Washing up liquid chain degreaser?

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Does anyone use washing up liquid as their chain degreaser/cleaner? (Obviously washing off afterwards before lubing)

Seems a bit bonkers paying for special degreaser if good old Tescos best will sort it...

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Standard thinners and a 1/2 lt plastic milk carton.
If you go to one of the bigger car parts dealers, you'll get a 5lt tin of 'standard thinners' for about £14-£15. If you go to b&q or anywhere else you'll pay about £7 for a small 250ml tin. So buying the big tin is way more economical. And of course you can use it to clean everything from your hands to paint brushes.
Place chain in carton, add thinners, replace lid and shake like you're on Copacabana beach.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Pretty sure has salt in in it.....I could be wrong as kitchen cleanliness not my best of subjects

Yup it does, but not a lot (if any) more than riding in mud/usual slop; so my thoughts were as long as I wash it off straight away after cleaning it should be ok; fingers crossed

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I have the PT chain cleaner and it depends on what lube im using.
if ive been using wet lube the washing liquid doesnt stand a chance but for normal riding and using dry lube - no problem
I have given up using wet lube now as it just gunks everything and attracts grit but I used to get it off with road film remover (truck wash) in the PT cleaner.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Washing up liquid is BOTH a degreaser and a detergent.
Used neat and combined with elbow grease it'll do a fairly decent job of breaking down chain oil and removing grit/paste from chains/cassettes/chainrings etc.
Assuming you're going to rinse the bike and any components after properly any wet cleaning. then dry and re-lubricate any moving components I honestly wouldn't worry about the sodium content in WUL.

CIF bathroom foam mouse is awesome for getting chains and cassettes sparkling clean.
Been using it for since it was JIF Mouse 20+ years ago
when cleaning it to sell I'll spray the entire bike leaving it gleaming so prospective buyers are blown away by how good they look. (Even shitters and kids bikes)

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Unlike most degreasers washing up liquid will not remove decent lubricants and for lighter oils it only works effectively if left to soak and if used with hot water. If you did the washing up by hand you modern "just chuck it all in the dish washer" ..." what do you mean its wasteful doing a 2 hour cycle just for a one cornflakes bowl and a coffee cup??" ....whippersnapers ...........you would know that!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

Repsol

Dec 25, 2021
Yorkshire
There's no way I'd be putting thinners on my bike to clean the chain, the solvents are far too powerful, over time it will ruin the paintwork and etch into the lacquer dulling the paint finish. Try it on your car bodywork and see the effect it has. No matter how careful you are, splashes will go onto the paintwork, not to mention the plastic motor covers that will eventually become damaged taking on a white bloom appearance. Far more safer to use a water based degreaser or better still use GT85 ptfe lubricant on the chain.

Last edited:

Walkea

Aug 18, 2019
Glasgow
Quote from Revolubes manual for their chain lube
Detergent containing SLS soaps (Sodium Laureth Sulphate), e.g., cheap shower gel - see the ingredients on the label. SLS soaps are being used in the industry for machinery cleaning from greases and oils. These act as degreasers and coagulants. You will also find them in cleaning agents used by car washes.
1. Put the component in the container and fill it with a solution of hot water and detergent. 2. Wait for 10 minutes for the solution to penetrate every nook and cranny. 3. Shake the container vigorously for about 1 minute. 4. Remove the cleaned element and rinse thoroughly with fresh water. 5. Allow to dry for about 1 hour

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Does anyone use washing up liquid as their chain degreaser/cleaner? (Obviously washing off afterwards before lubing)

Seems a bit bonkers paying for special degreaser if good old Tescos best will sort it...
Used it for years never did any harm . If your out a lot and always covered in mud the chain etc is never going to last long anyway. Its only clean in shed usually and filthy within a few mile of riding. Some will argue. Drying is a problem if not in a warm area.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Halfords sell 5l of car wash liquid soap (no detergent, no salt, no wax) It does a very good job on my bike and it is cheaper than 5l of Fairy Liquid.

See this EMTB thread for a full exploration of substances used to clean bikes.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles