Plastic rim guard or tape ?

JFDI

Feb 13, 2021
Helmsley, North Yorkshire
comp 30 rims came with TLR plastic rim strip. Should I use that or remove it and use tape to go tubeless?

Hi Razz1,

My advice (experience) would be to say "yes use rim tape"..

I've just been through the process of swapping tyres from the stock bonty ones to Schwalbe's and also cushcore inserts.

Like a good boy I watched all the helpful videos on YouTube (🤔the ones where all the tyres and cushcore fit easily) and felt confident that I knew what to do.

I left the rim strip in and started on the front wheel first.
After 6-7 solid hrs of wrestling I ended up snapping 3 Park Tool levers, expending all swear words and finishing with a blister on the palm of my hand (insert wanking joke here). Tyre 1 - me 0.

Then I ordered 2 Cushcore bead dropper tools, they are awesome 👍and I managed to get the front tyre to seat correctly, although it was still tight as hell at the final point, plus my blister was bloody sore at this point!

I suspected that the rim strip was causing me the tight fit issues, but full of new found confidence I set to on the rear wheel, and straight away broke both bead dropper tools!
Now these tools are seriously strong and through brute force I snapped both tools, fortunately they have lifetime warranties and through the Cushcore US website they replaced both tools, great service 👏 by cushcore arranging the quick turnaround.

I then snapped the replacements. 😭(Re-replacements are due soon!)

Fed up, I admitted defeat and visited my LBS (Big Bear Bikes, Pickering).
Guess what they suggested?
Yup, remove the rim strip and use DT swiss rim tape.
At this point I was shattered with a blister the size of a dinner plate, so they took pity on me and fit the tyre and cushcore for me (cheers to Bobby) and how easily it went.

Hey ho, you live and learn eh?😉😁

Hope this helps.
Dave

20220128_154906.jpg

Razz1

Apr 7, 2020
Pennsylvainia,usa
Hi Razz1,

My advice (experience) would be to say "yes use rim tape"..

I've just been through the process of swapping tyres from the stock bonty ones to Schwalbe's and also cushcore inserts.

Like a good boy I watched all the helpful videos on YouTube (🤔the ones where all the tyres and cushcore fit easily) and felt confident that I knew what to do.

I left the rim strip in and started on the front wheel first.
After 6-7 solid hrs of wrestling I ended up snapping 3 Park Tool levers, expending all swear words and finishing with a blister on the palm of my hand (insert wanking joke here). Tyre 1 - me 0.

Then I ordered 2 Cushcore bead dropper tools, they are awesome 👍and I managed to get the front tyre to seat correctly, although it was still tight as hell at the final point, plus my blister was bloody sore at this point!

I suspected that the rim strip was causing me the tight fit issues, but full of new found confidence I set to on the rear wheel, and straight away broke both bead dropper tools!
Now these tools are seriously strong and through brute force I snapped both tools, fortunately they have lifetime warranties and through the Cushcore US website they replaced both tools, great service 👏 by cushcore arranging the quick turnaround.

I then snapped the replacements. 😭(Re-replacements are due soon!)

Fed up, I admitted defeat and visited my LBS (Big Bear Bikes, Pickering).
Guess what they suggested?
Yup, remove the rim strip and use DT swiss rim tape.
At this point I was shattered with a blister the size of a dinner plate, so they took pity on me and fit the tyre and cushcore for me (cheers to Bobby) and how easily it went.

Hey ho, you live and learn eh?😉😁

Hope this helps.
Dave

View attachment 82083
Wow man. I'm convinced. Tape it is. Thanks for responding.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
straight away broke both bead dropper tools!
Now these tools are seriously strong and through brute force I snapped both tools
Don't use them as tyre levers. They're honestly not all that strong at all when used as leverage. but they really are a great tool when pushed directly into the tyre sidewall down near the bead to push the bead and the cushcore into the rim well to give you enough slack to mount the tyre bead all the way round.

JFDI

Feb 13, 2021
Helmsley, North Yorkshire
Don't use them as tyre levers. They're honestly not all that strong at all when used as leverage. but they really are a great tool when pushed directly into the tyre sidewall down near the bead to push the bead and the cushcore into the rim well to give you enough slack to mount the tyre bead all the way round.
A great handle too, no more blisters!🙂

Dhmorelia

May 5, 2021
Australia
Thanks. I’ll check with my lbs. I’ve had exactly the same challenge. I gave up in the end and decided to tackle it another day.😀

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles