Parktool chain degreaser

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
I have 2 different chain degreasers. 1from Parktool and one from Morgan blue.
Both pretty good , after cleaning I did both in a empty bottle to see if I can re-use it.
The morgan blue bottle stayed black(so I guess I should throw it away), the Parktool one went to this.
20201127_153142.jpg
20201127_153149.jpg

Looks like it cristallized with unter the cristals a small black layer. Is the liquid on top still usable?

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
Is it cold where you store that? If so, it looks like it's just frozen into wax. Warming it up would melt it again.
Caveat: I have no idea what's in the Park Tool degreaser

Banktramp

Jul 13, 2019
West Midlands
I go to my local screw fix and buy heavy duty engine degreaser for £9 for 5 litres.

Never had any issue using it in moderation, I just pour about 200ml into a small bowl and use a detailing brush.

Job done

F38B32F6-92A8-4EC9-B323-01B2D8478E86.jpeg

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I have 2 different chain degreasers. 1from Parktool and one from Morgan blue.
Both pretty good , after cleaning I did both in a empty bottle to see if I can re-use it.
The morgan blue bottle stayed black(so I guess I should throw it away), the Parktool one went to this.
View attachment 45670 View attachment 45671
Looks like it cristallized with unter the cristals a small black layer. Is the liquid on top still usable?
I didn't realise that specialty chain degreasers also form a sediment... strange colour though. Do you use dry teflon chain lube? I'm not sure if any of them can be reused.

But the photos you posted reminded me of the old-school method I still use... which is good'ol turpentine.
What I do is pour the turps in a larger clear plastic bottle in which I drop the dirty chain in. I close the cap and just shake the bottle until all the liquid turns murky (or black, haha... oops, left it dirty for too long ?). Then I pour the murky turps back into its original bottle and just leave it in storage until I need to use it again. I don't fuss about making the chain ultra perfectly clean as it's pointless when riding dusty dirt trails.

Pic below doesn't clearly show the sediment formed at the bottom. The turps will continue to clear up more when left standing still. Next time I clean another chain, I just pour out the cleanish liquid - but stop short of pouring the out sediment into the bigger shaker bottle. No matter how often I use the same bottle, and no matter how dark the turps get, it will always clear-up - the sediment just gets deeper. This one is actually a newly replenished bottle... still mostly have the old turps in there, just added some more new stuff to maintain the volume. I only dispose of the sediment from an exhausted bottle, and can keep this going for years and years. You might be able to do the same with your degreasers.

Because I use it indoors (my garage) I only buy 'odourless' turps for this purpose (and also for cleaning paint brushes).

Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 12.11.15 PM.png

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles