Quick SRAM deraillure question

Planckus

Jan 21, 2021
Denmark
Hi all,
my bike was delivered with an SRAM SX 12-speed deraillure and trigger, and i am not too happy about it. If i want to upgrade it to GX, would i need to buy the trigger too? Anything else I need to consider? The rims are Cube EX30 with a Shimano FH-MT400 boost hub (will be changed later), so i think it is ready for the GX, but I am not 100% sure.

Last edited:

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
You can buy only GX derailleur. In fact you should be able to mix any Eagle drivetrain component (considering the SX-NX cassette uses Shimano freehub, GX-XX1 uses XD driver) ...

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
an upgrade to full GX from SX will mean a new freehub body for your hub.
it will also mean you'll have a 10t sprocket (which really isn't a great idea on an Ebike)
it will also mean running costs from that point on for cassettes will increase a LOT.

What exactly is it you dislike about your SX drivetrain?

As Salko says. You can mix and match SRAM eagle 12 speed components

And if you were to "upgrade" the shifter is in actual fact the ONE component you'd actually notice a performance difference with.
Upgrading the derailleur will only buy you a tiny bit of stiffnesss a little bit of durability a slight weight reduction and slightly better construction/materials.
Other than weight differences the cassettes don't perform any different from each other, just the range changes slightly because of the inclusion of that 10t sprocket on XD.

Before making a hasty purchase do make sure your SX is actually set-up properly, your hanger is straight and your cables are in good (smooth) condition and routed/seated properly.
You may well find taking it to a good bike shop for a tune up and new cables makes the world of difference.

Planckus

Jan 21, 2021
Denmark
an upgrade to full GX from SX will mean a new freehub body for your hub.
it will also mean you'll have a 10t sprocket (which really isn't a great idea on an Ebike)
it will also mean running costs from that point on for cassettes will increase a LOT.

What exactly is it you dislike about your SX drivetrain?

As Salko says. You can mix and match SRAM eagle 12 speed components

And if you were to "upgrade" the shifter is in actual fact the ONE component you'd actually notice a performance difference with.
Upgrading the derailleur will only buy you a tiny bit of stiffnesss a little bit of durability a slight weight reduction and slightly better construction/materials.
Other than weight differences the cassettes don't perform any different from each other, just the range changes slightly because of the inclusion of that 10t sprocket on XD.

Before making a hasty purchase do make sure your SX is actually set-up properly, your hanger is straight and your cables are in good (smooth) condition and routed/seated properly.
You may well find taking it to a good bike shop for a tune up and new cables makes the world of difference.
Thank you for the answers. I am mainly interested in the deraillure, because no matter how much time i spend on getting it to run perfectly, it will only do it for about 50-100 kilometers, and then i need to start all over again. It feels like there is some “play” in it, so it never really get that crisp SRAM change. Actually i am really happy with the 11-50 casette, so really dont need anything else, if the NX is compatible with it. So what I hear you guys say is: Go ahead and replace deraillure and trigger, but keep the casette?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah.

GX Eagle derailleurs develop quite a bit of main pivot play reletively quickly too.

Has your GX der. had any knocks or damage? and if not, have you tried to warranty it?

Planckus

Jan 21, 2021
Denmark
Yeah.

GX Eagle derailleurs develop quite a bit of main pivot play reletively quickly too.

Has your GX der. had any knocks or damage? and if not, have you tried to warranty it?
I have SX today, and it have been “abused” well, but have never really been “crisp” as my older SRAM’s on other bikes, so wanted to upgrade. Maybe the XX01 makes more sense?

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I would use the sx until its worn then update with shimano 11 speed or whatever shimano system you like , Xt is cheaper than gx less hassle , easier to set up plus you can multi shift .

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Maybe the XX01 makes more sense?
Not really. Funnily enough. Abused XX01 isn't "crisp" either.
Look after your stuff.

From what you're saying here it doesn't sound like your SX was particulalry well set up in the first place.

Planckus

Jan 21, 2021
Denmark
I would use the sx until its worn then update with shimano 11 speed or whatever shimano system you like , Xt is cheaper than gx less hassle , easier to set up plus you can multi shift .
I am not too BIG a fan of the Shimano drivetrains, so will stay on SRAM :)

Planckus

Jan 21, 2021
Denmark
Not really. Funnily enough. Abused XX01 isn't "crisp" either.
Look after your stuff.

From what you're saying here it doesn't sound like your SX was particulalry well set up in the first place.
I do look after it, clean, lube and adjust as needed, but on the trails I do beat it up:)
I am quite sure it wasn’t setup correctly when i recieved it, and even had to bend it back into position after the shipping handling.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I am quite sure it wasn’t setup correctly when i recieved it, and even had to bend it back into position after the shipping handling.
Erm... Not to be Captain Obvious here. But no wonder it's NEVER been crisp.

I'm not sure I even want to ask how you bent it back

Planckus

Jan 21, 2021
Denmark
Erm... Not to be Captain Obvious here. But no wonder it's NEVER been crisp.

I'm not sure I even want to ask how you bent it back
Couldn’t really send it back, or I could, but there is quite some wait for EMTB’s at the moment, so when i finally got one, there were 0% chance it was leaving me again ;-)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You don't need to send a SRAM mech anywhere for warranty. Your LBS will do it for you.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
But if it was damaged in transit from the supplier. a few pics and Emails should have rewarded you with a replacement or compensation

Planckus

Jan 21, 2021
Denmark
If your deraileur was bent strong possibility your hanger is bent too .
SRAM are sensitive to B gap settings . Check with the gap tool .
Aleready did adjust with the gap tool, after advise from the LBS. I already decided to upgrade, so the question is really: How much do i need to change, and I am perfectly happy with the 11-50 casette, so it should be straight forward .. I now know what to order, so thank you all for taking the time to help me out:)

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
GX is slightly better quality than NX costs about 20 US $ more .
This guy does all sorts of comparison videos . SRAM vs Shimano and the different sets from each manufacturer .

Planckus

Jan 21, 2021
Denmark
This is weird, but it is actually working now! So the stort short. I cleaned the chain as always, and normally i would use my TF2 Teflon spray, but just got some Finish Line Teflon I tried on the chain. So i couldn’t believe what happened next: Crisp shifting! I went for a small ride, cleaned chain, and used the TF2 spray again..... no more crisp shifting! Cleaned again and used the Finish Line Teflon stuff, and crisp shifting again. Have anybody experienced something like this before? Could it really be the lube?

LBS sold me this as lube (TF2):Weldtite TF2 spray med teflon 150ml - 45,00

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Your first link is not the same product as the second.
I can't really be arsed to argue with you. Suffice to say the first product is not a dedicated chain lube and is more akin to a product like GT85 great for displacing water or putting a nice sheen on a clean bike but not great as an mtb chain lubricant.
TF2 is a brand name and produces many many oils and synthetic sprays with varying properties

Planckus

Jan 21, 2021
Denmark
Your first link is not the same product as the second.
I can't really be arsed to argue with you. Suffice to say the first product is not a dedicated chain lube and is more akin to GT85 great for displacing water or putting a nice sheen on a clean bike but not great as an mtb chain lubricant.
Well I am not gonna argue this any further, apart from stating that it is the same product inside, but different packaging (also described in the test). Long story short: New lube appears to have solved the problem. Now I need a new problem so I can buy gear after this formula: N+1

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles