Power Mode Selector Not Working?

Shaun

May 12, 2018
Saint Mary Bourne
Hi All,
I am after the voice's of experience in trying to identify a fault on a Shimano SW E8000 L handlebar power mode selector?

The bike is a Focus Jam 2 and it also has DI2 electronic gears which work fine using the RH handlebar switch. The LH power mode selector switch appears to be dead but as they are expensive I would like a second or multiple opinions on my diagnosis?

I have tried connecting the gear selector (RH) switch to the power mode switch (LH) cable and the gears still change as before which suggests to me the cable is all good and it's the power mode change switch itself that is the issue. If I connect the power mode switch to the RH lead the results are the same being non responsive.

I have researched switch failures on the web but without much success which suggests to me that these switch units are generally pretty reliable. I did read of a few units which were fouling on the brake lever thus preventing sufficient range to correctly operate but this is not the situation on this bike.

Is there anything else I can try or check to get the power mode switch responsive again? Are there any user serviceable parts I could check?

Appreciate as always any help the forum members could provide.
Cheers,
Shaun

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
check the controller for damage as Shun says ....I dropped my Jam when opening a gate ..it landed on the controller split the case open and spat out a small magnet assembly (fortunately I found in the mud) could not refit it on the ride but upon examination at home worked out that the bang had dislodged the very small magnets that work the controller ...after some faffing and head scratching I worked out how it all went together so applied plenty of super glue and so far so good .....crossing fingers ...I really dont want to cycle home again without power...
Its then you realise how good Ebikes are,.

Andy.M

Nov 25, 2020
Rochester UK
Managed to bust mine yesterday!
As I arrived home, I'm not really sure what happened, but I nearly went over the bars somehow having a rapid stop. The bike was then in walk mode trying to get away from me.
I then discovered that the controller levers were a bit not quiet in the right place and looking worse for wear 😂
By pushing and pulling the levers I can get trail mode or walk mode.
Ordered a new one :)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My Di2 power mode shifter became random. Sometimes jammed, sometimes working one way but not the other. The Focus dealer took 5 mins to fix it. He blasted the assembly with an air jet, never even removed it from the bars. He told me that it was just dust, happens a lot.

Andy.M

Nov 25, 2020
Rochester UK
Embarrassing update: :mad:
Ordered a new one which arrived quickly
Went to fit it. Took the old one off and it seemed to have started clicking again. Plugged it back in and the bloody thing was working again!
So now I have a brand new spare in stock - just in case!
Moral of the story, investigate properly and don't assume 😂

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles