Predictions on motor combined with transmission gates belted emtb

ecotrials

Sep 9, 2019
Lafayette, CA, USA
Any rumors out there yet? Any notion of who is entering this segment?
This technology massively reduces rear wheel weight and might allow regen. This could extend range without requiring bigger batteries.
No more derailleur woes, fabulous suspension, hardly any maintenance...
I can hardly wait to see what they come up with. But this is definitely the bike of the future, IMHO.

• Hot
Reactions: Bac

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming

Looks to fit the bill...... ??

Looks like a company SRAM would buy. Which is what it's going to take, a major player with the OEM reach that will entice bike companies to design around their product. Maybe they'll use technology they're developing, maybe they'll buy it. I doubt the little guys will get anywhere on their own.

Looks like a company SRAM would buy. Which is what it's going to take, a major player with the OEM reach that will entice bike companies to design around their product. Maybe they'll use technology they're developing, maybe they'll buy it. I doubt the little guys will get anywhere on their own.
If their product proves to be successful then yes, that could be a likely outcome. Although Polini look like a possible example (model) where a smaller manufacturer can supply motors to smaller frame / bike builders. Could it be a viable option for some of the smaller UK bike manufacturers such as Orange, Starling, Swarf, Cotic, Pipedream etc. to get into the e bike market with a combined motor / gearbox?

I notice Intra Drive have incorporated their unit into a Cannondale frame. Will be interesting to see how they develop.

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales

surely, with hardened steel gears inside it's going to be noisy? That's why cogs/gears inside motors are generally nylon.

leix_toffee

Jan 15, 2021
Ireland
Maybe the manufacturers have a vested interest not to pursue this too aggressively as they make so much money on replacement parts. It may take an outsider to change the industry to move in a new direction. But I am hopeful this tech will come eventually.

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
surely, with hardened steel gears inside it's going to be noisy? That's why cogs/gears inside motors are generally nylon.

I've never heard of complaints about noisy gearboxes. Motors? Yes, but the drive gears turn at much higher rpms than gearbox gears.

Phoenix

Dec 29, 2021
Devon
The Intra-Drive looks like a very interesting concept and something to follow. Though something this disruptive would surely be resisted by the current vested interests and may take a new player to come in and break the mould as it would potentially destroy a large part of the drivechain components market. That said, any of the current motor (or bike) manufacturers who don't also make those components could be game for trying it. I wonder if it could ever be made light and efficient enough to work in non motorised bikes ... hmmm

Also IIRC, a few years back there was a prototype e-bike from a maker (I can't recall who - Haibike??) that used a driveshaft system instead of a chain, and looked very similar to the system being used here :

Don't think it ever made it to market in e-bike form though (yet)

Last edited:

Malagni84

Feb 17, 2021
Northampton,uk
Sorry if I'm wrong but didn't continental do this already and noone was ready for it so it never took off? I'm sure it was a 48v system with integrated gear changing which would switch to user pressure and cadence.... I was so excited for it to be on all production bikes and sadly it disappeared....

I'm sre it w8as 4a

Bac

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
Any rumors out there yet? Any notion of who is entering this segment?
This technology massively reduces rear wheel weight and might allow regen. This could extend range without requiring bigger batteries.
No more derailleur woes, fabulous suspension, hardly any maintenance...
I can hardly wait to see what they come up with. But this is definitely the bike of the future, IMHO.

Exactly what I want!

I've asked Zerode when they will bring this to market, they say they're working on something but no details or time frame.

If no high-end brand comes available soon like this, I will be getting my design to build my own with either the Effigear or Revonte system based on either the Iron-Horse Sunday or VPP suspension/frame layout (the 2 most remarkable/dialed suspension platforms in my 25 years of MTBs).

Last edited:

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Exactly what I want!

I've asked Zerode when they will bring this to market, they say they're working on something but no details or time frame.

If no high-end brand comes available soon like this, I will be getting my design to build my own with either the Effigear or Revonte system based on either the Iron-Horse Sunday or VPP suspension/frame layout (the 2 most remarkable/dialed suspension platforms in my 25 years of MTBs).
Did you get anywhere with this project?
My R & M Delight is great but does need an integrated motor/gearbox unit.
6254.jpg

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
I've waited so long, I've run out of money. Revonte seems to have missed the boat.
I have been hounding Revonte for several years without any definitive answer. Eventually I mentioned my age and that I might not be riding forever...would they advise me to wait or buy a Rollhof/Gates equipped bike now (Last Year) their answer was go for the Rollhof .
The small developers of these systems will need a BIG bike brand to adopt the system and for them to fight the entrenched derailleur manufacturers . It will happen but when????
Once you have ridden a gearbox/belt system and experienced the virtual complete absence of maintenance you will never return to the stone age derailleur. ( takes cove from barrage of comments from traditional derailleur riders
6254.jpg

Hey taxi !

Aug 27, 2022
Geneva
Getting closer, but no motor+transmission integration. They have standard derailleur with chain or Rohloff with Gates belt.
Nicolai EBOXX is very similar with Rohloff with Gates belt.
I'm looking for the center mount motor transmission integration.
Me too !!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles