'People who ride eBikes are lazy.'

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Well done. But I hope you didn't just plan this ride to try and make a point about Ebike riders not being lazy.

74 miles isn't actually all that far for a normal Sunday road ride without a motor. Especially at the pace you've ridden it.

Buy a roadbike. They're quite a bit faster and a lot more fun to ride. ?

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
74 miles is a hell of a ride on a mtb. One day i may actually be able to get up early enough and achieve an epic like that. My claim to fame is 42 miles and I've fell short of that for a long time. I think I could eek out that range on my bosch gen 4 considering I've completed several 12 mile rides in off , its just my motivation has been lacking over the last few months of cold weather (y)

MrMarzocchi

Apr 26, 2021
Wales
Well done. But I hope you didn't just plan this ride to try and make a point about Ebike riders not being lazy.

74 miles isn't actually all that far for a normal Sunday road ride without a motor. Especially at the pace you've ridden it.

Nah. It's just a flawed narrative.

I would buy a road bike but I'm not made of money

MrMarzocchi

Apr 26, 2021
Wales
74 miles is a hell of a ride on a mtb. One day i may actually be able to get up early enough and achieve an epic like that. My claim to fame is 42 miles and I've fell short of that for a long time. I think I could eek out that range on my bosch gen 4 considering I've completed several 12 mile rides in off , its just my motivation has been lacking over the last few months of cold weather (y)
Same mate feels like I've been in hibernation. Now's the time though. Become a June Prune. ☀️

MrMarzocchi

Apr 26, 2021
Wales

It's not that far on a bike that weighs 9 kilos but mines more than 2 and a half times the weight of that. And the times that long because I didn't stop my watch when I stopped for breaks

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
I have often thought I am going to get on my bike and ride away from base and keep going untill the battery runs out or my legs give in then get the wife to come and pick me up. Just wondered how far I would get. (y)

MrMarzocchi

Apr 26, 2021
Wales
I have often thought I am going to get on my bike and ride away from base and keep going untill the battery runs out or my legs give in then get the wife to come and pick me up. Just wondered how far I would get. (y)
That's pretty much what I did here. 59 miles and the 2nd battery light went off, still had 3 bars left. It's pretty solid on eco. I was gonna do the full journey on eco I thought 'ive got nothing to prove' so whacked in trail for the last stretch ?

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
I usually do those big rides to in the weekend. Yesterday did a ride (60%road 40% offroad) of 110 km( only 368 heigtmeters) and came back with 2x2 full bars on both my batteries

sendler2112

Jan 2, 2021
Syracuse, NY USA
Anyone that still thinks that a Class 1 electric mountain bike is lazy and that you can't get a workout, has never tried one. I get the same heart rate (pegged) on my emtb as I do on any of my analog bikes. Just that it allows an aging and average rider like me to approach the uphill segment times of the elite riders and get around a 13 mile and hilly loop at Green Lake on a long lunch and get back to work (I still don't even surpass the KOM's so these bikes obviously do not "roost up the trails" the way some people complain that they do any more than an elite athlete). I'm 60 which predicts a max HR of 160 which is the most I ever see on any bike. I can occasionally see 166 on my roller skis. Check out my average intensity from Thursday. 137 average, including warm up, and a couple max efforts to 160.

strava ebike.jpg

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
:unsure: I've got an ebike and I am lazy....
Lol your not alone, I've not been out for 4 weeks, I blame work and working weekends at my house on jobs. My Garmin watch doesn't get that and just says I'm inactive and on rest and is having a serious effect on my training :rolleyes:
I will be out and motivated again soon .

MrMarzocchi

Apr 26, 2021
Wales
Lol your not alone, I've not been out for 4 weeks, I blame work and working weekends at my house on jobs. My Garmin watch doesn't get that and just says I'm inactive and on rest and is having a serious effect on my training :rolleyes:
I will be out and motivated again soon .
This made me overly proud

PSX_20210603_031128.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
No badge for less physical effort % than most Garmin for users?

I iz disappoint

remosito

Aug 25, 2020
switzerland
I get this most often teasingly from people who don't even ride bio-bikes or e-bikes.

I just reply "Not really lazy. Just not into pain and suffering". Which usually gets a laugh.

No laugh though when the "you are lazy" came from a hardcore bio-biker....

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand

Good luck to you, and I mean that. For many years I rode both MTB on a Wednesday riding 64 km over two 'mountain passes' on 4WD tracks mostly. On the Sunday, my mate and I went bunch riding with a group of 'roadies', up to 100 km training ride on NZ State Highways.
The Sunday road cycling took up around 3-3 and a half hours, the double passes about the same. But guess what took the most effort/burnt the most calories? Mountain biking by far, and I enjoyed it more.
We both decided riding on public roads/highways was getting too dangerous on our road bikes, so we quit, sold our road bikes, and stepped up our mountain trail riding. Never regretted it. Finally, road bikes in my humble opinion, are not a lot more fun to ride. Compared to mountain biking, road cycling is a little on the boring side in comparison. I guess it all boils down to what rings your bell.

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
This is how lazy I have been since I got my e-MTB in late August last year...

Total Distance Total kCals Total Elevation Average Elevation
710.2 miles 37013 81478 ft 1598 ft

So I've nearly climbed Mt. Everest three times! I average 1600 ft per ride. I average 12.67 miles per ride. I have burnt an average of 617 kCals per ride. (Some of these averages would be better but I took my good lady wife along!)

I'm almost at 28lbs weight loss (currently 25lbs).

So much for 'cheating'...

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent

So I've nearly climbed Mt. Everest three times! I average 1600 ft per ride. I average 12.67 miles per ride. I have burnt an average of 617 kCals per ride. (Some of these averages would be better but I took my good lady wife along!)

nice one mate! Game changer..... and most importantly I bet you had a laugh doing it

now let someone try and tell you they are expensive and not worth the money lol

MrMarzocchi

Apr 26, 2021
Wales

Exactly. What's the saying.....consistency over volume....if you train hard 3 times a week but I'm consistently training 6 times I have 100% more output over you throughout the year... training should be fun, it's all good working hard but if you can't consistently maintain it you're not gonna be as good simple as.

I'm the same ever since I got my eBike a month ago I've done over 400 miles. I wouldn't even attempt the rides I've been on on my old bike and I'd be turning around and going home sore and hurting after about 30% of what I've done on my eBike. Game. Changers.

MrMarzocchi

Apr 26, 2021
Wales
nice one mate! Game changer..... and most importantly I bet you had a laugh doing it

If you think about the rental prices I'd already be a grand down lol

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
I have should have added - at least 90% is off-road, the remaining is public highway and poor quality private tarmac tracks...

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
Finally, road bikes in my humble opinion, are not a lot more fun to ride. Compared to mountain biking, road cycling is a little on the boring side in comparison. I guess it all boils down to what rings your bell.

100% agree. I’d rather be dodging trees than cars and wearing loose clothes rather than Lycra

Bobj183

Feb 12, 2021
Essex
I did 42 miles today, mixed dirt and tarmac. 1,600 calories according to Kiox. I've done 640 on my Trek powerfly since January and I recon the Powerfly in eco takes more effort than my Whyte E120 or my Boardman Pro Carbon road bike on flat tarmac and a lot more than either bike over 25kph. I think the big benefit of the Powerfly is cleaning long steep inclines off road and the ability to go further faster off road. I was 74 this year and I'm hoping that riding an ebike is going to help me keep going for a lot more years yet. :)

TG1971

Nov 14, 2020
Yorkshire
Me and the wife have done 200 miles this week and 24000ft of climbing all mainly on technical off-road in the Lake District uk had a comment about cheating every day either walkers or other mtbers, yesterday’s ride was 32 miles and 4200 ft of climbing all in eco with last 2 miles with battery dead really tough ride it’s not lazy we ride more per week now than we did on normal mtbs

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles