Ride Control One unit MY2021/2020 on Trance E MY2019?

mantas

Dec 6, 2019
Lithuania
Hello there,

Looking to replace my Ride Control One unit in advance before it brakes because of water ingress (known issue of MY2019 ride control).
Now the question is if my year 2019 Trance E is compatible with newer (v2) ride control one units?
Tried searching forums but didn't find one clear answer. Although it seems newer models should work too. So I got newer one from ebay (although not sure if MY2021 or 2020) and it doesn't seem to work. Lights turn on but there's no power delivered to the motor at all.

Thank you for your answers

Dgedge

May 20, 2020
France
Hi,
You can use MY2020 on your bike, it will provide you with ANT+.
MY2021 is called 'RideControl Ergo SG' and I read somewhere that even if it looks the same, the electronics inside is different and might not be compatible unless you are using the 'Smart Gateway' that goes nearby the motor (???)

look here : smart-gateway

Yetibos

Jan 28, 2020
Spain
If you want to install a new control with ant+ you need the -10 or -15, these are the newest versions for 2019 and 2020 bikes.

2021 models, at least the new trance 29er, have the RideContro Ergo, looks the same but is not compatible, even the connector is different.

mantas

Dec 6, 2019
Lithuania
DSC_0034.JPG

DSC_0036.JPG

So it looks like I got MY2021 which is not compatible with MY19, correct?
Which means I need to look out for 245-FLED28-10 model if I want that updated/fixed version.

DariuszHoryd

Sep 21, 2020
Poland / Gdansk
Hi guys! I've ordered a new Ant+ Ride Control One and I they brought me an 2020 model with 2021 - 245-FLED28-15 on the cover. But... I did connect, and everything works fine, and ant+ transmission to Garmin 130/E-bike app works fine. And try a shor ride, and all is fine, I can switch levels of engine support 1-5 ... no problems at all.
So, Now I'am confused ... seems that new controllers are compatible with 2019 bikes (my bike is Trance E+ 2 Pro 2019).

Best regards.

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
Hi guys! I've ordered a new Ant+ Ride Control One and I they brought me an 2020 model with 2021 - 245-FLED28-15 on the cover. But... I did connect, and everything works fine, and ant+ transmission to Garmin 130/E-bike app works fine. And try a shor ride, and all is fine, I can switch levels of engine support 1-5 ... no problems at all.
So, Now I'am confused ... seems that new controllers are compatible with 2019 bikes (my bike is Trance E+ 2 Pro 2019).

Best regards.

Interesting!
So one chap says the connector is different and one says its plugged into his 2019 just fine!

I know the 2019 non ANT and 2020 ANT are interchangeable as I have personallty done that. The 2021 though is an unknown to me...

Having had multiple garbage 2019 and 2020 units with the usual water issues I would love to try a 2021 version!

DariuszHoryd

Sep 21, 2020
Poland / Gdansk
To be honest, I didn't have any water issue on my 2019 controller... just trying to avoid direct water wash on car wash... we will see, with my Garmin I don't need any more displays on bike. Only "problem" which I noticed, was that Garmin App E-bike field, showing modes of engine like on controller I mean on controller we have 0=no led,1,2,3,5....on Garmin display, 0,1,2,4,5,6 ... It is no big deal, but maybe it is some software issue.

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
I have the 520+ and the ANT+ controller is identified properly as an E-Bike mate so I no longer use Ebike field.

79F9D90C-1F7D-4779-AB19-0036357654FF.jpeg

Sadly though, I have been through a great many controllers with water issues so am still interested to know if the 2021 unit will plug straight in and work as surely it MUST be better than the 4 or 5 models prior to it.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Interesting!
So one chap says the connector is different and one says its plugged into his 2019 just fine!

I know the 2019 non ANT and 2020 ANT are interchangeable as I have personallty done that. The 2021 though is an unknown to me...

Having had multiple garbage 2019 and 2020 units with the usual water issues I would love to try a 2021 version!
I can say with 100% certainty the RC1 on my Trance19, and RC-Ergo on my 2021 Trance X, are not compatible with each other in the least. Not even close. No way.

The 2021 trance x is using this new smart gateway thingy. I have seen it.

This indicates a complete change in architecture. The 2021 RC-ergo does not store any settings, its just an interface. The 2019 RC1 apparently stored settings, acted as the communication hub and an interface.

Last edited:

Dgedge

May 20, 2020
France
I can say with 100% certainty the RC1 on my Trance19, and RC-Ergo on my 2021 Trance X, are not compatible with each other in the least. Not even close. No way.

The 2021 trance x is using this new smart gateway thingy. I have seen it.

This indicates a complete change in architecture. The 2021 RC-ergo does not store any settings, its just an interface. The 2019 RC1 apparently stored settings, acted as the communication hub and an interface.
I agree with you, even if I have never found any information on what the new connector and smart-gateway look like. I am pretty sure that there is no ANT+ logo on the RC-Ergo. As you own one on your Trance-X could you please send a picture so we can see the ref number written on it ?

My 20' Trance E+3 RCone has ref 245-FLED28-04 and I think it is probably the first model with ANT+, I bought the bike in end of 2019. I have seen several versions of the remote -04, -07, -09, -10 and -15 but can't say where MY19 ends and where MY21 starts...

Also I am still using the App version 1.4.2 and its corresponding firmware as it is enough for me and it still keep the custom setup stored.
I read that many people complain about their custom settings not stored after a reboot, it would be interesting to know from these people which version of the app and firmware they are running, which RCone ref number they have and if it has worked before an update or never worked at all. This way we could understand maybe if there is a relation between App, RCone number and this issue.

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
I have seen several versions of the remote -04, -07, -09, -10 and -15 but can't say where MY19 ends and where MY21 starts...

I have owned both models.
The 2019 was an 03 and I had numerous.
The 2020 I have had 5 versions now.
It shipped with 04 and i have aldo had 06, 09 and two 10's

I read that many people complain about their custom settings not stored after a reboot, it would be interesting to know from these people which version of the app and firmware they are running.

Mine wont save in any of the three app updates.
Version 10 ANT+ RCOne on latest firmware.
Worked fine on the old app.

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
I can say with 100% certainty the RC1 on my Trance19, and RC-Ergo on my 2021 Trance X, are not compatible with each other in the least. Not even close. No way. The 2021 trance x is using this new smart gateway thingy. I have seen it.

Hi,
Appreciate those really great pics. Is theer any more sealing on that new battery plate?

Sorry, I was referring to the FLED-28-15 Darius above was referring to...
Initially he advised it wouldnt work, but later added a new post and said it did as he has it fitted to his own bike.

Regardless, it certainly looks like the last update to the RCOne is FLED28-15 so if it will work on an MY20 I am very intrigued to know the difference between that and a 28-10 as GIANT are still shipping 28-10s as warranty replacements for MY2020 bikes.

Last edited:

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Thank you for those very detailed pictures. Now we can see that the ref for RideControl Ergo is 245-FLRMSP-01 and for the Smart-Gateway 245-PGSGYM-01.

Why did you tear down your motor and harness like that ? Are you having any issue with it ?
My original TranXe had trouble straight away. It went back to the shop. They worked on it a few weeks without success and then swapped it.

Turns out it was a defective harness.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I agree with you, even if I have never found any information on what the new connector and smart-gateway look like. I am pretty sure that there is no ANT+ logo on the RC-Ergo. As you own one on your Trance-X could you please send a picture so we can see the ref number written on it ?

My 20' Trance E+3 RCone has ref 245-FLED28-04 and I think it is probably the first model with ANT+, I bought the bike in end of 2019. I have seen several versions of the remote -04, -07, -09, -10 and -15 but can't say where MY19 ends and where MY21 starts...

Also I am still using the App version 1.4.2 and its corresponding firmware as it is enough for me and it still keep the custom setup stored.
I read that many people complain about their custom settings not stored after a reboot, it would be interesting to know from these people which version of the app and firmware they are running, which RCone ref number they have and if it has worked before an update or never worked at all. This way we could understand maybe if there is a relation between App, RCone number and this issue.
My guess is only the units with the smart gate way thingy are having trouble with settings not being stored.

Edit. I see from @Evolution Stu post above, I am wrong. Ignore this post.

Last edited:

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
My trance19 has all the original stuff. I'm running the latest app and I believe all my settings are being saved OK?. I will check today and confirm one way or the other with part numbers of the RC1.

Edit.

My trance19 RC1 is an oldie 245-FLED28-03. But it saves the motor settings just Fine with android app v 1.2.2.0

20201216_074705.jpg

Last edited:

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Where are you all buying your spares? I'd like to purchase a smart gateway thingy, a ride ergo, and a harness, but my local shop says these are warranty only items.

No, I've not yet scoured the web, as I value your experience more than Google's evil algorithms ?

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
For reference. The most recent update fixed the motor tuning problem. It saves just fine now.

ref spares.
active sport are very fast and reliable and I have found Giantspares.co.Uk to also be good.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles