Powertube battery stuck in frame, key not turning.

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
I've got a new issue on my Mondraker Level ?

My powertube battery is currently stuck in the frame. I can insert the key, but it won't turn to unlock the battery.
I noticed the lock now isn't quite central to the hole in the frame, and there is a little bit of play so I can insert the key and move the lock barrel 2-3mm towards or away from the battery, it's always had this bit of play but guess this is not normal?

Anyone have an idea of how I can get it out?
There is a pair of allen bolts externally for both battery mounts but I'm not sure this will help if the battery is already stuck.
Shop I bought the bike from are a few hours drive away so would like to avoid if possible. I do have a Bosch service centre nearby if needed (bike is in warranty).

Thanks

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Sometimes I have to wiggle the battery at the same time as turning the key to get mine out. Or push the battery in slightly to activate the latching mechanism as I'm turning the key.

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
Sometimes I have to wiggle the battery at the same time as turning the key to get mine out. Or push the battery in slightly to activate the latching mechanism as I'm turning the key.

Thanks, I'll take the battery cover off now and see if wiggling the battery and barrel helps at all.

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
Right the battery cover is off but the battery is fixed in place with no wiggle room.
The key has always felt a little bit rough when you push it in the barrel, I've given it a bit of a lube to see if that helps but no luck...
The key will turn 10-15 degrees or so but that's it (90 deg to unlock)

Pics showing the barrel offset from the frame hole and the play when you move the key.
Interested to hear if this play is normal or not.

Also, do the two bolts at either end of the battery on the outside of the frame allow you to slide the battery mounts in the downtube?

thumbnail_IMG_20201125_123821566.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_20201125_123841479.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_20201125_123853927.jpg

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
See if pushing down on the battery (as if you were re fitting) while gently turning the key helps.
A squirt of WD40/GT85 into the lock may help as well.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
How does the lock usually work? Does unlocking it turn a barrel or does it release a barrel outwards? The fact you can fully insert the key means the key is lifting the pins in the lock barrel OK so it is rotation of the barrel that is stuck. Applying lube inside the lock is not going to help therefore. Lube..or preferably wd40 needs to be applied to the external barrel. I suggest you squirt some wd 40 between the lock and the frame and also gently repeatedly tap that area to dislodge what is probably dust or grit causing it to stick.

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
@Mikerb thanks for the reply. I believe the barrel turns to rotate the latch that pops the battery out, here is a pic of a powertube battery mounting without barrel - Not sure this is the exact mounting on my frame but looks fairly similar.

s-l1600.jpg

I'll spray some WD40 to the external of the barrel and see if that helps.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Just a quick point .. NEVER ! EVER EVER squirt wd40 in locks, clocks or anything else with intricate small moving parts. Whilst WD40 is great for freeing up rusty crappy stuck stuff, it leaves behind a sticky residue. Small particles stick to this and build up turning it into a mix of sandpaper and grinding paste, eventually wearing away all the delicate bits.

A silicone or teflon (ptfe) lube would be more appropriate.

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
Update - It's out! ?

Didn't end up spraying anything, but pushing the battery into the frame and wiggling the barrel up and down a bit while turning the key it hit a spot where the key would turn easily and out it popped. Weird, I spent 10 mins trying the same yesterday...

Since the barrel isn't lined up with the hole in the frame, I'm wondering whether it's worth trying to adjust the mounts at either end of the battery in the frame to set them up right. I'm not sure if there is any adjustment or whether they are fixed in place though.
Off to go look for some diagrams/ youtube vids...

Gigha

Sep 30, 2020
East Lothian
Just out of interest was there a change in ambient temperature since you first tried to get the battery out.

My LBS mentioned to me last year that they had a couple of bikes with sticky batteries when the Power Tube batteries first came out. Their theory was that the battery was expanding slightly, so if there was a temp rise since the battery was installed, it was causing the battery to jam in the frame due to very tight clearance.

Never heard mention of it on any forum since, so not certain if that theory is correct.

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
@Gigha - I tried taking the battery out mid-ride to swap for my spare. It was 10-11degC ambient at the time.
I then tried again yesterday when it was 7-8degC and failed.
This morning it was a bit cooler 3-4degC and the battery popped out with some wiggling.

I've been swapping batteries fairly regularly before this without any issues.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Update - It's out! ?

Didn't end up spraying anything, but pushing the battery into the frame and wiggling the barrel up and down a bit while turning the key it hit a spot where the key would turn easily and out it popped. Weird, I spent 10 mins trying the same yesterday...

Since the barrel isn't lined up with the hole in the frame, I'm wondering whether it's worth trying to adjust the mounts at either end of the battery in the frame to set them up right. I'm not sure if there is any adjustment or whether they are fixed in place though.
Off to go look for some diagrams/ youtube vids...

There is some adjustment in the position of the locking mechanism (assuming its the same mechanism as in the photo higher up the thread) , but I think the purpose of the adjustment is to ensure the lock is positioned to ensure the battery is properly secured, not that the lock key hole lines up perfectly with the frame hole . You may find that if the key hole is lined up perfectly with the frame hole, that the battery is then not held securely enough.

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
@Mteam - Here's a pic of my actual mount, it looks the same as the image I posted above minues the barrel

Locked position
locked.jpg

Unlocked
unlocked.jpg

You can see there's a bit of dirt in there, I'll see if I can improve the seal on the battery cover, the lock does move freely though...

How are the mounts adjusted? There are two allen key bolts on the underside of the downtube, is it just a case of loosening these and you can slide the mounts in the tube and re-tighten?

I would have thought the barrel should line up with the hole on the frame (to save me losing paint everytime I use the key), and the mount at the other end of the battery should be adjusted to suit? I'm just not sure how you would do this if you can only adjust the mounts while the battery is out of the frame ?‍♂️

Big stu

Feb 9, 2021
Uk
the problem is the small white plastic bit next to the latch its not a barrel thats the issue as im having same problems myself

SwissMountainLeader

Mar 10, 2021
Switzerland
I’ve just had a similar problem, in fact the lock has been getting more and more reluctant for a few weeks. It had got to a “one of us won’t survive this” stage ?

I took the assembly apart which is quite simple. That made clear it was the lock barrel and not the catch/lever which I had thought it might be. I cleaned the lock, put it back together and it’s pretty smooth now opening every time, first time. I think a new lock isn’t expensive, 20-25 euros I think. I’m not much impressed with the quality of it, it’s made by Abus and not up to their usual standard I’d say.

Hcd

Aug 8, 2021
Australia
I’ve had a similar issue on a Trek Rail where I got the key stuck and the battery jammed in position. I also spent a while trying to push and pull various things, with eventually the battery coming out. There are various causes, but generally a bracket alignment issue. I found the screws holding my bottom battery bracket were loose, which allowed the bottom bracket to tilt and jam the battery. These screws (for both the top and bottom brackets) can be tightened from the outside of the frame, so worth a check if your battery gets stuck. Once you get the battery out, follow the battery alignment guidelines to get the brackets in the correct position again.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles