Renewing GUIDE RE - worth changing hoses/cables too?

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
I’ve managed to get hold of a new complete set of Guide RE brakes at a good price to replace my current set of Guide REs. I’m wondering should I take a short cut and just swap over callipers and levers or internally route in the new cables as well. Levo 2019 comp Carbon 18 months old. I get on fine with the Guides. Thanks in advance.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
If the original REs are not damaged I don't see the point in replacing them with a new set of REs.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
I’ve managed to get hold of a new complete set of Guide RE brakes at a good price to replace my current set of Guide REs. I’m wondering should I take a short cut and just swap over callipers and levers or internally route in the new cables as well. Levo 2019 comp Carbon 18 months old. I get on fine with the Guides. Thanks in advance.
Why are you replacing the brakes with the same brakes?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Eh?
REF: maintenance/time
You do realise you're now going to have to spend time removing the perfectly good current set, fitting the new set and then bleeding them both?
is that really a more atractive proposition than just cleaning the current set, pushing the pistons back and fitting new pads?
coz that's going to be the only real difference.
Unless they have a problem you've negated to mention.

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
The rear pistons are sticking and normally a good clean gets them going but it needs new pistons and seal kit which I’ve only been able to find for £20 a set plus £20 shipping from Europe. If anyone’s seen them cheaper in uk in stock please let me know. A new brake set lever and calliper is £80.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles