Rear mudguard that works - IMHO

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
I hate mudguards on my bike but winter time is a must so I have a rear mudhugger XL and for a bit of extra protection half of a old defender front mudguard fitted in the gap.The lower silicon bit tucks down in frame and fixes as bike moves It’s a bit Heath Robinson but stops me getting covered in crud.
3EEFFF05-FC47-4EF5-94FE-C002A0040209.jpeg
1D2981B1-43B7-4164-BEA2-66E0CF73AC1E.jpeg

Patchinko

Aug 14, 2020
S.W hants
To all that have the Zefal rear guard and have had a positive experience, are you on 27.5 or 29? I fitted one on my 29er and it's useless, I got a soaked back and arse on my last ride.

Last edited:

Ashley M

Dec 29, 2020
Derbyshire
Hi
I’m on a 27.5
Ride out in the mud and wet a couple of days ago and not a spot of mud on my backpack
Relatively wide tyres too at 2.6

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
the alternative is just accept you will get plastered with mud whether it comes off the back wheel or everywhere else on the bike!! I use Altura trousers and Nukeproof jacket plus a backpack. At the end of a ride I get my mate or my wife to hose me down!! It gets most of the mud off.
Every couple of weeks I wash the jacket and trousers in Nikwax wash and a bout once a month in Nikwax TX wash in. Totally waterproof.

I use mudguards but only to protect the bike...not me. I use a Mudhugger front mudguard on the back ( slightly cut down) plus an extender, plus a cheap Enduro front mudguard copy fitted separately below that. These are enough to protect the chain, shock, linkages and the rear of the motor and the lower part of the dropper and are cheap to replace if they get damaged.

Patchinko

Aug 14, 2020
S.W hants
I use it with my 29"
Works perfect - Catch 98% of the mud and water.
I use this model from Zefal: Deflector RS75

View attachment 52356
It seems to sit further back on your Levo than on my Cube, I tried several adjustments but could not get it to sit in a position that stopped the water flicking up off of the back of the tyre and on to my back.
I'm thinking I should have got the mud hugger XL. I have a cubeguard 29 that protects the rider but as it's seat post mounted it has to sit high to avoid buzzing the tyre when the suspension compresses and does not protect the bike at all well.

Patchinko

Aug 14, 2020
S.W hants
After lots of adjustments, fine tuning and general faffing and getting soaked, I've resorted to the bit of plastic flower pot fender extender, which has sorted it out.

As the actress said to the bishop, a couple of extra inches makes all the difference?.

I think I would have been better off with a mudhugger XL like Hobo Mikey.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles