Replace/upgrade brakes on Cannondale moterra 3

Toottube

Apr 27, 2023
Uk
Hi folks new to the form and completely mechanically phobic. Do I need to remove the motor to completely replace all parts of rear brake?

Many thanks

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Depends. Hydraulic? What type of braking system are you planning on upgrading to? When I upgraded my braking system I also replaced the hydraulic lines. (Magura MT7). The lines were routed through the motor compartment so I needed to drop the motor to insure that the lines were routed properly and the lines were somewhat pre-assembled.
Type of bike and type of braking system matters.
Edit; I’m also not familiar with this model.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Hi welcome
I'm not familiar with your specific bike but a lot of bikes you can pull the pipes over the motor but it depends very much on there routing .
You can join hoses with the item in the link to pull them through places .

Toottube

Apr 27, 2023
Uk
Depends. Cable, hydraulic? What type of braking system are you planning on upgrading to? When I upgraded my braking system I also replaced the hydraulic lines. (Magura MT7). The lines were routed through the motor compartment so I needed to drop the motor to insure that the lines were routed properly and the lines were somewhat pre-assembled.
Type of bike and type of braking system matters.
Upgrading from sram guide re to shimano slx on a Cannondale moterra .

Toottube

Apr 27, 2023
Uk
Hi welcome
I'm not familiar with your specific bike but a lot of bikes you can pull the pipes over the motor but it depends very much on there routing .
You can join hoses with the item in the link to pull them through places .

Thanks I’ve watched a couple of videos showing that 👍

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Ah, good. If the old Sram brakes use a DOT fluid be careful not to cross contaminate with the mineral oil fluid. Tbh, I don’t use any braking system that uses DOT fluid. Shimano uses a redish coloured mineral oil and Magura uses a blueish coloured mineral oil. Stay with the right oil for your braking system and don’t use baby-oil(mineral oils). Could void your warranty.

ctk371

Oct 10, 2022
Germany
Hi folks new to the form and completely mechanically phobic. Do I need to remove the motor to completely replace all parts of rear brake?

Many thanks
As mentioned. The Reverb Tool is the way to go. I changed the RE to the MT5 then to Zee and now Saint. No routing problems. Also on other bikes a really versatile tool!

But clean it after use. DOT and mineral oil don’t like each other :)

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
Or use electrical tape to join the end of the old hose to the new and pull through that way. Always worked for me.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles