Pairing a Garmin Edge 130 Plus to my Rise

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
How did you get the EBike field to work with your Edge 130 ? I’ve been trying for hours and am ready to throw the device to the moon!

Well by some weird coincidence or wonderful witchcraftery, after posting the above and trying to pair the Garmin for hours last night and this morning, it’s suddenly come to life and all is good! 😀

93CC3F72-5264-4A6C-A8A6-E037A8415D52.jpeg

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Sussed out what the issue was and its really simple, and probably already been said before

Once the EBike field app is installed on your Edge 130+ and data field configured, when connecting to the bike, ensure you turn on your Garmin first and then power on the bike, not vice versa

@JanCapek - no need to reply to my other post or email, problem solved!

Matthew-B

Apr 22, 2021
Harrogate
How did you get the EBike field to work with your Edge 130 ? I’ve been trying for hours and am ready to throw the device to the moon!
When I initially installed it, I added the ebike field, & nothing, then about 6 months later I updated the plugin (or whatever they are called) and then it just worked, is yours the Edge 130, or the 130 Plus? if its the 130 that might be the issue??

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
When I initially installed it, I added the ebike field, & nothing, then about 6 months later I updated the plugin (or whatever they are called) and then it just worked, is yours the Edge 130, or the 130 Plus? if its the 130 that might be the issue??

It’s ok, thanks for your reply, I’ve got it working now, as posted above. It was simply a case of turning on the Garmin and then the bike, doh!

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire

And I have the Edge 130 Plus

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
You just to add the bike as a sensor, BUT start the garmin searching first, then power on the bike, the shimano motors will only connect to an app or device for the first like 15 seconds after they are powered on. Very annoying when you want to tweak a setting in e-tube..
Just set up my wife's 130. When you search for sensors it says it can't find any, but the e bike field has got a bike code number now and it seems to be working (though just in the garage it was only updating the mode and not giving a battery %age, but I see that same behaviour with the other app. Battery % doesn't seem to come through until you've been riding a while which is really annoying as it would be nice to know the bike is fully charged before you set off!)

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Just set up my wife's 130. When you search for sensors it says it can't find any, but the e bike field has got a bike code number now and it seems to be working (though just in the garage it was only updating the mode and not giving a battery %age, but I see that same behaviour with the other app. Battery % doesn't seem to come through until you've been riding a while which is really annoying as it would be nice to know the bike is fully charged before you set off!)

Make sure you turn the Garmin on first, then set it as though you are about to go on a ride (searching for GPS etc), then turn the bike on. Battery % and power mode should show instantly. I was faffing with the app for hours last week but eventually sussed it all out

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
Make sure you turn the Garmin on first, then set it as though you are about to go on a ride (searching for GPS etc), then turn the bike on. Battery % and power mode should show instantly.
That made absolutely no difference to me. mode comes up and changes with the buttons, but the battery %age remained blank

Matthew-B

Apr 22, 2021
Harrogate
What I find is the battery % field isn't that consistent in when it decides to come on, the order in which I turn things on doesn't make much difference either, it just seems to come on after a couple of minutes riding.

MikeL_mtb

Feb 15, 2022
New York
Sorry I was checking this app out recently and realized it works differently than the others, you DON'T add the bike as a sensor it seems? You pair the app using your phone to the bike:
"So I just downloaded your app on Connect IQ, put the EBike field on to a data page (2 x fields) and I presume that’s it ? Once I have the Rise and pair the bike with my phone your eBike fields will come to life ?"
I'll try it later on and see how it works for me, I do have a 830 though.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Sorry I was checking this app out recently and realized it works differently than the others, you DON'T add the bike as a sensor it seems? You pair the app using your phone to the bike:
"So I just downloaded your app on Connect IQ, put the EBike field on to a data page (2 x fields) and I presume that’s it ? Once I have the Rise and pair the bike with my phone your eBike fields will come to life ?"
I'll try it later on and see how it works for me, I do have a 830 though.

Sorry, I’ve read what you just quoted from me and my description was a little misleading

When I said pair the bike with the phone, that’s using the Shimano E-Tube project app

Jan’s E-bike field app is downloaded onto the Garmin 130+ - I did this using my laptop, Garmin Express and the USB cable

I’d already configured the e-bike field into the data field on the Garmin, that process is simple and can be easily done on the device

To then pair, it’s simply a case of turning the Garmin on, setting is as though you are about to go for a ride, ‘e-mountain’ on my 130, then turn the bike on

On my data field screen I immediately get the battery % and power mode shown on the single e-bike field I added

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Sorry, I’ve read what you just quoted from me and my description was a little misleading

When I said pair the bike with the phone, that’s using the Shimano E-Tube project app

Jan’s E-bike field app is downloaded onto the Garmin 130+ - I did this using my laptop, Garmin Express and the USB cable

I’d already configured the e-bike field into the data field on the Garmin, that process is simple and can be easily done on the device

To then pair, it’s simply a case of turning the Garmin on, setting is as though you are about to go for a ride, ‘e-mountain’ on my 130, then turn the bike on

On my data field screen I immediately get the battery % and power mode shown on the single e-bike field I added

It should look something like this …

6FFC406E-1343-4A92-BAD2-8DBB78681266.jpeg

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Yes it will say ‘off’ at first when I turn the bike on, then eco, trail or boost depending on which mode I select

On Garmin Express, in the settings on Jan’s app, you can choose how you want the info displayed. You might have a number from 0 to 3, 0 being off, 3 being boost ?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
And this is how you change how you want the info displayed on the ebike field …

click the IQ Apps box

E10B07E3-4647-451D-A892-EC79EFD70283.jpeg

then click the three dots on the right of Ebike field

CABA9767-AA14-4E2C-8235-41B04C4A8DF3.jpeg

then you can change the settings from the drop down menu

2F4CD523-AC2D-46DF-9BB0-FB0C655FCE14.jpeg

I’ve blanked out my pairing ID, the pin code I got from Jan for premium functions after donating €5 for his app, and my email address

I also read in Jan’s instructions that you have to add an email address in this box for the app to work

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
Really like the E-bike field on the 130 - it's just what I need and no more.

However, @JanCapek sometimes it's a bit flaky. It often doesn't show the battery % for some time after switching on, sometimes loses that and occasionally gets out of sync with the mode. Is this just the nature of the link or can the polling interval be increased?

The most annoying is not being able to get a battery % immediately and reliably on powering up the bike.

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
@b33k34 yep, this is known issue for Shimano STEPS connectivity. Bike by default don't send battery % unless it change. Unfortunately really hard for me to debug and solve on my end.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles