Riding with prescription glasses?

Major Stare

May 5, 2021
Nottinghamshire
As i am now the wrong side of 50, according to the opticians, i have to wear varifocal glasses full time.

I asked about prescription cycling glasses suitable for mtb riders and was told to use prescription sunglasses. My question is, what options do i have? What do you, riders with varifocal glasses wear?

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
As i am now the wrong side of 50, according to the opticians, i have to wear varifocal glasses full time.

I asked about prescription cycling glasses suitable for mtb riders and was told to use prescription sunglasses. My question is, what options do i have? What do you, riders with varifocal glasses wear?
Contact this company. They are experts in this field:

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Oakley makes good frame and lenses, but the top of the line lenses, with polarized and other kind of treatment they offer, made it impossible to read my iphone screen and the multimedia display, so its better try those special lens treatments before spending the extra $.

MasterDabber

Aug 18, 2023
Surrey
I wear Optilab varifocal, photchromatic cycling glasses. I have, I think, the Flow model which has great ventilation and has never steamed up. Optilab are on-line ordering but you can also speak to them. They are very helpful and I found them easy to deal with.

Feb 27, 2023
Teesside UK
I just ordered prescription sunnies from specs4less, were about £25. Not cycling specific but works well and not that bothered knackering a £25 pair of sunnies than a pair that's £200.

Eliadn

Jul 25, 2022
Croatia
I use prescription contact lenses (daily ones) and whichever protection eyewear for biking. That's the most cost effective solution in my opinion.
Important is to find good lenses that don't bother your eye.

Dave 80

Oct 17, 2019
UK
These over specs work well for me...
UVEX SUPER OTG (I prefer these)

IMG_6604.JPG

or

Very good by not such a good all round vision as the above.

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@Major Stare Years ago, I faced this problem. Initially I didn't consider prescription biking glasses. I looked at safety specs/goggles made for people that wear ordinary specs. There are lots of them about as they are made for industrial use. I tried quite a few but just could not get on with them. I wanted something robust and that would stop twigs, flies and mud from getting into to my eye socket area. I'd had a very close call with a twig poking me on the bony orbit and but for a small fraction in time or distance I would have lost an eye! So proper biking specs it was going to be.

I looked at full prescription from a variety of suppliers. All very expensive. In the end I chose to go with Oakley Straightjackets but from an internet supplier (much cheaper). Instead of using my varifocal prescription, I examined the detail and extracted from it the single vision part (distance) and used that. If I want to see anything close up, I have to remove the specs or lift them up a bit so I can see under them. It has worked very well for over 12 years. Don't forget that your eyes and hence your prescription will change over the years, so whatever you save now you will save at least that every time.

100% user review for the Oakleys by the way. Despite many falls, breaking of helmets on overhanging branches and so forth, the Oakleys stayed in place every single time. I even trod on them once and they separated into three pieces! But 5 seconds later they were back together again and still working years later. Spare socks and nose pieces are available. :love:

If your eyes are really bad and need a lot of correction both for distance and close up, then the above approach may not work. Can you simulate it? Use a pair of single vision specs, or maybe tape up the bottom half of the varifocal lens. Has your optician discounted contact lenses? I don't like the idea of contacts, full stop, so that was never an option for me.

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I use contact lenses (varifocal) for riding. I’ve found that there is always a compromise on near or far clarity with contacts, so I get a prescription that gives me better near that far vision and it works very well. You can then use any sunglasses or clear Lenses.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I’m hesitant to try prescription riding glasses but some clear prescription Oakley’s may work for me. I need glasses for text on my phone or the fine text on the Kiox. The colour'd mode on the Kiox is my best hope (Purple = eMTB mode) and the Kiox page is set to the digital clock. Those are the easiest things to see at a quick glance. Seeing the trail ahead is not a problem.

I tried chromatic (?)lenses but those did not switch from light to dark fast enough. They basically acted as a bad strobe while riding through the forest.

Twice a week (+\~) I ride with a Doctor Who uses no eye protection 🤷‍♂️ while riding. Wtf. I’ve only explained once, to him, my near misses and minor eye injuries. Maybe he sweats too much …but still, the chances of eye injury is too high and too risky in this sport.

For now my prescription glasses go in a sock and in my backpack/hip-pac.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I wear varifocals day to day. I wear a single contact lens in my weaker eye when on the bike and it's a pretty good compromise that doesn't cost a fortune.
For reference, my prescription is -3.25, -1.75

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Twice a week (+\~) I ride with a Doctor Who uses no eye protection 🤷‍♂️ while riding. Wtf. I’ve only explained once, to him, my near misses and minor eye injuries. Maybe he sweats too much …but still, the chances of eye injury is too high and too risky in this sport.
Relying on an "it won't happen to me" is an unwise strategy by your Doctor friend. Very early on in my mtb experience, I hit one of those small diameter side branches that the trail builders had clipped off, leaving about 3" stuck out, like a pencil. It hit me on the bony orbit around my eye. I never saw it coming and but for a fraction of time or space, I would have lost an eye! I rode with safety specs or safety goggles until I could buy some proper riding glasses. I chose the Oakley Straightjacket because it fits all around the eye area sitting nicely onto the bony orbit. I have never had any flies or mud get past the frame. Because of the socks and the nose piece, they have never fallen off or been dislodged.

Note: According to Oakley, the socks and nose piece are made from "Unobtanium". They called it that because at first, they couldn't find a material that met their design specification. :)

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Our eyes have taken a billion years to evolve and take a split-second to destroy. It’s a precious organ for this sport. 😳 👁️.

A curved lenses help deflect those nasty twigs. I’d rather take a three inch pencil-limb in the cheek.

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
I'm 56, and in the contact lens camp. I use an Oakley cycling sunglass, from my road biking days, with gray or chromatic lens based on where I'll be riding. I have a tough time reading in anything but total bright sunlight, so I carry a set of cheap readers, either hung on my collar, if cruising, or in my pack if riding hard. At $10 a pair, I have them scattered through the house & garage, so if I break a set, I'm not out much.

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
By the way, Oakley has a demo rig they take to events. They shot a BB at Oakley & other glasses to prove the safety. They will even take your glasses & shoot them if you want to let them... All sun glass lenses are not created equally, that's for sure. It was eye opening.

Dustjunky

Nov 11, 2020
Derby

hi mate ,I have the same problem as you …..I can’t ride in varifocal glasses so i wear contacts ,with a distance prescription ….you don’t need to see close up …it works for me

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
What do you, riders with varifocal glasses wear?
A few years ago I bought a pair of Adidas Evil Eye Pro glasses with photochromic (nearly clear to very dark grey) main lenses and a clip-in for prescription lenses. I had the clip-in fitted with varifocals and have been wearing this set for more than 10k km now. The photochromic lens is very fast and has one of the widest light transmission ranges available.

Adidas sold the brand and they are now offered under the Evil Eye name. An almost identical model they sell now is this one: https://www.evileye.com/en/sportglasses/trace-ng-pro/l/9000
You can choose different frame sizes, colors and other lenses. There are also a number of alternative frame models.

Howz

Oct 12, 2019
Chester
I have recently invested in a pair of Rudy rydons with a varifocal prescription lens insert, I also have the photochromic lens and option to change that to a different lens, really like them 👍🏻

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
I use photochromic bifocals with a smaller reading element than you normally get and they're perfect for anything outdoors.

SteveTTT

Mar 15, 2022
Hampshire, UK
I normally use my everyday distance prescription glasses, which have photochromic grey lenses. They’re ok, not very good in woodland when you suddenly hit a very dark stretch.
I also have Zeiss shooting glasses with yellow lenses that work really well on a bike. Lenses are larger than normal glasses so peripheral vision is enhanced.
I never wear my varifocals on a bike or in a car. Find them very disorienting.

simonsmidt

Aug 8, 2023
Overijse
I've had the same issue and was confronted with varifocus glasses in my cyclingglasses, which costed €600 :oops:
Instead, a cost effective solution is to wear daily contacts in one eye and leave the other as it is with normal chromatic cyclingglasses, I use 100%, which solves the problem for me not to be able to see my cycling computer.

CraigR

Aug 10, 2020
Livermore, Ca
I ride with progressive (I believe this is the same a what you call varifocal?) Maui Jim sunglass with no issue. I like them better than my Ray Bans (Which I loved) because they wrap around a bit more and provide more wind protection.

However, I also play racquetball and use only high impact single vision (distance) for racquetball. I just bought a new pair from Wiley X (Clear lens, but they have all sorts of lens colors). They will be here in a few weeks. But check out their website (Wiley X Sunglasses and Safety Glasses - USA Online Store). All their glasses and sunglasses are high impact lens. Their main customers are military and police and all their glasses are ANSI approved for those applications. They have removable windshields on the sides and removable foam lines around the eye to prevent wind damage to the eye as well. They also have some models with replaceable lens so you can have dark, light and I believe even clear lenses

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ

Your optometrist can put prescription lenses on most frames. I purchased a set of Oakley that I liked, had the optometrist remove the lenses and put in a prescription.

Feb 6, 2023
Uk
These over specs work well for me...
UVEX SUPER OTG (I prefer these)

View attachment 127996

or

Very good by not such a good all round vision as the above.

Yes that’s what I use. Screwfix do similar. Just safety glasses designed to go over glasses. No issues and cheap. I don’t see the sense in paying out for stuff that will get scratched easily and covered on muck.

And I can’t help think the op needs a better optician that’s not ripping him off, I’m 55 and wear bi focals. I can’t see how being over 50 means you have to pay more for vary focals. What reason did they give for that?

Last edited:

Bender

Sep 9, 2023
California

LOL. I'm on the wrong side of 50 too. :)

I've used multifocals (aka varifocals) for many years now, including in sunglasses. I just buy a regular frame and ask the optometrist to install prescription lenses on them.

You can also buy sunglasses and replace the lenses. The problem here is that sunglasses lenses are usually made in curved shapes and not all of them can take prescription lenses. In general, I avoid buying sunglasses because you're paying for quality tinted lenses that you're not going to use anyway.

Livo

Mar 10, 2023
Nottingham

I've got single lenses (can manage without varifocals) from RXSports (varis are an option). They are Smith Pathway and are photochromic. The glasses have been brilliant and wrap around. I don't want sunglasses in winter or in the woods so photochromic are just the job. They are expensive but tbh will last for years. This is my second pair in 16 yrs!! RXSports as a company are super efficient and helpful. Send you three pairs to try and then glaze them as you want. Hope this helps.

Btw I didn't want those insert lens things they look rubbish.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles