• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Pins & needles

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
I'm noticing this in my right wrist lately. It generally comes on about ten miles in to a ride.90% of my riding is longish trail stuff, sat down. I haven't made any changes to the contact points recently, so I'm interested in advice on what I guess is adjusting bars, saddle etc. aimed at relieving pressue in my arms. Bike is a Jam2 large & I'm 6' tall if that is useful, the only change over the stock bike is Renthal bars, 30mm rise & cut to 760mm.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
I'm noticing this in my right wrist lately. It generally comes on about ten miles in to a ride.90% of my riding is longish trail stuff, sat down. I haven't made any changes to the contact points recently, so I'm interested in advice on what I guess is adjusting bars, saddle etc. aimed at relieving pressue in my arms. Bike is a Jam2 large & I'm 6' tall if that is useful, the only change over the stock bike is Renthal bars, 30mm rise & cut to 760mm.
Alloy bars?
I (personally) found Renthal bars to be too harsh on the hands and arms. maybe look at a more compliant bar like the One-Up ones?

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
what you need is a Ti upgrade kit.
1706701792999.png

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@RustyMTB I can recommend giving the Ergon GP1 grips a try. They stopped my pins & needles and numbness.
If you give them a try, take an Allen key with you as getting the angle just right is key to success. The angle may be different on each grip.

You don't have to buy new ones, there are used ones on eBay to try out the concept. It is where I sell my old ones.

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
Going from a Newman carbon bar to an alloy spank spike and then back to the Newman carbon bar I could feel a massive difference between the two, with the carbon bars feeling every fibration and causing pins and needles.

I'm now running SQ labs 16 degrees with extra chunky ESIgrips and the pins and needles have stopped and the wrist pain is massively improved.

I would recommend doing the simple wrist angle test to see if a bigger back sweep would help you out.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Think I might try that first rather than take everything off & swap bars altogether. Start with the easy stuff & all that.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Before I knew that carbon bars varied in stiffness and feel, I switched from a Renthal alloy bar to the exact same geometry Renthal carbon bar and I could not believe the difference! Every single rock felt as though it had had the corners rounded off just for me. :love:
But two rides later it was as though I hadn't bothered, it was now the new normal. :rolleyes:

John Beedham

Apr 5, 2019
Lochiel, NSW, Australia
@RustyMTB I can recommend giving the Ergon GP1 grips a try. They stopped my pins & needles and numbness.
If you give them a try, take an Allen key with you as getting the angle just right is key to success. The angle may be different on each grip.

You don't have to buy new ones, there are used ones on eBay to try out the concept. It is where I sell my old ones.
…agree … Ergon GP1 grips solve the pins and needles, and reduce other wrist and arm fatigue.

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
If I were you, I’d get higher rise bars to take more weight off of your hands/wrists.

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
Two things have alleviated my pins and needles in hands. I moved my brakes further down so that my wrists were not as cocked back when on the brakes. I then fitted the ridiculously expensive Revs grips. The combination of the two, the latter on day three of an Alps trip, have massively reduced the problem.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles