Pneumonia and Pulmonary Embolism

Howz

Oct 12, 2019
Chester
Where did that come from?

Have had a cough for a few days and on Sunday evening starting getting a sharp pain in my chest, was going to wait until Monday morning and phone the doctor….but I know what it’s like trying to get an appointment.

Anyway the pain became unbearable so reluctantly went down to A&E around 11.00pm……seven hours later left A&E having been diagnosed with pneumonia and a suspected blood clot on one of my lungs, they were going to keep me in, but agreed to let me go home in my wife’s care…so on antibiotics and my wife has to give me an injection in my stomach for the next 14 day to kill the clot I think….she‘s done 4 so far, back in for more tests next Monday.

I’m absolutely knackered all of the time, slept for over 11 hours last night….breathing is also a nightmare…….may not be out on the bike for a while 🙁

tabbibus

May 5, 2023
Atlanta, USA
Lung and critical care doctor here. Not providing you personal medical advice but just my two cents:

I see a few red flags.
- clot or no clot? This should not be a maybe diagnosis.
- if yes clot, then the treatment with blood thinners should be a minimum of 3 months and standard 6 months. 2 weeks is not an accepted Pulmonary Embolism treatment length.
- if you can. Check you oxygen levels 3 to 4 times a day.

Good luck and heal fast.

Howz

Oct 12, 2019
Chester
Lung and critical care doctor here. Not providing you personal medical advice but just my two cents:

I see a few red flags.
- clot or no clot? This should not be a maybe diagnosis.
- if yes clot, then the treatment with blood thinners should be a minimum of 3 months and standard 6 months. 2 weeks is not an accepted Pulmonary Embolism treatment length.
- if you can. Check you oxygen levels 3 to 4 times a day.

Good luck and heal fast.
Hi, Apparently the d-dimer blood test was elevated, have a CT booked for next Monday, I think the initial injections every day are just a precaution until they can confirm next Monday, thanks for your input….greatly appreciated 👍🏻

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Sad to hear mate. I hope all goes well. Fantastic to have a professional MD on here to help answer questions. My only advice is dont accept delays in tests etc...if necessary go private.

Howz

Oct 12, 2019
Chester
Thanks all, I don’t think there are any delays…it’s just the NHS, they put me on the anti blood clotting injections straight away and as a precaution rather than wait for the PE to be confirmed, as this is what they would have done if it was confirmed . I have a CT scan on Monday evening and then an appointment to discuss the results on Tuesday morning, then another type of CT scan on Friday . See what happens…

JonnyManc

Apr 18, 2023
Cumbria
Best of luck mate.

Having had both (well, DVT's rather than PE), I can see neither are pleasant....espcially not injections into your stomach!!

What I can say, I have not had pneumonia again, and my DVT situation has been well managed since 2012, so all is not lost!!

Get well soon ;)

Futant

May 23, 2020
SW Colorado
This sounds strikingly like Covid. The pneumonia followed by PE and extreme fatigue is what we are seeing here in the states. I hope all your issues resolve promptly. “Do Not” underestimate the PE, it can be and is very serious. Good luck.

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Where did that come from?

Have had a cough for a few days and on Sunday evening starting getting a sharp pain in my chest, was going to wait until Monday morning and phone the doctor….but I know what it’s like trying to get an appointment.

Anyway the pain became unbearable so reluctantly went down to A&E around 11.00pm……seven hours later left A&E having been diagnosed with pneumonia and a suspected blood clot on one of my lungs, they were going to keep me in, but agreed to let me go home in my wife’s care…so on antibiotics and my wife has to give me an injection in my stomach for the next 14 day to kill the clot I think….she‘s done 4 so far, back in for more tests next Monday.

I’m absolutely knackered all of the time, slept for over 11 hours last night….breathing is also a nightmare…….may not be out on the bike for a while 🙁
My ex wife just died from that, literally on saturday.
She went to A&E after having a cough for 3-4 weeks, she could barely breathe etc.
A&E gave her antibiotics and sent her home.

5 days later her friend was packing a bag to take her back to A&E and she passed away.

you're incredibly lucky or my local hospital is negligent.
I'm sure you'll be fine though sounds like they caught it early enough and your clot if you have one will already be getting dissolved.

tabbibus

May 5, 2023
Atlanta, USA
My ex wife just died from that, literally on saturday.
She went to A&E after having a cough for 3-4 weeks, she could barely breathe etc.
A&E gave her antibiotics and sent her home.

5 days later her friend was packing a bag to take her back to A&E and she passed away.

you're incredibly lucky or my local hospital is negligent
That is terrible to hear. So sorry.

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
That is terrible to hear. So sorry.
It's all fine, her kids have just accepted there's nothing anyone could have done.
Youngest is only 19 so going to be hard for him to have to grieve and start doing things for himself.

Hope OP realises how lucky he is and never takes chances with his health.

CannonFodder

Jul 5, 2022
N. Ireland
My experience was,,,,,

Caught COVID for the first time and about 6 months before vaccinations were due to start.

End of the second week of COVID and was just starting to feel human again, got up around 09:00 and started to feel a tickle in my chest that couldn't be scratched front or back. Being male I waited until about 14:00 before I rang the out of hours doctor as breathing was getting very very difficult, they insisted I rush into hospital pronto, even offered an ambulance.

Diagnosed with Pulmonary Embolism and Pulmonary Infraction. Given the anticoagulant to inject then Apixoban, great no needles to stick in your stomach.

During all this I borrowed a blood-oxygen meter and was reading 78 which I thought was OK as it only went up to 100 and 78 is well over half-way 😂

Read the leaflets on avoiding clots and follow the advice. My dad waited until I was recovered before telling me my grandfather died in hospital of a blood clot!

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
During all this I borrowed a blood-oxygen meter and was reading 78 which I thought was OK as it only went up to 100 and 78 is well over half-way 😂
Normals 95-99

I think under 92% your supposed to seek medical advice.
I've got a smart watch that measures mine every 20 minutes, or on demand if I want.
also takes readings of loads of other stuff too :)

Very handy to have .
There's a guy on youtube who reviews the accuracy of them I think his channels called the quantified scientist

CannonFodder

Jul 5, 2022
N. Ireland
Normals 95-99

I think under 92% your supposed to seek medical advice.
I've got a smart watch that measures mine every 20 minutes, or on demand if I want.
also takes readings of loads of other stuff too :)

Very handy to have .
There's a guy on youtube who reviews the accuracy of them I think his channels called the quantified scientist
On a good day mine is 93, if I'm lucky.

Regards accuracy, I pop it onto wifeys finger and it reads 98-99 so accuracy seems OK.

Still 91 (my new normal) is a LOT better than 78 😂

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I was in ITU last year with Sepsis, blood clots on lungs, pneumonia , diabetes
From all steroid take for my cancer & then caught Covid from hospital. Whilst in there

Futant

May 23, 2020
SW Colorado
I was in ITU last year with Sepsis, blood clots on lungs, pneumonia , diabetes
From all steroid take for my cancer & then caught Covid from hospital. Whilst in there
That sucks. All the more reason to get protection from covid in case one needs to go the the hospital. The hospitals are were Covid lurks and you want as much protection as possible especially if you are compromised. Sometimes our only option is to go to the hospital.

gord320

Sep 26, 2021
Mission BC
Couple of years ago I started getting short of breath.
I wasn't very active and was putting on some weight so kind of put it down to that.

Bought an eBike and actually rode it, using the pedals as much as possible. Thinking that it would help with losing some weight and regaining some better breathing.

So, about 18 months later I am out camping, doing a bit of fishing, by myself because the smarter half of my relationship doesn't really like that stuff much.

Took me about 6 hours to get my boat, motor, equipment, trailer, truck all packed up and ready to go. I was going to head another couple of hundred miles north for another week or two. I could not walk more that 50 feet without sitting down.

When I had finally driven out to the highway, I decided to drive home instead. Got home after a 6 hour drive and immediately went online to make a Dr; appt.

They called me in the morning and had made an immediate appt for me to get a CT/MRI scan asap. I went to the hospital, got checked in, put on that useless piece of cotton that is only good for a handkerchief, had the scans, checked out and starting driving home.

Hadn't gotten more than 7 or 8 blocks. They had already called and left a message at our house, called my cell twice, called my Lady's cell. Was told to return immediately to the ER. No waiting, straight in, "full code" admission.

Was there for five days. "Saddle embolism" IIRC. Caused pressure on my heart also.

That was just over 2 years ago. Blood thinners. Seems like everything is ok. Made it to 72 anyway!!

Hope you recover and get better.

Howz

Oct 12, 2019
Chester
I’m back in this evening for the first time for my first CT which is thorax and abdomen with contrast, then tomorrow morning I have a meeting with someone from the acute internal medical team….then back on Friday for another CT which is angiogram pulmonary.
Ive finished the antibiotics, but wife is still injecting the anti coag, pain in chest has gone, but very short of breath and I can feel my lungs are very sensitive as I am coughing badly every now and then.

spoke to my boss last Friday evening and he seems ok that I am off …. No pressure

gord320

Sep 26, 2021
Mission BC
Damn! Just looked on the maps. Your riding area is a lot different that mine.

Feel fortunate myself to have a husband/wife doctors that immigrated to Canada over 20 years ago. Great people, plus he likes Spike Milligan!

tabbibus

May 5, 2023
Atlanta, USA
I’m back in this evening for the first time for my first CT which is thorax and abdomen with contrast, then tomorrow morning I have a meeting with someone from the acute internal medical team….then back on Friday for another CT which is angiogram pulmonary.
Ive finished the antibiotics, but wife is still injecting the anti coag, pain in chest has gone, but very short of breath and I can feel my lungs are very sensitive as I am coughing badly every now and then.

spoke to my boss last Friday evening and he seems ok that I am off …. No pressure
Keep us posted. Heal soon. Don't forget to check your o2 levels. anything above 92 is fine.

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
Keep us posted. Heal soon. Don't forget to check your o2 levels. anything above 92 is fine.
Is a watch o2 meter any use in this situation? I'm always a bit skeptical, especially with Covid, as peripheral sats drop first, but it is a lot easier to have an Apple Watch checking every few minutes in the background...

tabbibus

May 5, 2023
Atlanta, USA
Is a watch o2 meter any use in this situation? I'm always a bit skeptical, especially with Covid, as peripheral sats drop first, but it is a lot easier to have an Apple Watch checking every few minutes in the background...
Better than nothing. At least you'll have a trend.

tabbibus

May 5, 2023
Atlanta, USA
Holy shit brother. Sorry to hear that. Lung cancer treatment has come a long way. Much better outcomes. I assume you'll get a biopsy soon. Sending positive vibes.

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
Unfortunately it’s not very good news as it seems I have lung cancer…. Seeing a consultant tomorrow so should know more then….still in shock.
Wow, so sorry to hear that. Like Tabbibus says, treatment has come a long, long way. Will be keeping everything crossed for you.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Unfortunately it’s not very good news as it seems I have lung cancer…. Seeing a consultant tomorrow so should know more then….still in shock.
That’s shit but if an early diagnosis then I hope is positive. I have multiple Myleoma a blood cancer. Treatment but no cure

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles