Pairing a Garmin Edge 130 Plus to my Rise

Matthew-B

Apr 22, 2021
Harrogate
I've recently got a Garmin Edge 130 plus, I've managed to install the Ebike field on it, but the field is blank, I'm guessing its not pairing with the bike, is there anything else I should be doing? The bike connects fine to the Shimano e-tube app, so I know the bluetooth connection is working fine.

BTW, loving the Rise so far, only had it a couple of weeks, it's a game changer!

Really would appreciate any advice, thanks.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Although looks like that doesn't support the Edge 130+ :(

If the field is this one: Ebike Field | Garmin Connect IQ - then that unfortunately does not support Shimano STEPS :(
[Edit 14 Feb 2022: Ebike Field mentioned above has now been updated to work with Shimano STEPS!!]

You should be able to make your own activity (e.g. called EMTB) or customize an existing cycling one. Then edit the data fields/pages for that activity and add your own custom fields like: battery percentage, speed, cadence. You will need to add your Rise as a new sensor to the Edge 130 (it will do a search for it), and then when it is connected those fields you added will display the right data.

Last edited:

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
I've recently got a Garmin Edge 130 plus, I've managed to install the Ebike field on it, but the field is blank, I'm guessing its not pairing with the bike, is there anything else I should be doing? The bike connects fine to the Shimano e-tube app, so I know the bluetooth connection is working fine.

BTW, loving the Rise so far, only had it a couple of weeks, it's a game changer!

Really would appreciate any advice, thanks.

I installed Jan's e-Bike field app a couple of months ago on my Edge 520 Plus to connect with my Giant Trance, but, like you, all I could get was empty fields.
I bought the updated Ride-One ant+ controller for the bike specifically to use it with this app.
After numerous e-mails back and forth to the developer and hours of changing various settings on and off at his suggestion, I was unable to fix it and he admitted he had no idea why it would not work.
I gave up and just use the e-bike page which seems to automatically appear on my Garmin when I connect my bike via ant+.

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
I gave up and just use the e-bike page which seems to automatically appear on my Garmin when I connect my bike via ant+.

I'd missed this - what do you do and what info does it give you?

This app works on the Edge 130

it's not perfect - font is too small, needs to be black text on white background (not as it is now) but it does show battery %, mode and assist level. (not 'range' but that's useless on any e-bike I've seen it on anyway)

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
I'd missed this - what do you do and what info does it give you?

It shows you the battery percentage, power level and, from memory, I think your speed.
I'm not sure where the screen comes from, but it automatically appears as an extra screen when I switch on the bike, and it disappears when the bike switches off. If I scroll down the list of screens to show in the Garmin's settings menu, it does not appear.
At least I no longer have to use the terrible Giant app to see the battery %, and can see it as I am riding.

rrs6801

Jun 24, 2021
Arizona
Hi Matthew, did you ever get your garmin edge 130+ to connect to your Rise ?

I really don't want to buy an edge 530, just so I can show the battery % , speed and cadence ?

-thanks

Matthew-B

Apr 22, 2021
Harrogate
No, I tried to get it to see the Rise as a new sensor, & it couldn't see it, so not really sure what I'm to do, I'm not that interested in what speed I'm going, heart rate, what the weathers like etc, I really only wanted to see how much battery I had left, so it might be on ebay pretty soon, bit disappointed in it TBH

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
No, I tried to get it to see the Rise as a new sensor, & it couldn't see it, so not really sure what I'm to do, I'm not that interested in what speed I'm going, heart rate, what the weathers like etc, I really only wanted to see how much battery I had left, so it might be on ebay pretty soon, bit disappointed in it TBH
have you tried the IQ app I posted above? it's working reliably for me with a 130 and gives battery %age. (you need to install the app and then configure it somehow but it was pretty straightforward)

Matthew-B

Apr 22, 2021
Harrogate
have you tried the IQ app I posted above? it's working reliably for me with a 130 and gives battery %age. (you need to install the app and then configure it somehow but it was pretty straightforward)
Ah right the one with the watch picture on it, no I havent, I'll give it a go tonight, thanks!

Matthew-B

Apr 22, 2021
Harrogate
Just tried installing the app, but it said it wasn't compatible with the Edge 130 plus, you'd think in this day & age you'd be able to turn it on, connect & everything would work, all seems a bit over complicated & fiddly

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
My Rise is finally due in a few weeks. Currently have the Edge 130 Plus and to be fair it does everything I need and I really like the small discreet size

However, thinking of going for the 530 just for the simple compatibility with the Rise using RS Toolbox

If that app posted above syncs ok with the 130 then I might just keep it and knock the idea of the 530 on the head (don’t like the size of it, too large)

Guess I’m being a bit indecisive but looking for the forums advice if you have successfully paired the 130 with the Rise

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
My Rise is finally due in a few weeks. Currently have the Edge 130 Plus and to be fair it does everything I need and I really like the small discreet size

However, thinking of going for the 530 just for the simple compatibility with the Rise using RS Toolbox

If that app posted above syncs ok with the 130 then I might just keep it and knock the idea of the 530 on the head (don’t like the size of it, too large)

Guess I’m being a bit indecisive but looking for the forums advice if you have successfully paired the 130 with the Rise

Just noting that I mentioned Ebike Field | Garmin Connect IQ above, and it has now been updated by @JanCapek to work with Shimano STEPS - and it says it's compatible with Edge 130 and Edge 130+ - which sounds cool :) I haven't tried it yet though!

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Just noting that I mentioned Ebike Field | Garmin Connect IQ above, and it has now been updated by @JanCapek to work with Shimano STEPS - and it says it's compatible with Edge 130 and Edge 130+ - which sounds cool :) I haven't tried it yet though!

Cheers for that. My problem is that I'm so impatient that I need to know it will work with the 130 from day one, and I can't test it until I have the bike in my pocession! The 530 is tried & tested by many so I know that will work, but only a few seem to have the 130 and most seem to have given up hope of pairing it with the Rise

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Ebike Field is used by many on Edge 130, so it should work. ;) Thanks @mark.ai for mentioning me!

So I just downloaded your app on Connect IQ, put the EBike field on to a data page (2 x fields) and I presume that’s it ? Once I have the Rise and pair the bike with my phone your eBike fields will come to life ?

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
Can someone give step by step instructions for pairing a Garmin 130 to a bike?

I've done it but can't remember what I did and someone off list is asking me.

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
You just to add the bike as a sensor, BUT start the garmin searching first, then power on the bike, the shimano motors will only connect to an app or device for the first like 15 seconds after they are powered on. Very annoying when you want to tweak a setting in e-tube..
No, this is guide for connecting bike as Garmin eBike sensor which I forgot if it is even available on Edge 130. To connect Ebike Field, just install it, configure it to your screen and it should automatically connect to bike.

MikeL_mtb

Feb 15, 2022
New York
No, this is guide for connecting bike as Garmin eBike sensor which I forgot if it is even available on Edge 130. To connect Ebike Field, just install it, configure it to your screen and it should automatically connect to bike.
Sorry, I am unclear of the difference? Once the garmin detects the bike and it's sensors, you can add data fields to a profile now from the E-bike section, it's just a few basic, but useful metrics. I also have the steps data field installed on mine as well, but I'm not sure if that works on the 130.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I haven’t got my Rise yet but I have set up my Garmin 130 with Jan’s app ready to display the battery %

It’s really easy , just download the app from Connect IQ, then add a new data field, then add the ebike field to the data page. I only want battery %, don’t need to know what mode I’m in, that should be obvious. This is what it’ll look like:

A2555586-6135-465E-BC1B-80DD9EECF214.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles