Questions : Specialized Turbo Levo FSR (2017)

Oliver_Steele

Aug 13, 2023
South Africa
Hi Guys!

I've just bought my first E-bike (Specialized Turbo Levo FSR - 2017) and absolutely loving it on the trails! I also derestricted it using the BLEvo app, by changing the tuning and removing the speed limit restriction.

My question is, is there anything I should be careful of? Are there any mechanical or electrical problems that could be caused by these tweaks?

And is there anything else that I should watch out for to make sure this bike lasts me a while?

Thanks!!
WhatsApp Image 2023-08-13 at 16.18.58.jpg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
You'll learn to ease off when you make your gear changes (more so than a normal bike or with different timing due to the motor "over run" - keeps assisting for a fraction of a second to get you over things) otherwise you'll eat through the rear cassette and chains - especially in Turbo !

Don't jet wash it and be careful with excess water around the motor area (water WILL get in past the bearings eventually and it will sound graunchy when you pedal it backwards - at which point, get it re-built before total failure).

There was a recall on some of the batteries for water ingress around the buttons. If you look in the Spesh area, there's a sticky with various thread links and I think you can find the thread from there which pointed to the recall.

Try to avoid pedal strikes ! You'll find yourself pedalling in places you possibly wouldn't normally. It can cause a lot of shock through the motor and cause belt and bearing damage.

If possible, avoid leaving it fully charged for long periods without use (weeks).

Don't charge it if the battery's warm - like straight after a hard/fast ride.

Now go and ride the crap out of it ! Enjoy !

Oliver_Steele

Aug 13, 2023
South Africa
You'll learn to ease off when you make your gear changes (more so than a normal bike or with different timing due to the motor "over run" - keeps assisting for a fraction of a second to get you over things) otherwise you'll eat through the rear cassette and chains - especially in Turbo !

Don't jet wash it and be careful with excess water around the motor area (water WILL get in past the bearings eventually and it will sound graunchy when you pedal it backwards - at which point, get it re-built before total failure).

There was a recall on some of the batteries for water ingress around the buttons. If you look in the Spesh area, there's a sticky with various thread links and I think you can find the thread from there which pointed to the recall.

Try to avoid pedal strikes ! You'll find yourself pedalling in places you possibly wouldn't normally. It can cause a lot of shock through the motor and cause belt and bearing damage.

If possible, avoid leaving it fully charged for long periods without use (weeks).

Don't charge it if the battery's warm - like straight after a hard/fast ride.

Now go and ride the crap out of it ! Enjoy !
Hi Zimmerframe, I really appreciate your answer. Very helpful!!

I have two questions:
-You mentioned that I should avoid excess water around the motor area, can I use a garden hose when washing it or should I be even more careful than that?
-When leaving the bike for more than a few weeks, what sort of charge % should I keep it at?

Thanks!!!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Hi Zimmerframe, I really appreciate your answer. Very helpful!!

I have two questions:
-You mentioned that I should avoid excess water around the motor area, can I use a garden hose when washing it or should I be even more careful than that?
-When leaving the bike for more than a few weeks, what sort of charge % should I keep it at?

Thanks!!!
Hi,

You should be fine with a hose, just not on full blast around the cranks !

I think the recommended storage charge is around 60%, but less than 80% is good. It's not uncommon to leave them at 100% because a lot of the time we think we'll ride the next day - but then things happen ! It won't just suddenly die on you, but the battery health will slowly drop off if it's left on full charge for extended periods.

Oliver_Steele

Aug 13, 2023
South Africa
Hi,

You should be fine with a hose, just not on full blast around the cranks !

I think the recommended storage charge is around 60%, but less than 80% is good. It's not uncommon to leave them at 100% because a lot of the time we think we'll ride the next day - but then things happen ! It won't just suddenly die on you, but the battery health will slowly drop off if it's left on full charge for extended periods.
Awesome, thanks! Really Appreciate it!🤝

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles