Performance CX - delay when starting to pedal?

sigg

Jul 1, 2020
Poland
Hi,

I've recently moved from a bike with Bosch Performance to Bosch Performance CX motor. I noticed something that wasn't present in the "classic" Performance motor. When I start to pedal there is a very slight delay, where it feels like for just a moment you are pedalling without assistance and then the motor starts working and supporting you.

It's not making riding the bike any harder, as the pedal moves maybe an inch or less before the motor starts working, but I haven't noticed it on the classic Performance motor, where you didn't really feel the motor engaging at all. Seemed more natural, while with the CX you definitely feel the moment the motor starts.

Just wanted to ask if it is normal or some kind of defect.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Not sure, I haven't noticed it. on the other hand I have been riding the CX for 4 years and if there was a delay, I am used to it.

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Interestingly I think that it was this Forum's very own Rob Hancill in one of his YouTube videos who complained that the CX4 motor was like a basket of overeager puppies. I think he was complaining that there wasn't enough of a delay for his liking.

[Edit: No he didn't. It was the Yamaha motor!]

Last edited:

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Hard to say as I havent ridden the other motor you're comparing to, I guess there is a very (very) slight delay that seems to vary depending on what gear you're in and what motor mode you're in.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Interestingly I think that it was this Forum's very own Rob Hancill in one of his YouTube videos who complained that the CX4 motor was like a basket of overeager puppies. I think he was complaining that there wasn't enough of a delay for his liking.
That's the Yamaha PWX-2!

sigg

Jul 1, 2020
Poland
Not sure, I haven't noticed it. on the other hand I have been riding the CX for 4 years and if there was a delay, I am used to it.
I'm also getting used to it, as I mentioned it's nothing dealbreaking. It's more of a very distinguishable moment when you feel the engine start working.

BrentD

Jun 25, 2020
New Zealand
Since updating to the new 85Nm firmware (1.1.0.0) my Rail is super eager off the line. Noticeably more so than even the Brose motor on a friends Levo that I rode recently.

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
Hi,

I've recently moved from a bike with Bosch Performance to Bosch Performance CX motor. I noticed something that wasn't present in the "classic" Performance motor. When I start to pedal there is a very slight delay, where it feels like for just a moment you are pedalling without assistance and then the motor starts working and supporting you.

It's not making riding the bike any harder, as the pedal moves maybe an inch or less before the motor starts working, but I haven't noticed it on the classic Performance motor, where you didn't really feel the motor engaging at all. Seemed more natural, while with the CX you definitely feel the moment the motor starts.

Just wanted to ask if it is normal or some kind of defect.
Interesting this coz I’ve just noticed the delay when you apply pressure to the pedal in any mode ( on the Purion) and in any gear. I can replicate the delay any time when I free wheel then apply pressure to pedals so as to engage the motor assist......did you resolve the delay or live with it ?
Cheers

AKAKTM

Apr 23, 2020
Santa Clarita, CA
I've experienced the same. My CX4/Rail 9.9AXS has more delay thank it should and more than the Brose when pedaling in fast sections--particularly when you exceed the assist limit. It can be awkward when trying to maintain speed in a 18 - 22mph section.

What's crazy is it seems like mine isn't as good now as it was with much earlier firmware. It's feels like Bosch has made the initial pedal tip in and pressure to get power take more pressure and a slight delay in time to get going. This alone is not a deal breaker, but it could be much better.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
The reaction time in Bosch Performance Line CX engines is <300ms (activation of assistance, deactivation of assistance when stopping pedalling) if there's some numbers from other motors to compare. That is only the reaction time though. Different story what is the reaction and that maybe the one that rider feels.

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
I’ve done a couple of rides since being aware of this delay in pedal to motor pickup. The more I think about the problem I’m inclined to wonder if the freewheel mechanism in the motor is not as quick to engage now as it was when it was new. I can move the complete drive train about 3 mm before the backlash in the system is taken up, I’ve had the freewheel hub cleaned and re-lubed, fitted a new GX chain and fitted my new spare X0 derailleur and still this annoyance persists.
I need to compare my bike to another one with similar mileage to see if there is any discrepancy betters the two.

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
Hallelujah........I’ve sorted this problem. I had new bearings fitted in the hub under warranty from Whyte, carried out by the dealership I purchased the bike. They assured me everything was ok with the hub (but coincidentally this problem occurred after the bike was returned). It went back to the dealership because I wasn’t convinced that the work on the hub wasn’t the cause of this particular fault and again was assured the hub was fine and that that was it as far as they were concerned. Today I stripped out the freehub and found the pawls and spring were rusted and not particularly free moving, it didn’t help matters the pawls were covered in copper slip anti-seize compound not a lubricant so this caused th pawls to stick. 20 minutes later after a good clean and oil the hub is back to working as good as new.
This is another example of shop mechanics not paying attention to detail. I’m starting to feel very cynical about the competence of cycle shop mechanics ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles