Rail to Rise ?

DeeP

Mar 24, 2022
USA
I have had both. I sold my Rail 9.8xt. Hard to say if a good option for anyone else other than myself. The Rise is a unique bike in that you can have a 140/140 trail bullet, a 150/140, 160/150, or 170/160 set up and all different levels of those builds. You can also find hardware and apps which allow you to run the EP8 at full power if desired. The suspension layout is drastically different than the Rail. Rail is much better for "uphill flow". They are not quite apples to oranges. More like apples to Asian Pears. Good luck with the decision. Both are great bikes.

Tony4wd

Subscriber
Aug 3, 2022
Australia
The Rise is overall a nicer bike to ride. The only place you're likely to miss the Rail is on long, steep uphill trails because of the stronger motor.

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
Thanks both, yea, ordered a Rise, the current deals are too good to miss out on.

hilbil-E-bikr

Sep 7, 2021
Alabama USA
That’s exactly the route I went. I like the Rise so much better. The Rise fits me way better than the Rail did and the lower weight and geo make it feel like a normal mountain bike, just with extra power.

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
That’s exactly the route I went. I like the Rise so much better. The Rise fits me way better than the Rail did and the lower weight and geo make it feel like a normal mountain bike, just with extra power.
Thanks !, just waiting for the bike to arrive now. Have you changed anything on the Rise ?, I am going to move the nice bits from the rail over, AXS transmission, dropper, carbon wheels

hilbil-E-bikr

Sep 7, 2021
Alabama USA
Thanks !, just waiting for the bike to arrive now. Have you changed anything on the Rise ?, I am going to move the nice bits from the rail over, AXS transmission, dropper, carbon wheels
I haven’t changed much. I dropped down to a 35 mm stem and put on the alloy Renthal 35 mm rise bars from my Rail. I was going to upgrade to carbon bars but I’m happy with the ride and weight of the Renthals. I did have to get a shorter dropper. The 170 that came with the XL was too long. I went with a 150 PNW Loam. I also replaced the stock tubes with Tubolitos to take off some rotating weight.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
I have had both. I sold my Rail 9.8xt. Hard to say if a good option for anyone else other than myself. The Rise is a unique bike in that you can have a 140/140 trail bullet, a 150/140, 160/150, or 170/160 set up and all different levels of those builds. You can also find hardware and apps which allow you to run the EP8 at full power if desired. The suspension layout is drastically different than the Rail. Rail is much better for "uphill flow". They are not quite apples to oranges. More like apples to Asian Pears. Good luck with the decision. Both are great bikes.
High Rock Ruti

Please expand on hacking the motor, I'd love that bike full power

Warm Regards Ruti

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
It's worth noting that the rise is not an Enduro bike. It is a light weight trail bike.

If you try to build it into a 160/170mm bike and then hit proper enduro tracks at speed don't be surprised when stuff starts flex and break.

Ameiza

Oct 8, 2019
Norway
Unfortunately, the Rise doesn’t have UDH, so it is not compatible with SRAM Transmission.
Unfortunately, the Rise doesn’t have UDH, so it is not compatible with SRAM Transmission.

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
The new T type SRAM transmission wont work due to UDH, but the normal AXS (pre T type) will fit, it's just like a normal rear mech mounting.

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
High Rock Ruti

Please expand on hacking the motor, I'd love that bike full power

Warm Regards Ruti
STunlocker works on the 2022 model. I unlocked mine but TBH I never use it at full power as it kills the battery without feeling much different.

Allegedly some dealers will unlock it as well, which would avoid warrenty issues.

hind-corners

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2022
Europe
STunlocker works on the 2022 model. I unlocked mine but TBH I never use it at full power as it kills the battery without feeling much different.

Allegedly some dealers will unlock it as well, which would avoid warrenty issues.
Without feeling different, did you also unlock the output power (at the top of torque)? It's completely different motor after that. Best thing is you can setup to standard ep8rs output for eco and trail and then get the fullfat power only on boost. So barely use more battery on standard riding but then when you need the power is there. This transformed my riding with friend who had normal fullfat bikes.

hind-corners

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2022
Europe
Yes . . but the guys I ride with don't go charging along at max power.
Thats a good point if you have 360wh battery. And maybe to OP here I would consider either 540wh or 360wh with extender. I have Rise H with 540wh battery and I have no issues with FF bikes with 630wh batteries.

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
i did consider battery capacity, but the reason to go for the Rise was about it being lighter so the 360 was important for me, also i tend to prefer a harder workout than riding all day on even Tour on the Rail. So 360 with possible range extender if i embark on longer rides.

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
In case anyone is interested, I have completed the build of my M20 (I chose m20 as I wanted the 140 fork as starting point and was going upgrade all the driveline anyway).

The bike (size medium) now weighs 17kg, I have tweaked the power and torque slightly with emax for the couple of extreme technical climbs I ride and make it a. It more fun. Rest of the time I am in eco/trail - In summary it rides so much better than the rail, climbs better feels less stiff and overall pretty much like a analogue bike. I can complete a 3 hour ride and come back with around 40% battery remaining. I am sure the rail would be better on very demanding downhill or jumping, but that's not the sort of riding I do. Super impressed with the rise.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles