Rapid Brake Pad Wear

Wheelie_King

The Spirit Level ?️
Sep 28, 2019
Lancashire (Fylde Coast)
Hi All
Just a query. I know to expect faster brake pad wear on an eMTB due to the extra speed and weight involved but have gone through 2 sets of rears, and a set of fronts in 270 miles. Admittedly these have been atrocious UK wet and gritty miles. Is that inline with other people’s experience?
Also weird to be getting through the rear pads faster. I’ve never knowingly been a rear brake dragger.
Rear pads have both worn out on a diagonal cross section - both pads wearing at the same rate, but the edge of the pads closest to the hub wears faster than outside edge.
Thoughts and comments welcome!

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
I thought mine was bad at 720 miles wearing out my front and rear. Rear are worse and that is also strange as I didn’t think i used them so much

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
yea ive been through 5 sets of pads in about 300 miles.. I have lots of high speed stops on my regular ride and they always seem to be after a horrible gritty section :D :D
I buy the uberbike sintered 4 packs at a time

Davidh218

Jun 14, 2019
Scotland
try sticking to genuine pads from brands that match the brake and if there bedded in correctly they should last around the same i got 900 miles out my rears and my front pads are still like new after 1300 miles

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
Sintered is a must for ebike rears I’ve found. I go through the organic pads like they’re made of PlayDoh. The conditions have been pretty atrocious for a good few months mind.

Wheelie_King

The Spirit Level ?️
Sep 28, 2019
Lancashire (Fylde Coast)
try sticking to genuine pads from brands that match the brake and if there bedded in correctly they should last around the same i got 900 miles out my rears and my front pads are still like new after 1300 miles
The first set that didn't last 5 minutes were the SRAM ones that came on the bike - not sure if they were sintered or organic. Replaced with Nukeproof sintered, and they're worse!!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I've got Shimano BR-M520 brakes (200mm) with are DO1S Resin SD4QD pads and ride in mostly sandy conditions. I've got 1135m out the front and 832m out of the rear before the caliper failed, but the pads were still OK at that time.

Simoto123

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Aug 6, 2019
North west
Stock rsc stoppers here with hope disks. A set and a half of sintered pads have done well over 3k miles!!! Either I’m not trying hard enough or some of you need to stop dragging brakes. I do a lot of fitness miles with little braking involved which may be skewing things a bit, but still.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Might help to discuss what style of riding you do. Clearly there a few tourers/commuters here getting 1000+ km let alone miles out of a single set of pads, regardless of brand.
Personally I change various types of pads every 3months but I love the gravity!
I would average 350km to 500km in that time.
I also found the factory fitted Sram pads to last only 5 to 8 rides. Both my brother and I share similar results

Simoto123

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Aug 6, 2019
North west
Might help to discuss what style of riding you do. Clearly there a few tourers/commuters here getting 1000+ km let alone miles out of a single set of pads, regardless of brand.
Personally I change various types of pads every 3months but I love the

Yep to be fair I do a lot of flat fitness riding and it’s actually 2.5 sets, sorry about that. Still, I’m clearly not going fast enough!
I guess the trails i can easily access are short on steeps, and I know them very well.
Pads are standard as far as I know. Never was hard on brakes, Quite happy to use my front brake frequently even on trail descent. Front brake needs careful use but is way more efficient at scrubbing speed. I don’t trail my brakes and set my speed in advance of features, dunno.
The hope floaters haven’t been on long enough to make any difference. Just shit maybe, ha ha.
cheers

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Depends on a lot of factors, soil type is a big one, rider weight and rising style. At FoD I barely wear out pads, in sandy conditions they go a lot faster.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
SRAM Guide brakes and pads. I changed mine at 500miles. Neither set were down to the metal but they were pretty scored. All my miles are forest trails in mud and sand.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles