Levo Gen 3 Power cutting issues?

Renton

Aug 4, 2021
Droitwich
HI all,

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue and managed to find a solution.

I bought gen 3 Levo comp alloy at the start of November and on the second ride I started to get some over run issues and also power cutting issues.

The over run would last for 4-5 seconds and then the bike would just cut out.

The power cut issues were random and the power would just go, as though I'd turned the bike off for 2-3 seconds. All at random points.

I took the bike back to a branch of the shop chain I bought it from and they have replaced the motor under warranty.

On the first ride out it was evident that the over run issue was sorted but the power cut problem is still persisting. It can happen at any time and doesn't matter if I'm going up, down or across a trail. Mainly in trail and turbo. The power just goes with no warning. The bike isn't turning itself off when this happens.

There also seems to be inconsistency in power delivery. I can be in turbo and it feels powerful, then 5 mins later still in turbo and it feels like its in Eco.

The drive in turbo feels very 'rubbery' for want of a better term.

Has anyone else had issues like this and managed to sort it out. Bike has done just over 100 miles and I've really lost faith in it. Its currently in the bike shop which is a 2 hour round trip for me.

Thanks.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
personally I doubt the motor was your problem. The symptoms you describe sound much more like battery issues too me given variations in power delivery and the overrun. Other than that it may be a faulty controller.
If this is a 2022 "bargain" either of those would seem even more likely when you consider the bike will have been made some time in 2021 and has been lying a round in a box for a long time!!

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Mine had a similar issue last week , not turning on/off when it felt like it . Had a battery not found error code so took it to Berkshire Cycles and they discovered the tcu to battery cable had corroded from moisture so replaced it , now works fine !

Last edited:

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
The first thing I look for with intermittent faults are the connectors. I suggest giving them a blast of contact cleaner and a nylon bristle brush. Dry with compressed air if you have access.

Regarding overrun, that was the first symptom my bike exhibited. Then I would get a burst of extra assistance on long climbs. My data logs showed a perfectly flat level of motor power, i.e. it didn't track my pedal input power. It all turned out to be caused by the sprag clutch dragging on a corroded crank shaft. A rebuild by Bearing Man's US affiliated solved all of the problems.

#lazy's post appeared while I was typing!

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
yes but there should not be any corrosion on the OPs bike which was new and only its second ride.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
yes but there should not be any corrosion on the OPs bike which was new and only its second ride.
I don't think corrosion is the only root cause of sprag clutch trouble. I only used my experience as an example of what happens when the clutch is faulty.

Renton

Aug 4, 2021
Droitwich
Thanks for all the info so far.

I forgot to say that there seems to be a lot more resistance in the drive train/ motor since it was changed. Would this make much difference?

stumpydumpy

Dec 15, 2020
Europe
Hi Renton,

Altough their problems were slightly different, please take note of the thread started by Careyjl, see at
https://www.emtbforums.com/members/careyj1.9416/
Their solution (and mine too) could have been the replacement of the whole wiringharnass or at least remove it and bring it in again properly, i.e. with as little stress and bends as possible.

Your problem however seems to me more like a battery problem and/or MasterMind/TCU.
If the battery, you can easely try this out with a temporary replacement.
if it works, happy for uyou.
If not, try to swap the MasterMind/TCU if available.

Good luck and let us know what your solutions has been.

Adasb

Subscriber
Jun 6, 2018
New Zealand
One more thing to look at: clean the magnet on the speed detection sensor on your rear brake rotor. My wife’s bike had power cuts and there was a lot of magnetic debris stuck on the sensor from her sintered metal pads. Wiped it clean and problem went away.

Might work for you too?

Money Pit

Subscriber
Jan 27, 2024
UK
One more thing to look at: clean the magnet on the speed detection sensor on your rear brake rotor. My wife’s bike had power cuts and there was a lot of magnetic debris stuck on the sensor from her sintered metal pads. Wiped it clean and problem went away.

Might work for you too?

Funnily enough I had a really muddy ride last Sunday and there was crud allover my sensor. I had a moment when riding when it felt like the bike went from turbo into basic trail mode. Seemed to drop it's assistance.

I was heading back to car at time so wasn't too bothered but I'll keep an eye on this on tomorrow's ride.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Mine had a similar issue last week , not turning on/off when it felt like it . Had a battery not found error code so took it to Berkshire Cycles and they discovered the tcu to battery cable had corroded from moisture so replaced it , not works fine !
Berkshire take some beating unbelievable service I've had from them considering their 588 miles away from me .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles