PowerTube 625 Battery Fit in My Powerfly 7 FS

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
The 625 watt powertube is 67mm longer than the 500 watt powertube...

Bosch eBike batteries

Yes, but I think in some other posts, it was mentioned the 500 watt battery has more spacers (to compensate for its shorter length).
In other words, the length of the 500 watt battery with spacers = length of the 625 watt battery.

So maybe the 625 watt battery will fit in the 2019 Powerfly???

Atlas79

Feb 23, 2021
Anchorage, AK
It will fit. Ive done a number of battery upgrades for folks. The only caveat is that in some instances you will need to refit the new battery once assembled. If this is the case, the option of having two batteries so you can pop-and-swap on the run might be unrealistic.

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
It will fit. Ive done a number of battery upgrades for folks. The only caveat is that in some instances you will need to refit the new battery once assembled. If this is the case, the option of having two batteries so you can pop-and-swap on the run might be unrealistic.
What do you have to do to the new 625 watt battery to "assemble" it?
And what do you mean "refit the new battery once assembled"?
Thanks!

Atlas79

Feb 23, 2021
Anchorage, AK
What do you have to do to the new 625 watt battery to "assemble" it?
And what do you mean "refit the new battery once assembled"?
Thanks!

Which Battery Do You Need
Bosch manufactures various types of batteries. The type of battery depends upon the mounting system used by the bicycle manufacturer. For your Powerfly, Trek uses a vertical mount in its RIB system. Therefore, ensure you purchase a 625Wh battery that has the VERTICAL designation versus the HORIZONTAL. The correct part number is 0.275.007.546.

Assembly
For assembly, you will require the lower and upper battery covers. These are, of course, already installed on your current battery. If you are not planning on using the 500Wh as a spare battery, you can take them off and transfer them to the 625Wh battery, along with the main battery cover. The main battery cover is simply the metal part of the battery you see when the battery is installed in the frame. See images below.

1. Lower battery cover
TrekBoschPowertubeBatteryLowerBracket_30165_A_Primary.jpeg

2. Upper battery cover

TrekBoschPowertubeBatteryHandle_30145_A_Hero.jpeg

3. Main battery cover
Below is a tech document. The battery cover (A), as stated above, can simply be transferred to the new battery, along with the other necessary pieces. However, ensure you purchase the correct color if necessary. If you need duplicates of these items, this document provides you with the necessary part numbers. I have highlighted what you will need for a second complete battery.

Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 12.25.16 PM.jpg

If you are planning on using the 500Wh as a spare battery, you will need to order the parts above (A-G). You can acquire the parts from any Trek dealer. The relevant information is in the image above.

As for assembly, it's pretty straight forward. If you are planning on using only the new battery, simply reassemble as you disassembled the 500 Wh battery, minus the spacer (H). However, if you are wanting two usable batteries, you will need to tap the threads for the new main battery cover during assembly (see images below).

IMG_2958.jpg
IMG_2957 2.jpg

Tapping finer threads such as these can be a delicate process and would likely turn most away. If you are not comfortable tapping threads, I recommend having your local bike shop perform the assembly. For actual assembly, refer to Trek tech document above.

Refitting Your New Battery

Now as for fitting the new battery to the frame, this is not something I can adequately explain in a post. I have discovered that upgrading from a 500Wh to a 625Wh battery (despite them being the same size due to the spacer included in the 500Wh battery), often does not yield the same battery-fit-to-frame. This is likely due to manufacturer tolerances across various parts within a given system not lining up. There is no workaround here short of performing a refit for the new battery. I should note that I've only done a handful of these upgrades. However, they all required a re-fit after the upgrade. The best I can do is to iterate the importance of a good fit, which DEPENDS ON ACHIEVING THE PROPER TENSION BETWEEN THE BATTERY AND THE UPPER AND LOWER BATTERY DOCS. See images below.

Upper Doc Lower Doc

IMG_2801.JPG
IMG_2800.JPG

These are designed to move in any direction, so a proper fit can be difficult to achieve. The point of adjusting the upper and lower battery docs is to provide adequate tension on the battery. If too loose, the battery can disconnect while riding over rough terrain, which will result in instant power loss. At worst, the battery can fall out of the frame, which can lead to all sorts of dangerous scenarios for the bike and the rider. That said, Trek's standards for a proper fitting battery are as follows:
  1. The key whole must be centered in the frame cut-out. As you can see in the left image below, the key whole is not centered; it is off left and up. Trek recommends an even 3mm between the edge of the frame and the the key whole (measure the black area to the frame) This can be hard to achieve and doesn't always pan out exactly, but close to center is ideal.
IMG_2964.JPG
Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 1.07.24 PM.png

2. Next, you will need to check that there is at least a 2mm gap between the bottom edge of the main battery cover and the frame. See image below.

Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 1.10.17 PM.png

3. Finally, you want to achieve a uniform fit along the downtube, from the top of the battery to the bottom where the battery seats into the frame. To check for this, there should be a 2-3 mm gap between the main battery cover and the frame at both the top and bottom of the downtube. See images below.

IMG_2962 2.jpg
IMG_0095.jpg

As you can see, the battery above is not uniform according to the standards. There is a noticeably larger gap at the top of battery (the lower part of the image) than at the bottom. The next image shows a properly fitted battery-to-frame with an even gap of 2mm at both the top and bottom of the battery as it mates to the downtube.

In addition to this, you will require a special tool which you can find easily enough. On the underneath side of the downtube, you will need a T25 security bit to properly engaged the fasteners. Without this tool, you will be unable to fit your battery properly. See images below.

IMG_0157.jpg
IMG_0158.JPG

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend taking this task on yourself unless you have prior experience working with e-bikes or something similar.

I hope this helps in your endeavors.

Please disregard this image. I have tried to no avail to remove it.

IMG_2962.JPG

Last edited:

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
Hey Atlas79!
Thank you so much for your very detailed answer! And for the battery part I would need to order!
I'm really glad the upgrade is doable (though finnicky).

Sophie

Atlas79

Feb 23, 2021
Anchorage, AK
Hey Atlas79!
Thank you so much for your very detailed answer! And for the battery part I would need to order!
I'm really glad the upgrade is doable (though finnicky).

Sophie

You’re more than welcome. You should, however, verify that your current battery (500Wh) has the spacer. If it does not, then I’m afraid the 2017 models won’t have the extra space to run the larger battery. I can’t remember and don’t have a 2017 model in front of me to check. You can check this yourself. Just pull the battery and, if the spacer is present, it will look something like the following image.

051FCACE-417A-42CA-88A8-23D5B47BE1FC.jpeg

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
You’re more than welcome. You should, however, verify that your current battery (500Wh) has the spacer. If it does not, then I’m afraid the 2017 models won’t have the extra space to run the larger battery. I can’t remember and don’t have a 2017 model in front of me to check. You can check this yourself. Just pull the battery and, if the spacer is present, it will look something like the following image.

View attachment 84605
Well, I finally checked my battery on my Trek Powerfly 2019. Unfortunately, the battery does not have that spacer.

But now I know my battery can't be upgraded.

Thanks again for your effort in putting together those posts!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles