Black Rocks, Cromford, Derbyshire. Friday 3rd September, 17:00hrs

millemille

Feb 21, 2020
Peak District
For those who don't know Black Rocks, it's near Matlock in Derbyshire and is like an unofficial bike park.

A couple of hundred acres of hill side with a drop of about 600 feet between the trig point on the hill top and the river Derwent in the valley bottom. Open moorland with natural, rocky, singletrack downhill at the top. Then into rocky tracks in the woods about half way down and then into tight loamy single track descents at the bottom. Some tracks are natural, some are man made. There's loads of different trails, you can spend a whole day there and not get bored. Difficulty wise, reds to double blacks. There's an old railway line incline that you can use to get most of the way back up again.

On an ebike it's awesome, spin back to the top in 5 minutes and rattle back down again.

I'm there a couple of times a week as it's on my commute, but most of my normal local riding buddies don't like it because it's too steep/rocky/technical/gnarly for them, so if anyone fancies trying it out for themselves I'll be there at 17:00hrs this Friday to show anyone who's interested around.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
For those who don't know Black Rocks, it's near Matlock in Derbyshire and is like an unofficial bike park.

A couple of hundred acres of hill side with a drop of about 600 feet between the trig point on the hill top and the river Derwent in the valley bottom. Open moorland with natural, rocky, singletrack downhill at the top. Then into rocky tracks in the woods about half way down and then into tight loamy single track descents at the bottom. Some tracks are natural, some are man made. There's loads of different trails, you can spend a whole day there and not get bored. Difficulty wise, reds to double blacks. There's an old railway line incline that you can use to get most of the way back up again.

On an ebike it's awesome, spin back to the top in 5 minutes and rattle back down again.

I'm there a couple of times a week as it's on my commute, but most of my normal local riding buddies don't like it because it's too steep/rocky/technical/gnarly for them, so if anyone fancies trying it out for themselves I'll be there at 17:00hrs this Friday to show anyone who's interested around.

Not somewhere that I'd heard of ..but then I'm a couple of hundred miles up the road ..
Enjoyed your footage and you were right about how gnarly some of it is ..well above my pay grade ..?
Hope you get some takers for Friday ..?

DaveDog

Apr 16, 2021
Derbyshire
I am all for being shown around, starting with some of the easier routes:). I have been to Black rocks many times (walking dogs, not MTB though)
Unfortunately I cant make tomorrow as I am away for the weekend and recovering from a fractured collarbone:(
I will message you to arrange some other day and time.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles