Please recommend a good and resistant chain for Sram 12 speeds ebike

Flo

Sep 16, 2020
Romania
So, people, please give a sugestion for a good chain for my ebike. I have a Sram SX 12 speeds transmision on my Scott ebike and i want to buy a new chain. But i don't want to cost me a fortune and also i don't want to change it after 500km. I heard about Connex, Sram and KMC chains but i need something good for my needs. Please give me an advice from your experiences. Thank you !

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Try Sram PC1130, but buy two and rotate them about after 400 km's and remember these instructions...

- learn to ride with a high cadence
- decrease power while shifting ONE gear at a time
- don't use full power all the time

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
E-bikes like motorcycles are an expensive hobby. Don't cut corners with drive-train components as failure on the trail will be more of a pain than spending the extra on the right part and maintaining it. There's no difference between an e-bike specific chain and a mid to high end chain apart from marketing. I would purchase a SRAM or KMC mtb 12 speed chain to suit your drive-train, possibly Eagle? As the above response suggests, you could buy multiple cheaper chains and rotate them every x-amount of miles.
Personally I replace my cassette every 3500 km after which I've used 3 chains, I consider this pretty good running (but I use Shimano 10 speed). I'm riding 100km per week and I petrol wash the chain once, but wipe and lube it 3 times in that week.

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
Try Sram PC1130, but buy two and rotate them about after 400 km's and remember these instructions...

just wondering what does riding with a higher cadence do to help the chain
I already do the other two you mentioned my my cadence is probably a bit low

Cheers

Flo

Sep 16, 2020
Romania
More maintenance than pedaling :))) You wash your chain one time wipe per week and after that you wipe with a cloth and lube the chain 3 times in that week ? And the chain ring how often you change it ? Please give me some chains options !:)

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
SRAM XO1 chain has hardened pins .
Pro ; Can last 2 - 3 times longer than cheaper chains . Con ; it costs 2 - 3 times more .

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland

As others wrote, I accidentally gave the 11-speed chain a recommendation. i didn't notice it was 12-speed.
That's when I recommend Shimano SLX, when looking for a cheap. Otherwise Shimano XT

Flo

Sep 16, 2020
Romania
Ok, many answers here, thank you very much but just a recommandation ? Sram x01. Kmc, Connex or other brands and a specific models , please ?

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
I tried a sram nx, gx chain and also a kmc gold and silver. The more expensive they were the longer they lasted. Problem was we were talking a $50 price difference between the nx and the kmc gold yet I only got another 300ks out of it. I could have easily got 2.5 nx chains for the price of a kmc gold. I'd just grab a couple of cheap chains and cycle through like was mentioned above.

Want to save more money move to a 1x10 drive train and your chains will last even longer.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
I tried kmc and connex chains. I wouldn't suggest connex e-bike chains as they are crazy expensive and I felt that the chain itself is durable but just weared hard on my cassette.

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
Sticking with SRAM NX or GX chains would be my advice. They’re cheap, readily available and fare just as well as more expensive options in my experience.

Alain78

Nov 2, 2020
France
I have a Stam XX1 chain, expensive but very solid, it has 950KM and the 0.5 controller does not fit. So the chain is not yet worn.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
23,11EUR new GX chain 12speed chain. This shouldn't be fortune.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
For those considering a cheap chain because it is cheaper per mile, that is not the end of it. Most wear on the gears happens when the chain is worn. The more worn the chain, the more the wear on the gears. So a longer life chain will contribute to longer life chain and cassette.

Flo

Sep 16, 2020
Romania
Folks, an update for the best heavy duty chain for emtb 12 speeds, please ? It doesn't matter the weight, must be resistant for many km.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
l use the cheap chains at £30 and get around 1500 miles from them.

l oil the chain with GT-85 only, before every ride.

The drive train stays clean, and after 1500 miles the chain is still not at the wear limiter.

l've posted this many times but it's generally ignored, forget all the posh oils and use GT-85 (or similar)

Using oil on my drive train l was getting 700 miles from the chain and 1500 from the cassette.

Since changing to the GT-85 the chains are lasting 1500 miles and l haven't changed the cassette at all.

This is a mixture on/off road in all conditions. As an added bonus the drivetrain stays clean and still looks new.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles