( again) if I slip into turning the motor off in the future I will remind myself to dig out this thread .

Incidentally there should be a forum topic at the bottom of the main page dedicated to people who have a problem, you would introduce yourself like an alcoholic . "Hello my name is Steve and I like to ride my EMTB with the motor off"
:eek:

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Incidentally there should be a forum topic at the bottom of the main page dedicated to people who have a problem, you would introduce yourself like an alcoholic . "Hello my name is Steve and I like to ride my EMTB with the motor off"
:eek:

What? You mean like this...

[Edit: I removed the "Hello my name is GrahamPaul and I like to ride my EMTB with the motor off" from my sig because the moment passed]

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles