Riding Intercoms

CarolinaCrawler

Jan 30, 2023
North Carolina
Do any of you wear intercoms while riding? My wife and I had a set of these...

and truly enjoyed using them. They worked well in the winter, but once it started getting hot I started having problems with mine. I do not believe they are sweat rated. As a guy to sweats alot, I have been through 4 of them. My wife doesn't sweat nearly as much and she is still on her original one. My last one didn't last a whole ride before giving up the ghost.

That said, I really liked being able to talk on the trail. I'm looking for something to replace them. I know Sena makes helmets, but none my size. I was just wondering if anyone else had a way to communicate and if so what was it.

Last edited:

CarolinaCrawler

Jan 30, 2023
North Carolina
I tried shouting at the wife once but she was far ahead of me and couldn’t hear me. Or she didn’t care 😳. Coms might be handy sometimes now that I think of it.
They are incredibly handy. I went riding with my daughter a few weeks back and we were able to talk for and hour and a half! It’s so hard to get uninterrupted time with kids now a days that it was a joy. They are truly something that I enjoy and riding now seems lonely.

Really want to find a suitable replacement.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver

and truly enjoyed using them. They worked well in the winter, but once it started getting hot I started having problems with mine. I do not believe they are sweat rated. As a guy to sweats alot, I have been through 4 of them. My wife doesn't sweat nearly as much and she is still on her original one. My last one didn't last a whole ride before giving up the ghost.

That said, I really liked being able to talk on the trail. I'm looking for something to replace them. I know Sena makes helmets, but none my size. I was just wondering if anyone else had a way to communicate and if so what was it.
I usually ride right on the back wheel of who I am following so I can get some nice video of them so communication was not an issue. When I rode with my ex wife, I could rarely hear her and vice versa. After years of counselling, I finally figured out it was not the bike riding . 🤷‍♂️

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Wouldn’t mind using them while riding the tame trails with my wife.

But not in the mountains with my buddies. I would only hear grunts and a lot of loud cursing …lots of cursing 🤬. Maybe try the occasional cry for help.

CarolinaCrawler

Jan 30, 2023
North Carolina
After much searching and contemplating we order a pair of these;

They are more money than I wanted to spend but they are supposed to be nice. We bought them through Amazon, so if they don't work well we'll send them back.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Blimey! a bit more????
Look big and clumsy, but if they work.....
I Kind of like this idea, but not sure my riding buddies would?

RiderOnTheStorm

Here you have the ultimate communication system when riding :
-multi-frequency portable fm/am ham radios
-multi-riders, extended range (10+km), long autonomy (several days), multi-purpose, inexpensive (w/ Baofeng) and reliable.

Great setup, worth considering for longer rides with limited cell reception IMO.

communication.jpg

CarolinaCrawler

Jan 30, 2023
North Carolina
Here you have the ultimate communication system when riding :
-multi-frequency portable fm/am ham radios
-multi-riders, extended range (10+km), long autonomy (several days), multi-purpose, inexpensive (w/ Baofeng) and reliable.

Great setup, worth considering for longer rides with limited cell reception IMO.

View attachment 121078

I went down this road several times as I already have access to all the equipment and own 4 Baofeng UV-82 radios. I even have a GMRS license to make everything legal in the US. The main problem with all of it is all of the cords. You either have to rely on a remote PTT button or VOX, which has never been Baofengs strong suit.

My family has other hobbies that often involve motorsports and we have an in vehicle intercom that works wonderfully. I guess that's where all this stems from. I just wanted that same ability while riding.

I had considered getting one of the many bluetooth intercoms available on amazon and just always wearing a full face helmet. That will probably be the route I go if the Milo doesn't work out.

DogRanger

Nov 24, 2021
Orange County, CA
I’ve been using the Sena Pi regularly on road and trail for about eight months and absolutely love it! We have long conversations without shouting and can warn of hazards ahead even when out of sight and 200 yards away. I even connect to my buddy who has an off-brand headset in his full face helmet. We’ve ridden four hours and constantly talked without needing a recharge. The units are small, light and clear. I can but rarely do listen to music but do take important phone which are also very clear below about 20 mph.

Only two significant downsides:
1. Can only connect to one other headset at a time so group riding is an issue.
2. Sena has a quality control problem. I’ve known a couple guys who returned units for replacement for different reasons. In these cases the second headset worked fine so I’d recommend buying from a source that will easily handle returns.

I don’t normally hear that well and have no problem understanding with the Pi. Volume goes higher than needed.

petkevich

Jun 6, 2023
San Diego

My son and I use helmet intercom on our dirt bikes. It has changed riding for us. My son chats up a storm and has made riding so much more enjoyable not so isolating in your head. Highly recommend. We have full face helmets so don't know if it would work on mtb half face bike helmets. Any get it to work? I don't want full face bike helmets.

CarolinaCrawler

Jan 30, 2023
North Carolina
I’ve been using the Sena Pi regularly on road and trail for about eight months and absolutely love it! We have long conversations without shouting and can warn of hazards ahead even when out of sight and 200 yards away. I even connect to my buddy who has an off-brand headset in his full face helmet. We’ve ridden four hours and constantly talked without needing a recharge. The units are small, light and clear. I can but rarely do listen to music but do take important phone which are also very clear below about 20 mph.

Only two significant downsides:
1. Can only connect to one other headset at a time so group riding is an issue.
2. Sena has a quality control problem. I’ve known a couple guys who returned units for replacement for different reasons. In these cases the second headset worked fine so I’d recommend buying from a source that will easily handle returns.

I don’t normally hear that well and have no problem understanding with the Pi. Volume goes higher than needed.
I really enjoyed the Sena Pi when it worked. It truly was a game changer for riding with someone. I just could not get one to last once the weather turned hot. The only thing I could think of is its not sweat resistant at all.

CarolinaCrawler

Jan 30, 2023
North Carolina
My son and I use helmet intercom on our dirt bikes. It has changed riding for us. My son chats up a storm and has made riding so much more enjoyable not so isolating in your head. Highly recommend. We have full face helmets so don't know if it would work on mtb half face bike helmets. Any get it to work? I don't want full face bike helmets.

If the Milo's don't work out our plan was to go to full face helmets with some of the amazon Bluetooth motorcycle intercoms. It would be worth it just to be able to communicate.

CarolinaCrawler

Jan 30, 2023
North Carolina
Just a little update, we tried the Milo's on a couple rides and a kayak trip. The work well and have a much higher range than the Sena's but ultimately we didn't like them. They were a little too "analog" for what we wanted. When talking they would work much like the vox on a radio. It wasn't a constant line of communication. We sent them back.

I ordered the largest Sena helmet and I'm going to try that. With the Sena's they sound like talking on a telephone. The line is always open. Just so easy to have a conversation.

Adasb

Subscriber
Jun 6, 2018
New Zealand
I like the idea of those Sena Pi's but can't see that they will work well with a full-face helmet. There are other options in the sena range but most seem more suited to motorcycle helmets.

Are there any recommendations for MTB Full-face lids?

Grendel

Subscriber
Dec 20, 2021
Texas
A friend and I bought the Sena M1 Evo helmet. It’s a super comfortable helmet with the “Wilkie talkie” built in. Not MIPS rated is the only negative. Can also function as phone Bluetooth. Speakers have no bass so they aren’t good for music but the microphone is great and blocks all wind noise. They advertise a range of half a mile or so. I’d say They are good for half that but you can be a good way apart and still chat with your buddy or significant other to warn of trail hazards, decide which turns to take, etc. You can connect an unlimited number of riders. Overall, I recommend.

CarolinaCrawler

Jan 30, 2023
North Carolina
Just a little update to this. I have over 100 miles on the Sena M1 helmet and I have to say it's pretty awesome. It works well and seems to be holding up. We are getting ready to purchase another one for my wife to replace her Pi. The helmet fits well and has lots of adjustment. The battery last considerably longer than the Pi.

So far I can say I highly recommend it if your looking for riding intercoms.

Adasb

Subscriber
Jun 6, 2018
New Zealand
I like the idea of those Sena Pi's but can't see that they will work well with a full-face helmet. There are other options in the sena range but most seem more suited to motorcycle helmets.

Are there any recommendations for MTB Full-face lids?

Just an update: We ended up getting a pair of Sena SMH5's for our full face MTB helmets. Not too tricky to install neatly and set-up. We've only had one ride, but it's transformative to use it. Usually riding with full-face helmets is a solitary activity, since you can't hear or be heard well. This has added another dimension. I thought the range with Bluetooth would be limited, but it surprised me how much gap between us before any drop outs. We usually ride close together but not on top of each other. The sound quality is fine for voice, but not audiophile for music-lovers.
Certainly recommended over the Pi for full-face helmets.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles