Rail sizing

JiiPee82

Jan 11, 2022
Finland
How have you felt sizes in Rail? Would like to have one Ebike to me and my wife.

I’m 174cm and used to have big bikes. I have Specialized stumpjumper and enduro in size S4 (Large) and felt them very stable. I would use Rail for enduro riding.

My wife is 169cm and she would do some trail riding and maybe little bit of enduro too.

What do you think, would L-size be too big with shorter (35mm) stem? There is one Rail 7 at very good price.

RustyMojo

Oct 30, 2021
Gloucestershire
I’m 5’9 which is I believe 175cm, I ride a large rail and it fits perfectly. You would be fine at 169cm but leg length dependant as the seat tube length starts to become a problem. I run a 150mm dropper slammed to the collar. I have short legs at 30” mind

BBear

May 18, 2019
Bristol
I’m 173cm and have a medium rail which I find perfect. The shop only had a large demo bike and I felt the reach was still ok but height was a problem.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I’m 5’9 which is I believe 175cm, I ride a large rail and it fits perfectly. You would be fine at 169cm but leg length dependant as the seat tube length starts to become a problem. I run a 150mm dropper slammed to the collar. I have short legs at 30” mind
I’m 5’9” also and ride a medium Rail. The dropper is also 150mm(stock)but is not in the slammed position. It’s actually raised 50mm(could go to 53mm) to fit my leg length (32+” inseam) with the saddle that I’ve used for years.
So I dropped into the LBS yesterday to see if an AXS 170mm reverb dropper would fit me and my Rail. With the help of their mechanics(3), dimensions of a 170mm AXS reverb and a floor model medium Rail 9.7, we crunched the numbers. It will work …with about 3mm wiggle room down the seat post frame.
If I ever need a hip operation these dimensions could change but then I could change out the crank length or buy a custom stainless hip-joint 🤔 .

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
You would both be better off with a medium.
As previously stated, its not so much the reach but the seat tube height.
I'm 5'9" and can ride both sizes, but with the large, you just can't get the seat down low enough on steep terrain.

RustyMojo

Oct 30, 2021
Gloucestershire
I don’t have any problem getting the seat low enough on the steep, that’s with a pathetic 30” inside leg & a 150mm dropper (bike came with a 130mm) I’d like a shorter seat tube, but have not had an issue whatsoever. Not that anyone should resort back to hanging off the back wheel because it’s steep anyway. In a central position on the bike in South Wales finest gnarly steep shit, I haven’t had a problem or found the saddle position has an adverse effect on bike positioning. I’d certainly recommend getting your wife to try a large vs medium though. The seat tube length maybe an issue as mentioned.

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
I’m 175 and ride a Medium. I’ve been on the L quite a bit too. I’m ok on both, but I prefer to size down on the Rail. Makes it a bit more playful. It still “rails” when I really point it straight down. Your wife will certainly be better off on a medium I think
I changed to a 170 dropper though

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
177 with a medium Rail and a Bonty 170mm dropper slammed in the seat tube. I felt a large would be too unwieldy.

N/A

Sep 28, 2020
Scotland
At the other end of the spectrum a colleague is 197cm and off the Trek charts. Could an XL be made to fit?

I'm 191cm on an XL and it feels compact so I would imagine its going to feel very small for him. To me this bike feels smaller than the numbers suggest. My Rail 7 come with 40mm of spacers under the stem so you can get the bar quite high. The 130mm dropper post is far too short for taller people. I would imagine he would need the seat so high that he would feel positioned quite a bit over the back wheel while pedalling. At 197cm he probably needs an XXL bike so maybe look at other manufacturers that do an XXL size?

folmonty

Mar 11, 2021
NorCal
I'm 180 cm and bought a L Rail 7, If I had it to do over it would be a Med. On the trail that L is a big bike. A good dropper on the M would be the way to go IMHO.

aimage

Jul 8, 2021
New Zealand
I'm 180cm or 5'11 with a L Rail 9. Fits great but had to collar the dropper post as this model has a longer stem. Rail 7 stem is shorter which was perfect for my height.

JiiPee82

Jan 11, 2022
Finland
Went with M sized Rail 5 625 (2021), because of very good offer. Changed fork to Yari and yet need to change bars, brakes and rims. Feels very playful and fun bike.

Minman

Nov 27, 2021
St. Louis
My wife and I are both 182cm. We rented an L and M Rail a few months back. We each road both and she ended up liking the L and I loved the M.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles