Retired Old Codgers ride in the Derbyshire Dales

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Whilst the weather is so pleasant and before we have another lockdown, does anyone fancy a midweek ride (next week) starting in Matlock and heading north through Monsal Dale and over Eyam Rake? About thirty miles and best described as XC, but you'll know you've done it.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Well, as there have been several posts in the last couple of months, from what appeared to be more mature riders based in Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire, I thought this thread might have generated some interest but apparently not. There seems to be a lot of interest in Sherwood Pines but the routes around the Derbyshire Dales and the White Peak are way more interesting and demanding than a man made track in an essentially flat-land wood, but I guess I must be the only "retired old codger" who thinks so.

Oh! and it's not £8 to park with the alternative being risking getting your wheels nicked but hey-ho, I'm not bitter. :cry:

RsGaz

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
N. Lincolnshire
Wow! a bit of interest. :)

If we get a couple more we could start trying to sort a date when you are free.
Not retired, but I’d be interested in this, if it was posted with a bit of notice, then I could leave a day free if I wasn’t already booked up, joys of being self employed ?

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Maybe people can't accommodate the midweek aspect - I couldn't without taking a day off...

Hence the thread title "Retired Old Codger's ride".

Weekends are very busy around here at the moment so it really makes sense to go mid-week, but I do realise this limits those who can attend.

Plus, there have been one or two more mature riders in this area looking to sharpen their skills according to their forum posts and I had them in mind.

Plus, plus, you young bucks would soon get bored, riding the nuts off us old codgers.

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
At 56 I will take being called a 'young buck' but reality has a different take on things... ?

Hugo Last

Oct 19, 2019
Effingham
Perhaps you would have got more interest if you had titled it "Adventurous Senior Ride".
I am guessing that even though your target participants are old and retired they would consider themselves 'Trail Warriors' and young at heart rather than 'Old Codgers'.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Perhaps you would have got more interest if you had titled it "Adventurous Senior Ride".
I am guessing that even though your target participants are old and retired they would consider themselves 'Trail Warriors' and young at heart rather than 'Old Codgers'.

I thought I knew my market, but clearly not and ended up under selling what is a seriously tough ride in fear of scaring people off. Or am I now over selling it.

Oh! bugger it. Plans cancelled. Sorry Go-Apes.

Dustjunky

Nov 11, 2020
Derby
Well, as there have been several posts in the last couple of months, from what appeared to be more mature riders based in Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire, I thought this thread might have generated some interest but apparently not. There seems to be a lot of interest in Sherwood Pines but the routes around the Derbyshire Dales and the White Peak are way more interesting and demanding than a man made track in an essentially flat-land wood, but I guess I must be the only "retired old codger" who thinks so.

Oh! and it's not £8 to park with the alternative being risking getting your wheels nicked but hey-ho, I'm not bitter. :cry:
Couldn’t agree more mate ....?

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland

Not much ...
So you post a ride up on a Saturday for the following week then wonder why people haven't shown any interest ?
Get real fella ..it doesn't happen that quickly ..give folks a little time to plan things / arrange time off work ..throw in a date a few weeks down the line and you might just get some sort of positive response ..although throwing your dummy out of the pram when things haven't gone your way doesn't really do you any favours and as good as your ride might be its not really a good idea to rubbish someone else's..

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Not much ...
So you post a ride up on a Saturday for the following week then wonder why people haven't shown any interest ?
Get real fella ..it doesn't happen that quickly ..give folks a little time to plan things / arrange time off work ..throw in a date a few weeks down the line and you might just get some sort of positive response ..although throwing your dummy out of the pram when things haven't gone your way doesn't really do you any favours and as good as your ride might be its not really a good idea to rubbish someone else's..

"arrange time off work" FFS, read the title of the thread 'fella' and stop replying to posts just to be your usual PITA.

I was simply offering the option whilst the weather is so good. If there is no interest then it's no skin off my nose.

Dustjunky

Nov 11, 2020
Derby
"arrange time off work" FFS, read the title of the thread 'fella' and stop replying to posts just to be your usual PITA.

I was simply offering the option whilst the weather is so good. If there is no interest then it's no skin off my nose.
I agree with you mate ...There’s some right tossers on here ,take no notice ...I’d be up for a mid week ride in the peak rather than a flat boring ride at Sherwood Pines

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles