Park Tool PRS 22-2

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Because I am not happy hanging a 23/25 kg emtb from the dropper post I looked for an alternative work stand. I settled on the Park Tool PRS 22.2 which supports the bike with a fork mount and below the motor.
I have 3 bikes which need to fit...a Levo Comp (large) a Whyte 180 RS (large) and a Cube Access (15 inch). So crank to front axle is 76mm, 85mm and 70mm respectively.
The main rail length is marginal for the Levo and too short for the Whyte. The Cube is fine...BUT....Park Tools do a 150mm rail extension piece which I have fitted, so all the bikes fit.
The under motor support is actually designed for the bottom bracket and it works OK on the motor bash guard/ motor housing but I prefer to spread the load more evenly so as an interim I have used a block of upholstery foam wedged between the original brackets. I intend getting a rubber block instead later now I know what size it needs to be.
The fork mount takes 12mm 15mm and 20mm axles just by moving a pin. The stand also comes with a qr axle that fits all open drop outs. So any bike will fit and you can use the fork mount for the rear through axle if you need to work on the forks etc.
The stand is height adjustable ...the pics are with it set at its lowest.
You can also rotate the bike 360°.
The stand is easy to fold up and take with you on trips.

20201009_131844.jpg

20201009_131814.jpg

20201009_131759.jpg

20201009_131713.jpg

20201008_193855.jpg

20201008_193848.jpg

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Because I am not happy hanging a 23/25 kg emtb from the dropper post I looked for an alternative work stand. I settled on the Park Tool PRS 22.2 which supports the bike with a fork mount and below the motor.
I have 3 bikes which need to fit...a Levo Comp (large) a Whyte 180 RS (large) and a Cube Access (15 inch). So crank to front axle is 76mm, 85mm and 70mm respectively.
The main rail length is marginal for the Levo and too short for the Whyte. The Cube is fine...BUT....Park Tools do a 150mm rail extension piece which I have fitted, so all the bikes fit.
The under motor support is actually designed for the bottom bracket and it works OK on the motor bash guard/ motor housing but I prefer to spread the load more evenly so as an interim I have used a block of upholstery foam wedged between the original brackets. I intend getting a rubber block instead later now I know what size it needs to be.
The fork mount takes 12mm 15mm and 20mm axles just by moving a pin. The stand also comes with a qr axle that fits all open drop outs. So any bike will fit and you can use the fork mount for the rear through axle if you need to work on the forks etc.
The stand is height adjustable ...the pics are with it set at its lowest.
You can also rotate the bike 360°.
The stand is easy to fold up and take with you on trips.

View attachment 41768

View attachment 41769

View attachment 41770

View attachment 41771

View attachment 41772

View attachment 41773
The Whyte fits!

20201009_152459.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
A stand that doesn't allow you to work on the front brake/wheel, headset, fork lowers, or drop the motor?
That's really pretty useless in my eyes.
You do realise Ebikes heavier than yours are held in workshop stands by the seatpost in almost every decent LBS?

Last edited:

Bumpy

Jan 1, 2020
Bristol
A stand that doesn't allow you to work on the front brake/wheel, headset, fork lowers, or drop the motor?
You do realise Ebikes heavier than yours are held in workshop stands by the seatpost in almost every decent LBS?
Yeah I don't understand why people worry about this, the dropper takes your body weight just fine. As long as it's fully extended its no problem. Been using my £25 Lidl stand on my Levo by the seat all year with no issues. It even holds the whole bike off the ground and is quite sturdy.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Yes you can work on the front end. You use the fork mount on the rear through axle since the mount also takes 12mm. You can remove cranks and motor side covers OK. If I ever needed to drop the motor I would put the bike upside down and not use a stand......not something I have done in 18 months or would expect to do on a regular basis!
I know LBS use seat post clamping, is that any recommendation???

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yes you can work on the front end. You use the fork mount on the rear through axle since the mount also takes 12mm.
what an absolute ball ache. bleeding both brakes just wouldn't be worth bothering with a stand that's that much hastle at all.

If I ever needed to drop the motor I would put the bike upside down and not use a stand.
Hahaha... in your anti gravity room I presume.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Yep, seen the video - I still understand why people might be reluctant to do it.
Some questionable physics there I reckon. A bike hanging from the seat post and being worked on does not present a constant force due to its swing weight. Their "heavy" bike was 13/14 kg not 23/24 kg of ebike I note. It probably also needs to be considered that Park Tools has a significant installed base of workstands in LBS and home workshops and they are used on everything from road bikes through to commuter and analogue mtbs, all of which weigh considerably less than any E bike. More and more emtbs have no option to clamp the frame ( carbon frames/ "squashed" front triangle shapes/ Evol reservoir shocks etc) so LBS especially with workstands bolted into the floor will understandably use what they have. None of that says its the best way to work on an EMTB .

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
what an absolute ball ache. bleeding both brakes just wouldn't be worth bothering with a stand that's that much hastle at all.

Hahaha... in your anti gravity room I presume.
Its not a v8!! only weighs a couple of Kg!! .......and there is no reason why both brakes cannot be bled......front wheel off and through axle in the fork clamp, back wheel off............whats the problem?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Its not a v8!! only weighs a couple of Kg!!
Even if it were 100g it still wouldn't "drop" upwards. The comment about anti-gravity was a joke mate. Maybe you need to chill a little? ;)

whats the problem?
Well. the very obvious problem occurs when you want to check pad clearance, rotor/caliper alignment and piston retraction with the actual rotor installed. and trust me, that's a shit load less hassle not having to re-mount the entire bike in the stand the oposite way with god knows how many clamping pieces required just to access each end.

...in your opinion.........no one is saying you have to use this clamp...so chill!
It's not actually my opinion. I think you'll find it's a fact concluded from my vastly greater experience of working on bikes. ;)
You've created many more problems by trying to solve what was a complete non-issue in the first place. Which also happens to be exactly why I'm so chilled watching you continually talk absolute bollocks.

have a good weekend mate. you've made me smile

:LOL:

Last edited:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Oooh what a paddy...oops Scot not Paddy. It's good we are both having a good time then mate....your posts always make me laugh.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I sell the full range of Park workstands in my shop (even the PRS 33.2) and I have never had anyone return one until we sold the PRS 22.2 I have 3 in inventory and 2 of them are returns.
If it works for you, that’s awesome, but it does have several limitations.
As posted in the park video with Calvin and Truman, there is nothing wrong with clamping it by the post.
If you’re really worried, remove the battery if it doesn’t need to be there. Two of my personal bikes have AXS posts and the rest have BikeYoke Revives, never have I ever hesitated to clamp at the post.
All of my technicians in my service department clamp it at the seatpost and we have never had an issue.

Jul 19, 2019
West Lancs
Some questionable physics there I reckon. A bike hanging from the seat post and being worked on does not present a constant force due to its swing weight. Their "heavy" bike was 13/14 kg not 23/24 kg of ebike I note. It probably also needs to be considered that Park Tools has a significant installed base of workstands in LBS and home workshops...
I reckon my pie transportation facility (body) puts far more stress on the seat post and frame in terms of twisting forces / moments than a bit of movement in a stand. If bikes are that delicate they wouldn't stand up to being ridden, put on bike racks etc.

The dropper is also up against the stops if you've extended it, so again there's no great load spikes. I do have mechanical sympathy (I crack the axles free before hoiking up onto the stand for example) but I'm more worried about the plastic parts of my cheapo stand than the bike.

Park may have an installed base, but wouldn't they take the opportunity to sell a whole new set specially for ebikes if they could justify it?

Appreciate it's entirely your choice though ?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I sell the full range of Park workstands in my shop (even the PRS 33.2) and I have never had anyone return one until we sold the PRS 22.2 I have 3 in inventory and 2 of them are returns.
If it works for you, that’s awesome, but it does have several limitations.
As posted in the park video with Calvin and Truman, there is nothing wrong with clamping it by the post.
If you’re really worried, remove the battery if it doesn’t need to be there. Two of my personal bikes have AXS posts and the rest have BikeYoke Revives, never have I ever hesitated to clamp at the post.
All of my technicians in my service department clamp it at the seatpost and we have never had an issue.
Re your returns....I looked mostly at the Park Tools PRS 22.2 and the Feedback Sports Sprint. To peak also do a couple of similar stands but reviews were variable. The biggest problem with both Park Tools and Feedback is lack of information about the max distance between the fork mount and the bottom bracket support. As I mentioned above I had to add the 150mm rail extension (bought separately) to the Park Tool stand to enable my Levo Comp (size large) to fit and my Whyte W 180 RS uses most of that extension. Park Tools should either lengthen the rail as standard or include the extension as part of the standard product.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Having used the stand a couple of times now I have found it really good. I transport and store my bikes on fork mounts so after a ride the bike goes straight on the stand for a check over clean and lube. Being able to rotate the bike 360 degrees is really useful in the limited space of my garage. I have marked the ideal positions for the bb support and fork mount for both bikes and the lowest height setting makes the bike lift easy.

20201015_144049.jpg

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
your not meant to lift a bike with a dropper post by that post ;) your LBS doing it wrong

oh damn just noticed the date what a necro post! "Similar threads" tricked me into browsing a 3 year old post sorry

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles