Replacing ball bearings Scott e-spark 2018

Chriss111

Jan 16, 2020
Sweden
Hi
Has anyone here replaced the ball bearings for the chain stay on a Scott e-Spark 2018 or similar?

As I see it, removal of the engine is needed to be able to remove the ball bearings since they are in the frame and not in the swing and to reach them you have to go down under the frame.

DSC_2150.JPG

towzer

Aug 31, 2018
Oxfordshire
(*mine was 2017 but I suspect they’re the same) No, once swing arm off you can tap them out from opposite side (there is a central spacer between the bearings but once bolt is out it can be moved around) so you can get a flat punch on the inside of the bearing and tap round evenly and out from the opposite side of bike (*I think that the chain guard has to be removed as well )

make sure you check the igus bushes on the swing arm joins regularly they wear faster than the bearings

towzer

Aug 31, 2018
Oxfordshire
Get a threaded rod or a long bolt , and wind in the new bearings (*do not put force on the inner race or seal) get a flat surface or a socket that fits the outer race exactly (can use old bearing with a washer on it etc)

so

Bolt head/[socket/washers/old bearing]/ new bearing <bolt thru both holes>. Wood/plastic block on other side of frame then washers and nut to tighten. use the wood/plastic/etc so can apply load without marking/ damaging frame as you using it to pull the bearing in

or buy something like this (I have as I got pissed off fighting with not quite the right size ........... bolt/washer etc etc), there are lots of bearing press products and you can get bearing size specific press parts for your bearings ,
I just linked below as I found it first, there are lots and lots, I got a set that did 7 bearing sizes for about 27£

these are highly recommended RapidRacerProducts | BPET

Last edited:

Chriss111

Jan 16, 2020
Sweden
I'm So Happy, I'm So Happy!?

After work today I went in to a local toolshop and purchased a Flat Punch kit and gently punched the bearings out and it worked ;-)

Once again thanks for your reply :)

Yeah, I have looked at Rapidrace bearing press and I think that adapter kit9 is the correct one.
Bore = 15mm
OD = 24mm

Chriss111

Jan 16, 2020
Sweden
Finally! The work is done and my Iron Lady now have fresh bushings and ball bearings ;-)

For those of you considering doing the repair/service your self - Do it!
As mention by @towzer a flat punch is needed to remove the ball bearings from the frame and the I used Rapid Race Ball Bearing Press to install the new ones. What an excellent tool!

repairkit.JPG

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles