Rail (625Wh) Rail 5 RockShox 35 Gold RL Fender mounts?

Coatezy

Nov 8, 2022
South West, UK
Just ordered a Rail 5 which will
be my first EMTB and full suspension bike. I was hoping to fit a RRP Proguard front fender, ideally without cable ties. I am also going to grab a ride wrap PPF kit for the frame and forks. I see that there is a variant of RockShox 35 Gold RL that has fender mounts, does anyone know if the Rail 5 comes with this variant? Based on the photos I’ve seen I’m pretty sure it does not.

Last edited:

DNE87

Oct 4, 2022
UK
I'm pretty sure the budget forks don't have the threaded inserts in the rear arch of the lowers, would be a cable tie or RRP velcro strap jobby unfortunately.

Last edited:

Coatezy

Nov 8, 2022
South West, UK
Hello!
I own a 5 as well, my best solution was the common "zip tie on" fender for fork. That RRP looks good though
It sounds like that is the approach I’ll be taking too unless by some miracle the latest bikes use the fender mount variant. 😄 Think my safest bet is to wait for the bike to arrive before I order the fork PPF. I’m bound to order the wrong one if I don’t.

Coatezy

Nov 8, 2022
South West, UK
I'm pretty sure the budget forks don't have the threaded inserts in the rear arch of the lowers, would be a cable tie or RRP velcro strap jobby unfortunately.
Yeah that was my original assumption but there are versions for sale that specifically say they have fender mounts and are also visible in the photos, in fact it seems to be the EMTB version that have them. Trek is probably using the non-EMTB version.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Steerer tube mount.

Warning:
This front fender mounted on a Rail may cause excessive wear to the lower face of the steerer tube/headset because of the slightly larger diameter of the Rail headset.
834A7EFF-D5ED-4038-8087-526299D692CD.jpeg
28071DAC-BBEE-4F10-87F4-85C32FA0EFC0.jpeg

These were the first fenders I purchased and installed for my 9.7 Rail. When I removed the fender (for cleaning) I discovered paint-wear where the fender touches the steering tube. My fix was; remove the front fender permanently and cover the wear area with clear heli-tape.
I was not friggen happy…this was my first blemish.

They may have addressed this issue since, but now I don’t use a front fender at all. If this model of fender is installed on your Rail …check the clearance.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Warning:
This front fender mounted on a Rail may cause excessive wear to the lower face of the steerer tube/headset because of the slightly larger diameter of the Rail headset.
View attachment 101148
View attachment 101149
These were the first fenders I purchased and installed for my 9.7 Rail. When I removed the fender (for cleaning) I discovered paint-wear where the fender touches the steering tube. My fix was; remove the front fender permanently and cover the wear area with clear heli-tape.

They may have addressed this issue since, but now I don’t use a front fender at all. If this model of fender is installed on your Rail …check the clearance.
Gutted
Fair damage from riding i can handle its part of the sport we are in But when its damage like this it really bugs me i feel your pain :(

Coatezy

Nov 8, 2022
South West, UK
Warning:
View attachment 101148
View attachment 101149

That is frustrating, thanks for the warning. As I’m PPFing the whole bike I should be able to safely fit a guard with cable ties without any rubbing. 🤞

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles