Pedalling e-bike when motor turned off

dps21

Aug 27, 2023
Scotland
Hi folks
I am quite new to e-biking. When the motor is 'assistance off' it feels like I am pedalling through glue - feels like massive resistance. Is this 'psychological' after the feeling with 'assistance on'. I have a new Specialized turbo levo so I thought there was a clutch that disengaged the motor when off - so why does this feel so 'heavy'?

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
OK, is that all it is? The difference feels massive
I agree. I've heard it from so many people, that I figured it "must" be true. Some say that it's also because one gets used to the motor support. But the difference is huge between my old Stumpjumper with MTB tryes and my Levo with commuting tyres. Also can't see the weight making that much difference as I'm already over 100kg, so the overall percentage weight difference isn't that great.

dps21

Aug 27, 2023
Scotland
I agree. I've heard it from so many people, that I figured it "must" be true. Some say that it's also because one gets used to the motor support. But the difference is huge between my old Stumpjumper with MTB tryes and my Levo with commuting tyres. Also can't see the weight making that much difference as I'm already over 100kg, so the overall percentage weight difference isn't that great.
Yes - I find it difficult to think it is just due to increased weight and tyre resistance. It feels really strange, and maybe it is just 'psychological' after the motor support, but it would good for someone 'in the know' to confirm that the motor definitely disengages when turned off and I'm not pedalling against the resistance of the drive motor - as this is what it feels like

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
My Orbea Rise rides like a normal bike motor off, and if I'm going for a short ride I leave it off. Even did a fairly stiff climb at the w/e just for the cardio, one I don't always manage on a 12kg manual! Funny thing is if I switch off mid ride it feels like there is a resistance, but if I ride out with it off it feels normal.

A mate's ebike definitely has a lot of motor drag when switched off to the point where it's unrideable. Try before you buy.

dps21

Aug 27, 2023
Scotland
My Orbea Rise rides like a normal bike motor off, and if I'm going for a short ride I leave it off. Even did a fairly stiff climb at the w/e just for the cardio, one I don't always manage on a 12kg manual! Funny thing is if I switch off mid ride it feels like there is a resistance, but if I ride out with it off it feels normal.

A mate's ebike definitely has a lot of motor drag when switched off to the point where it's unrideable. Try before you buy.
Yes - that's exactly my experience - which makes me think it is 'psychological'

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I think there is a difference between not being switched on and "off" selected as a mode. Not totally sure why but it is probably to do with the fact that if the system is switched on but "off" as a mode selected the motor is still powering the torque sensor etc on the crankshaft.

dps21

Aug 27, 2023
Scotland
I think there is a difference between not being switched on and "off" selected as a mode. Not totally sure why but it is probably to do with the fact that if the system is switched on but "off" as a mode selected the motor is still powering the torque sensor etc on the crankshaft.
Mmm, that's interesting - because I sometimes start with motor off completely (on very flat terrain) and turn it on later, then go to 'off' as a mode...and it feels different. Will experiment with that tomorrow. The Specialized turbo levo was specifically marketed as not having any motor drag, but as my first e-bike not sure how others feel

Polar

Jun 16, 2023
Norway
Mmm, that's interesting - because I sometimes start with motor off completely (on very flat terrain) and turn it on later, then go to 'off' as a mode...and it feels different. Will experiment with that tomorrow. The Specialized turbo levo was specifically marketed as not having any motor drag, but as my first e-bike not sure how others feel
You can try out motor drag with switch on/off with the bike in a stand/backwheel off the ground.
Try also on flat in different gears, low is harder than high gears.

capposteve

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2023
Cornwall
i am a proud owner of the same bike. first ride out on the weekend and experienced the same feeling. even running on the flat and turning it off its almost impossible to keep at 10mph without your legs burning. Almost feels like the brakes are binding. Lucky for me i was with a friend and i mentioned this. He also has an Emtb (shimano motor) so we swapped and confirmed something is going on with the drive system that causes it to drag when switched off. Both of us noticed the same thing. I also confirmed this by butting the bike in the stand and turning it off and peddling. And yes there is 100% some noticeable drag somewhere in the drive unit. I hope i never have to ride home with a dead battery.

dps21

Aug 27, 2023
Scotland
coz sometimes battery is flat, or you can pedal >25km/h

i am a proud owner of the same bike. first ride out on the weekend and experienced the same feeling. even running on the flat and turning it off its almost impossible to keep at 10mph without your legs burning. Almost feels like the brakes are binding. Lucky for me i was with a friend and i mentioned this. He also has an Emtb (shimano motor) so we swapped and confirmed something is going on with the drive system that causes it to drag when switched off. Both of us noticed the same thing. I also confirmed this by butting the bike in the stand and turning it off and peddling. And yes there is 100% some noticeable drag somewhere in the drive unit. I hope i never have to ride home with a dead battery.
Thanks - that's v helpful. I'll contact Specialized because the info def says the Brose motor should fully disengage when not assisting

dps21

Aug 27, 2023
Scotland
Motor resistance, heavy bike and heavy tires = glue feel.
In my instance gobs of travel too make it feel worse.
Yeah but that's the point - there shouldn't be motor resistance as the clutch should disengage the motor when not assisting

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Yeah but that's the point - there shouldn't be motor resistance as the clutch should disengage the motor when not assisting
I can feel it the resistance. Its not all tires and weight.

PS There's still gearbox bearings gears and stuff. You cant tell be there is zero resistance with all this mumbo jumbo Even if the motor its self has been disconnected.

1693371713246.png

Last edited:

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
PS There's still gearbox bearings gears and stuff.
As it was mentioned before, there is a clutch.

Put your bike upside down or over a ground and rotate pedals.
Also, rotate your wheel back, then you'll feel the motor.

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
once i did 10-15km ride home (first Canyon Spectral:On with Shimano) and dead battery, i was able to keep 25-27km/h most of the time (flat tarmac road), something similar I do on my analog bike.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
once i did 10-15km ride home (first Canyon Spectral:On with Shimano) and dead battery, i was able to keep 25-27km/h most of the time (flat tarmac road), something similar I do on my analog bike.
I have done similar to that, only without the flat battery and with the motor still switched on. Once I go above 25kph, the assist cuts off. Tarmac roads are easy.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles