Please help! Advice for my brother who wants an elecrtric hardtail

nickd164

Jan 7, 2020
sheffield
My brother who is a nurse would like to buy an electric hardtail. In January I bought a Levo Turbo and he has been converted! However he only wants to spend about 2k and doesn't want full suspension.

Initially I would have said buy a Levo HT, but I notice you can't remove the battery and this maybe an issue for him and being a Specialized the spec seems quite poor. I reckon he should get a FS but they would probably be out of his budget and he already finds it unbelievable you can spend 2k on a bike let alone 4k. Does anyone on the forum own a Giant Fathom HT?

He will use it to commute and ride some trails with me. At the moment he definitely won't feel the need to bash out long epic rides, more like Clumber Park and the Monsail trail, however I think the bug will bite and may upgrade as his experence expands.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France

RedTed

Oct 1, 2019
Sheffield
Difficult at the moment but there's no substitute for trying them out. I managed to get demo rides on a Cube HT and the Specialized Levo HT, and despite quite liking the look, as soon as I got on I knew they were not for me. The Trek Powerfly HT's have removable batteries so worth consideration?

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
I like the look of the Cube Acid Hybrid One. Lower-power Bosch motor, but then again I ride a Levo SL and the Cube out powers that. Cube Acid looks like a good platform to upgrade later. Get a wider range chainset, 120mm forks. I think it'd be pretty sweet, particularly considering the low price.

Cube Acid Hybrid One 400 29 2020 E-MTB Black/Green - Buy Online

If you don't want to wait to upgrade, go for the Cube Reaction Hybrid Pro 500, but it's list price £2100. Can probably negotiate a local shop down to £2k....

maynard

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
I like the look of the Cube Acid Hybrid One. Lower-power Bosch motor, but then again I ride a Levo SL and the Cube out powers that. Cube Acid looks like a good platform to upgrade later. Get a wider range chainset, 120mm forks. I think it'd be pretty sweet, particularly considering the low price.

Cube Acid Hybrid One 400 29 2020 E-MTB Black/Green - Buy Online

If you don't want to wait to upgrade, go for the Cube Reaction Hybrid Pro 500, but it's list price £2100. Can probably negotiate a local shop down to £2k....
What this guy said .

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
The Levo HT does have a removable battery, you can get the 2019 model for less than £2k which would leave some money for upgrading the forks, the standard ones are shite....

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I’m sure the Cube Acid 1 is a very good bike but if he can possibly stretch to the Cube Reaction Pro 500 he will get a bigger battery and a more powerful motor. Still I’m sure whatever he gets will be thoroughly enjoyed. Good luck!

nickd164

Jan 7, 2020
sheffield
Hi everyone,

Many thanks. I'll have a look at the Cube Acid range and maybe revisit the Levo HT. I hope you're all keeping well and managing still to get out. I'm sure that going out for a safe spin is all ok. I really hope he gets one soon as I'm convinced an eMTB (or maybe any bike) is at the mo really good for ones mental well being. So is beer.

Zero

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Fx1"
Apr 15, 2020
Midlands
Get Full suspension 2019 Canyon Neuron if they have any left. £2500 i think they were. pay the extra.

nickd164

Jan 7, 2020
sheffield
I went in to J E James today and well done for the social distancing in place in store. Currently they have sold out of the large size Cube HT. Will wait till back in so my Bro can sit on one.

RedTed

Oct 1, 2019
Sheffield
I went in to J E James today and well done for the social distancing in place in store. Currently they have sold out of the large size Cube HT. Will wait till back in so my Bro can sit on one.

Did you try Evan's on Queens road? They had Cube HT's on demo last year which I was able to try.

nickd164

Jan 7, 2020
sheffield
Many thanks for all the advice. Yesterday he purchased a Giant Fathom E + 2 from the Giant store in York. He’s obviously very pleased and excited. In the end it was the only bike he could find in a large in the area. Sales of ebikes really have gone ballistic!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles