Please help educate me.. Enduro vs "All Mountain"

OC eMTB

Mar 15, 2024
Orange County, CA
Hello all. I'm on the hunt for my first "real" eMTB and have been crushing for a Specialized Turbo Levo Comp Alloy, but even with the current sales, it's a bit more than I would like to spend, so I have been researching a lot of alternatives.

I've been gravitating to the YT Decoy and going back and forth between the Decoy Core 2 (All-Mountain) and Decoy Core 3 (Enduro). I understand the difference in the terms and some of the differences in geometry etc, but I guess my real question is, are they really that different?

I would describe my riding as more trail than downhill, but where I've been riding, there is a fair amount of climbing, downhill, and just trails. I'm assuming the Core 3 would perform well in that environment as well, but, smaller batter aside, would I really benefit from the extras on the 3 vs the 2?

I keep eyeing the larger battery the 3 comes with, which would be a $1K upgrade for the 2 which then puts the price right in the ballpark for the 3 or is the performance and parts difference on the 3 well worth the extra money for my style of riding?

Appreciate any input you folks may have!

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
The Enduro has the EP801 motor which is supposed to be better than the EP8 in the All Mountain. That and the bigger battery is enough to swing it for me. The components on the Enduro are a level up too.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
"all mountain" is merely a marketing term to allow a brand to big up a bike which could otherwise be denigraded as a mere "trail" bike........................there is no difference...its a trail bike and there is nothing wrong with that!!:D

OC eMTB

Mar 15, 2024
Orange County, CA
"all mountain" is merely a marketing term to allow a brand to big up a bike which could otherwise be denigraded as a mere "trail" bike........................there is no difference...its a trail bike and there is nothing wrong with that!!:D
I assumed as much and probably should have titled it Trail rather than All Mountain, but appreciate the feedback. Thanks.
I signed up for a test ride next week.

OC eMTB

Mar 15, 2024
Orange County, CA
You should do what I wish I had done - visit the Sea Otter bike show in Monterrey in April and test ride as many bikes as you can. It is *very* difficult (Impossible, but that word might start a flame war) to figure out what would suit you by reading what other people write.

Link to 2024 Sea Otter schedule
Wish I could make it up there for that, but I did sign up for the test ride at YT next week. Thanks for the reply.

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I keep eyeing the larger battery the 3 comes with, which would be a $1K upgrade for the 2 which then puts the price right in the ballpark for the 3 or is the performance and parts difference on the 3 well worth the extra money for my style of riding?

Currently I'm of the opinion that battery size matters. I've had a mid-size battery that often left me stressing about going dead before the ride is over. There have also been times where the big-battery guys would leave me struggling because they could ride with more assist. Since going to a bike with a bigger battery, both those concerns are things of the past.

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
Also check opinions about Motor brands: Shimano vs Bosch. There are a lot.

During 5 years I had a Shimano motor and 4 different Shimano batteries (This is a clue), and then I decided to switch brand and now I own a Cannondale Moterra with Bosch Motor, 750Wh battery, and soon a 250Wh Range Extender, only for long rides.

edruid

Jun 11, 2022
Gloucestershire
In my mind enduro means you're hitting stuff harder, pulling more g's one way or another (including braking). An enduro bike ought to be able to deal with that better and for longer than an all-mountain bike. An Enduro bike is for people who like trails but go a bit crazy downhill now and then, especailly if they are heavy (guilty). If you are light and careful downhill save your money and go allmountain.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
An enduro bike ought to be able to deal with that better and for longer than an all-mountain bike. An Enduro bike is for people who like trails but go a bit crazy downhill now and then, especailly if they are heavy (guilty). If you are light and careful downhill save your money and go allmountain.
My take on it as well (y)

CraigR

Aug 10, 2020
Livermore, Ca
Don't want to start a motor war on this thread, but I have had a Giant Stance for the past 4 years with a Yamaha motor and have had zero issues with it. Giant (at least in the US) is having a huge sale right now and I just pulled the trigger on a Trance X Advanced E+ 2. Carbon frame, 800 watt battery, Syncedrive Pro2 85Nm motor (Yamaha PW-X3 motor). Priced at $7,200 with the sale I got it for $5,500 (USD). They are upgrading the drive train to SRAM GX T-Type transmission for $1,000. So out the door $6,500. It also has a flip chip to change the riding characteristics between a more fast/aggressive ride or a more Trail ride. Though I am skeptical it will make much of a difference give the spec differences between the two positions (You can see them here: Trance X Advanced E+ 2 20MPH (2023) | bike | Giant Bicycles US in the geometry sections).

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
Sizing the battery somewhat depends on your typical “ride time”. Too big a battery and you will hate carrying the extra weight without using it, too small you will have “range anxiety”.
Market sweet spot between 630Wh - 750Wh for full fat emtb (there are smaller and/or bigger options available out there...)

kla456

Mar 8, 2020
Dundee
It's a journey. Start from wherever you are and go from there. Improve with experience, sell one and buy another. You should end up with a number of bikes that cover the gamut of your needs, then buy another bike.

Litespeed

Dec 23, 2023
Vista California
Hello all. I'm on the hunt for my first "real" eMTB and have been crushing for a Specialized Turbo Levo Comp Alloy, but even with the current sales, it's a bit more than I would like to spend, so I have been researching a lot of alternatives.

I've been gravitating to the YT Decoy and going back and forth between the Decoy Core 2 (All-Mountain) and Decoy Core 3 (Enduro). I understand the difference in the terms and some of the differences in geometry etc, but I guess my real question is, are they really that different?

I would describe my riding as more trail than downhill, but where I've been riding, there is a fair amount of climbing, downhill, and just trails. I'm assuming the Core 3 would perform well in that environment as well, but, smaller batter aside, would I really benefit from the extras on the 3 vs the 2?

Appreciate any input you folks may have!
I have a "trail bike". Trek Fuel exe 9.8 xt. Goes up and down hill. You can upgrade the Decoy Core 2 to better parts one they wear out. The weight of a bike with a heavier motor is only a bad thing if you are walking or loading it on your car. The big deal is not going up the hill, it's how long will the battery last based on your current riding style and the trails. You can squeeze a lot of juice out of a smaller battery by the way.

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
The term "All Mountain" predates both "Trail" and "Enduro". Before Ebikes were really a thing, in the mountain bike family there were essentially just Cross Country (XC), All Mountain and Down Hill (DH). It was later on that the market became a bit more segmented when gravity enduro racing began to be more popular and a longer travel all mountain bike became the enduro bike and a lighter all mountain bike became a trail bike.

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Thanks, everyone. I appreciate all the feedback and I'll let you know what direction I go!

If this hasn't already been mentioned, the Enduro will allow you better handling in jumping and steep chunk. The Trail will allow you better cornering and precise climbing. It's a generalization, but essentially true. If you choose the Enduro, you might have to work harder in the turns. If you chose the Trail, you'll have to work harder on big jumps and straight-line chunk. It's a compromise. Neither is perfect. You just need to decide where you want the greatest advantage and where you're willing to settle for imperfection.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
The lines are getting blurred but here goes
travel in mm
100-130 xc
130-150 trail
140-160 all mountain
150-170 enduro
170-180 freeride
180-200 downduro
200+ dh

Effectively a all mountain bike is a bit gruntier than a trail bike, but not as burly as an enduro bike.

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
The lines are getting blurred but here goes
travel in mm
100-130 xc
130-150 trail
140-160 all mountain
150-170 enduro
170-180 freeride
180-200 downduro
200+ dh

Effectively a all mountain bike is a bit gruntier than a trail bike, but not as burly as an enduro bike.
You missed Down Country ;)

skinnyboy

May 25, 2023
Canada
Nice to have the larger battery for sure. When I first got mine I thought the 540 would be plenty. I was wrong.

Geometry is the same on the Decoys. Perhaps a budget Core 1, and have the dough left over for good brakes and dialed in suspension or a larger second battery?

Cheers.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles