Orbea rise 2021 cracked frame.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
the chain stay on my friends orbea rise 2021 broke today when he was out cycling. He's had the bike for about 1 month and have ride it only on trails so no dh or enduro.

orbea has a lifetime warranty on their frames, but they could deny the warranty and then claim that he himself has caused the damage.
so what do you think? will orbea receive the guarantee
IMG_4299.jpg

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
A little worrying the day before I collect my long awaited new steed. Only way to find out is ask.

If the bike has been used as you suggest, it should be backed up by the condition of other parts of the bike

IRideBikes

May 9, 2020
Preston
if its been ridden as youve said he wont have an issue, theyll likely ask it to be taken to a dealer for insection though, besides, after one month, you could probably claim some sort of consumer rights on it not been fit for purpose if they denied? but i doubt they will, my friend who works with orbea who got me my bike assured me theyre good with their warranty process so im sure he will be ok :)

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
A little worrying the day before I collect my long awaited new steed. Only way to find out is ask.

If the bike has been used as you suggest, it should be backed up by the condition of other parts of the bike

Hope you not gonna have any problem with your new bike.

Yea it shouldnt be any problem with warranty

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
if its been ridden as youve said he wont have an issue, theyll likely ask it to be taken to a dealer for insection though, besides, after one month, you could probably claim some sort of consumer rights on it not been fit for purpose if they denied? but i doubt they will, my friend who works with orbea who got me my bike assured me theyre good with their warranty process so im sure he will be ok :)

He bought it from a store online and get it sent to him , but maybe he need to pack the bike and sent it back for inspektion.

Yea i have only heard good things about orbeas warranty but you never now :)

Endurip

Jan 9, 2021
Sweden
So I contacted the dealer today regarding the broken axle and they should take care of the communications with Orbea for me. When I said I would rather not ship the bike to the online store where I purchased it they said that they will sen a new rear axle. But I wrote a mail to them with a frame number an picture of the break, and I said that I won’t be able to change to a new rear axle by myself - especially for warranty reasons. I hope I can take I to a local dealer who can make the swap.

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
the chain stay on my friends orbea rise 2021 broke today when he was out cycling. He's had the bike for about 1 month and have ride it only on trails so no dh or enduro.

orbea has a lifetime warranty on their frames, but they could deny the warranty and then claim that he himself has caused the damage.
so what do you think? will orbea receive the guarantee
View attachment 73159
Have you, or your "friend" actually asked the question of Orebea?

EchoLima21

Jan 8, 2021
Surrey, Uk
He needs to read the warranty.
Quote: “To process any claim in relation to this warranty, the user must proceed to the point of sale where he/she purchased the product, so that the dealer can process this warranty. If it is not possible to visit that dealer or if visiting same would result overly burdensome for you, the user, you may go to the official ORBEA dealer closest to your home to process the claim or contact ORBEA directly.”
So, if going to his original vendor is a pain then dropping it off at the nearest one is just as good.

MadManPedal

Nov 13, 2020
philippines
The frame and motor as a whole went through tests before production. There is a reason Specialized didn't shove a stronger motor. Maybe because its frame also failed during the test.

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
I have yet to see a brand whose bicycles didn't crack at that spot, cracking next to brake mount is common enough among four-bar chainstays, to a point that some brands routinely switch between carbon and alloy stays within same year model (like Canyon Strive & Spectral) when that starts to happen too often.
It's also why some brands advice against larger discs in rear (200/220) for their trail models.

Though I find it interesting this is still a place where manufacturers try to save some weight, but I would absolutely not accuse Orbea of poor frame QC. And to be honest, our LevoSL has also pretty subtle chainstay, at least, visually slightly unnerving me.

Endurip

Jan 9, 2021
Sweden
I contacted the retailer and they will handle the communication with Orbea for me. The retailer said that due to the long distance I have to their store, they will send me a new rear triangle.
Then I realised that I want a mechanic to make the swap, so we’ll see how it will be solved.

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
I have yet to see a brand whose bicycles didn't crack at that spot, cracking next to brake mount is common enough among four-bar chainstays, to a point that some brands routinely switch between carbon and alloy stays within same year model (like Canyon Strive & Spectral) when that starts to happen too often.
It's also why some brands advice against larger discs in rear (200/220) for their trail models.

Though I find it interesting this is still a place where manufacturers try to save some weight, but I would absolutely not accuse Orbea of poor frame QC. And to be honest, our LevoSL has also pretty subtle chainstay, at least, visually slightly unnerving me.
This is an interesting point. I even own an old 853 steel hardtail XC MTB which has a strengthening bar at this point of the frame. That bike has a small 160mm rotor. Seems like in all the CRP excitement some of the old truths have been forgotten.
I'm glad my EMBT is alloy. It was something I thought about at the time of purchase. There's not the weight penalty when you have assistance. I know alloy can snap too, but surely it is much less common event?

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
I know alloy can snap too, but surely it is much less common event?

I don't think it's that clear-cut :- ). I think when it comes to stays, Alloy probably do snap less, but manufacturers may use them on otherwise carbon bikes rather for cheaper and easier warranty work.
With Canyon (Most of my bikes were Canyon and YT so I know most about these), it was pure-carbon Strive 2016-2017 which had cracking carbon seat-stays, but then in 2018 it was again alloy stays of Spectral that was cracking a lot for full first year. Strive was probably design issue as it was never fixed but wasn't too common (my survived everything and I'm heavy, but not heavy rear braker heh!) but they fixed the alloy stays of Spectral where it was claimed to be QC (adding more material to alloy is much easier than redesigning molds needed for composite).

Ultimately, there are even some cracked Transition bikes, and those used to be damn heavy in both alloy and carbon versions so maybe adding material isn't such a solution either. Now their latest super-enduro Spire is quite light-weight though.

I think all frames crack at least within the industry 2perc. margin, it's expected. We just hear more about the more affordable bikes because they are more common, and because they are mostly internet brands, people come to complain to forums first instead of (non-existing dealer), and it can heavily skew the perception.

MadManPedal

Nov 13, 2020
philippines
Give me such a frame, and I will crack it for you.
Everything can break.....even a Specialized motor.
No doubt you will. Anything cracks dropped from 3rd floor. Orbea tried to stand out over Specialized. To do that in a short amount of time, like within a year, no capacity for tests. The buyers do.

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
The positive I see is that it’s the rear triangle vs the front. Much cheaper and easier to swap out, so hopefully Orbea takes care of you.

b45her

Dec 1, 2019
wales
No doubt you will. Anything cracks dropped from 3rd floor. Orbea tried to stand out over Specialized. To do that in a short amount of time, like within a year, no capacity for tests. The buyers do.
its was in development for 3 years, you specialized fan boys really are hard core.
getting back to the original post, orbea are very good with warranty claims when they are legitimate, but be aware they WILL know if the failure is caused by crash damage/impact they have facilities for NDT analysis of the part.I know from trying to warranty a broken chainstay which happened to a customer in a crash at an enduro race. customer was fine with buying a new one but i tried to warranty it never the less.A week after sending the chainstay we received an email with full details of the testing even going as far as suggesting almost exactly the type of impact that caused the breakage. fortunately the owner of the bike was an engineer in the military and was familiar with the methods they used and was happy to pay the 150 euros for a new carbon chainstay.

If the break was a genuine failure they will sort it out 100% if its crash damage they will offer a crash replacement at a nominal cost.

Endurip

Jan 9, 2021
Sweden
its was in development for 3 years, you specialized fan boys really are hard core.
getting back to the original post, orbea are very good with warranty claims when they are legitimate, but be aware they WILL know if the failure is caused by crash damage/impact they have facilities for NDT analysis of the part.I know from trying to warranty a broken chainstay which happened to a customer in a crash at an enduro race. customer was fine with buying a new one but i tried to warranty it never the less.A week after sending the chainstay we received an email with full details of the testing even going as far as suggesting almost exactly the type of impact that caused the breakage. fortunately the owner of the bike was an engineer in the military and was familiar with the methods they used and was happy to pay the 150 euros for a new carbon chainstay.

If the break was a genuine failure they will sort it out 100% if its crash damage they will offer a crash replacement at a nominal cost.

If what you say is true, then Orbea will honour the warranty, but as for now, they won’t approve the warranty despite the pictures I sent them clearly show that the crack comes from inside the carbon and no force has come from outside. So I have to remove the back triangle and sent it to my dealer, who then send it to Orbea for further inspection.

So soon we know if Orbea is a serious company who takes responsibility for their products failure, or try to cheat the customer. I know how carefully I have been riding the 8 weeks I’ve had the Rise, and haven’t crashed a single time. It’s pretty obvious that it must be a production failure if some kind.

b45her

Dec 1, 2019
wales
If what you say is true, then Orbea will honour the warranty, but as for now, they won’t approve the warranty despite the pictures I sent them clearly show that the crack comes from inside the carbon and no force has come from outside. So I have to remove the back triangle and sent it to my dealer, who then send it to Orbea for further inspection.

So soon we know if Orbea is a serious company who takes responsibility for their products failure, or try to cheat the customer. I know how carefully I have been riding the 8 weeks I’ve had the Rise, and haven’t crashed a single time. It’s pretty obvious that it must be a production failure if some kind.
How on earth can you claim a picture " clearly shows its from the inside out" I always find it suspect when someone immediately goes to the internet for support rather than just getting it sorted at the dealer. if its legit it will be sorted if its crasg damage you will be offered a crash replacement, simple .
no amount of whining will change the outcome.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
How on earth can you claim a picture " clearly shows its from the inside out" I always find it suspect when someone immediately goes to the internet for support rather than just getting it sorted at the dealer. if its legit it will be sorted if its crasg damage you will be offered a crash replacement, simple .

I have to step into the discussion here because it was I who started the thread and not Endurip.

I do not think it is strange to write a thread on a forum and ask for tips and advice from other people and maybe check if anyone else has been the same problem.

so it's not about creating a thread and just complaining as you seem to believe. and you still have to understand the disappointment when you buy a bike for 3780 GBP and it breaks after 8 weeks,

Endurip

Jan 9, 2021
Sweden
Simple, if there would be outside force, it would show. At least the people I’ve spoken to said it’s clear that the carbon broke from within. And since I know what happened I’m pretty annoyed being questioned by a company that on paper have good warranty. My dealer said that most brand would only need pictures for such obvious warranty claims. And as long as someone accuse me of not being truthful, I have my full rights to whine.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
I do not think it is strange to write a thread on a forum and ask for tips and advice from other people and maybe check if anyone else has been the same problem.

Not at all. Neither do I see anything in your posts that is out of order.

However I find Endurips posts to be a little entitled. To expect a manufacturer to send out a warranty triangle on the basis of some photos and the owners own feelings is not how it works. Not unless you have an exceptionally nice vendor who replaces the part purely as a gesture of goodwill and to get the owner off their backs.

To have the faulty part returned for testing is 'normal'. Yes I would be pissed too, but it is what it is. I wouldn't take it as Orbea suggesting that Endurip wasn't being truthful, but I would appreciate and understand that there are (unfortunately) processes to follow.

b45her

Dec 1, 2019
wales
what your
Simple, if there would be outside force, it would show. At least the people I’ve spoken to said it’s clear that the carbon broke from within. And since I know what happened I’m pretty annoyed being questioned by a company that on paper have good warranty. My dealer said that most brand would only need pictures for such obvious warranty claims. And as long as someone accuse me of not being truthful, I have my full rights to whine.
Unless you dealer has an FEA machine to hand they will no idea what caused the failure. like i have said if its a manufacturing defect you have nothing to worry about if it was impact orbea WILL know.

Endurip

Jan 9, 2021
Sweden
Unless you dealer has an FEA machine to hand they will no idea what caused the failure. like i have said if its a manufacturing defect you have nothing to worry about if it was impact orbea WILL know.
Just hope you’re right!

Staff member
Subscriber
Jul 15, 2020
FORUM
This is obviously a potentially frustrating situation for anyone involved and everyone will have different views and opinions on the subject, probable causes or responses they'd expect from Orbea/Dealers - which they're entitled to share and discuss in the thread.

However, in the interest of world peace, Madmanpedal has been locked out of the thread for 14 days for Trolling.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles