Own a few emtbs but...

Captain45

Oct 1, 2019
Usa
Recently moved to a state that doesnt allow ebikes on any trails. What would you do?

I have a jam2, and levo comp and love them dearly.

(accidently posted this in focus forum, couldnt move it)

Carol2208

Sep 8, 2020
Spain
How far are you from trails you would be able to ride? How realistic is it that you will go more or less often to ride them? Any talks in your state about when/ if they will potentially allow e-bikes? If you´re planning to stay there in the short-medium term and the answer to the above questions are no, seems like selling the bikes is a no-brainer

maynard

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Anyways. Riding levo around town is heaps of fun .de restricted or not. more w a chip. pump the tryes up to 40psi . Get some good lights too . There is a guy here somewhere that sells chips to make ur levo awesome. Ride ur bike to work ? Ride to people's houses. Lose the car man .

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
Read the rules for the different agencies. There's probably mention of allowing access for "other powered mobility devices" for those of us who are handicapped ;)

Captain45

Oct 1, 2019
Usa
What state?

Michigan. Only allow ebikes on ORV trails which are mainly for motorcross and ATV's. Pretty dangerous for a slow emtb

The state feels very anti emtb overall. I see a lot of snobby comments from local bike groups and fb pages etc.

Captain45

Oct 1, 2019
Usa
Anyways. Riding levo around town is heaps of fun .de restricted or not. more w a chip. pump the tryes up to 40psi . Get some good lights too . There is a guy here somewhere that sells chips to make ur levo awesome. Ride ur bike to work ? Ride to people's houses. Lose the car man .

Ive been doing that a little bit (riding around town). I probably wont derestrict for warranty reasons but i still kind of feel like a jerk urban biking, hitting stairs and concrete drop offs make me feel like Im a punk skateboarder or something....no offense to skaters.

Captain45

Oct 1, 2019
Usa
? (y)

If you are in the US, ask for forgiveness later.

Heh, ive thought about it. I've even thought about trading my levo in for an SL to be a bit more inconspicuous but in the end Im sure someone would report me. Hiding in the shadows I think id' really miss out on meeting new people at the parks and trails and finding riding buddies. I may just have to sell one and pickup a used stuntjumper or something, reset the clocks back a bit.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Yep. Grew up in Michigan and left. My folks still live up there though. Recently canceled a week visit in a cabin around Kent lake, on state land, becuase they wouldn't let two 50 year olds ride ebikes anywhere near their sacred trails. Cant cure it.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Michigan. Only allow ebikes on ORV trails which are mainly for motorcross and ATV's. Pretty dangerous for a slow emtb

The state feels very anti emtb overall. I see a lot of snobby comments from local bike groups and fb pages etc.
What part of Michigan you in? My cousin's are up by Tawas Bay area and recently purchased two Hiabikes. I know that they are working trails that they made and maintain for 20 years. I rode with them a few weeks ago covering almost 16 miles on a loop.

Also, in the late 90s I raced hare scrambles in district 14. There was truly spectacular single track all over the northern part of the state. These trails were never crowded, and an emtb rider would have little troubles avoiding the motorcyclist. I dont know if it's still there but Evart had a 17 miles loop that might be interesting.

RobertR

Jun 11, 2020
Usa
If you have “any” handicap you can ride any MTB trial on your eMTB.
It’s not like someone can stop and ask for verification of handicap status.
Granted I keep my motor off at Trialheads and when passing people.

I also offer anyone to ride my YT Decoy.
Ride anywhere you want. It’s a pedal bike.

jimslade

Jun 14, 2019
south lake tahoe, ca
Switch to an SL and just go ride. Similar situation here in CA. Anti-eMTBs have even posted signs on all the trailheads to keep our devil rides off. :)
I do tend to ride early before the crowds and I avoid the busiest trails, because I like quiet trails to myself. But I’ve yet to have a problem over a very busy summer of riding

Captain45

Oct 1, 2019
Usa
Switch to an SL and just go ride. Similar situation here in CA. Anti-eMTBs have even posted signs on all the trailheads to keep our devil rides off. :)
I do tend to ride early before the crowds and I avoid the busiest trails, because I like quiet trails to myself. But I’ve yet to have a problem over a very busy summer of riding

Really? I thought CA was fairly EMTB friendly? Few times I rode out in San Diego area it seemed fine, but I didnt spend a ton of time there to indulge in the whole community.

Im spending the winter down in Florida so I think I'll be good with my Levo for a few months there but I did put in an order for an Orbea Rise m10. Hopefully it will be ready by Michigan spring time. I think I shouldnt have much issues, it looks about as analog as it can get.

On a seperate note, I was out a few days ago at a fairly popular local trail. Took a breather at a common rest spot (im finally able to ride mostly eco/trail now). There was a group of riders resting as well, judgingly gazing at my Levo. I gave them a friendly hello and they just looked away from me without saying anything. :rolleyes: I really wanted to say "you try taking a round through the back of your hamstring and out your quad just above the knee while serving overseas and try biking again" but I just let it be.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles