Riding up steps.

Digging dog

May 25, 2022
Greater Manchester
Chinese gardens Rivington.
Ridden this area on the MTB but only down the steps, thought it was time to try doing it from the bottom up.

1st set.jpg

I managed the first set "JUST" it wasn't pretty but did it several times just to be sure.

2nd set.jpg

Decided to try this set of steps, failed miserably. Best attempt, I made the first section, gave up at that, in case I damaged the bike.
One problem I noticed was that the wheelbase of the bike is a perfect match for the step spacing so both wheels hit at the same time.

Nukeproof Megawatt, tyre pressure set to 25 psi front & 28 psi rear with a tubeless set up. Use a mid to low gears, Trail mode seemed more suitable for the gradient, Boost felt very aggressive & difficult to control.

Has anybody ridden this area?
Anybody got any suggestions or advice that might help me ?

rod9301

Oct 10, 2020
US
Go slowly, balance when you feel that you stalled and pedal. You need to be in a mode that's torque sensing.

You will have enough power to go over the stairs.

Or pick up speed before the stairs let momentum be your friend, and keep pedaling.

You will stall eventually, but if you balance and keep pedaling, even when it feels hard, you will make it.

Key is not to panic and stop pedaling.

eMullet

Mar 28, 2021
Planet Earth
Why flats? How does clipless hinder your performance on stair climb? Here is a clip where I climb a set of stairs. These might not be as steep as yours, hard to say from the picture and video.

Just keep your balance and keep the pedals moving. I ran those stairs @ Eco. Also running clipped in. Keep steady cadence and power so that you don't lose traction.

Last edited:

Digging dog

May 25, 2022
Greater Manchester
Thank for the info.
I did get as far as the first level section, than as you mentioned I ran out of momentum.
It's definitely a return visit planned for next week, maybe tweek the motor settings a little just until I get the confidence.
As I mentioned the step spacing is exactly the same as the bikes wheelbase so maybe a slightly faster approach might help to overcome this problem. Or maybe it will nip the tyre 😱

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
To use the “entry speed” thechnic you’ll definitly need to use clipless pedals and ..

Have wings 😇🫣

rod9301

Oct 10, 2020
US
Why flats? How does clipless hinder your performance on stair climb? Here is a clip where I climb a set of stairs. These might not be as steep as yours, hard to say from the picture and video.

Just keep your balance and keep the pedals moving. I ran those stairs @ Eco. Also running clipped in. Keep steady cadence and power so that you don't lose traction.
I think psychologically is easier to keep going after you stall, instead of just putting a foot down.

Canmore TLCC 29

Jun 16, 2020
Canmore, AB Canada

I am surprised anyone uses clipless on MTB’s anymore. Five Tens opened a new world of cycling for me. I still ride clipless on my road bikes, but not any other bikes.

eMullet

Mar 28, 2021
Planet Earth
I am surprised anyone uses clipless on MTB’s anymore. Five Tens opened a new world of cycling for me. I still ride clipless on my road bikes, but not any other bikes.

Why are you surprised? While this is not an argument on why someone should ride clipped in, have you noticed that most of DH/Enduro/XCO riders use clipless?

For me clipless is the way. One of the most important thing for me is that when I'm clipped in, my foot always on the right position and orientation on the pedals. Also lifting the back end of my bike gets easier when climbing up high table ledges. Also, I don't get bloody shins because the pedals won't slip, despite running a clipless pedal with platform+pins (Crankbrothers Mallet-E).

I'm not saying that either pedal selection is better than other, rather saying that there are benefits and disadvantages to both. And it comes down to personal preference.

Last edited:

Canmore TLCC 29

Jun 16, 2020
Canmore, AB Canada
Why are you surprised? While this is not an argument on why someone should ride clipped in, have you noticed that most of DH/Enduro/XCO riders use clipless?

For me clipless is the way. One of the most important thing for me is that when I'm clipped in, my foot always on the right position and orientation on the pedals. Also lifting the back end of my bike gets easier when climbing up high table ledges. Also, I don't get bloody shins because the pedals won't slip, despite running a clipless pedal with platform+pins (Crankbrothers Mallet-E).

I'm not saying that either pedal selection is better than other, rather saying that there are benefits and disadvantages to both. And it comes down to personal preference.
Yeah, good points. I was being egocentric for sure. I agree clipless have advantages.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles