Orbea H Rise

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
Just a word to the wise if you bought a H series Rise like I did for my wife. You probably already heard if you leave it on the charger past when it hits full it will start discharging the battery until 80%. I personally think this sucks ,but the issue is my wife's and all the H come with the stupid display that does not tell you battery % only the 6 or so bars. Well the bike can be at 81% and it will still show full bars. I tested this today. So now my wife just inhareted my Garmin 530. She was running a 130 and I could not get it to see the bike, I would go to add sensor and it would not do it. So now with the 530 it shows battery %. Better safe than sorry. In case you are interested it also saw the shimano steps on its own and that also works, but it is better without it as it shows the % not the dumb bars....

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
It's a feature of lithium batteries to discharge after reaching 100% if not used. I just made a post about it on another thread.

neilo

Jan 25, 2022
Australia
It's a feature of lithium batteries to discharge after reaching 100% if not used. I just made a post about it on another thread.
But it's a feature that only seems to affect the Orbea Rise H series, if these forums are to be believed? It certainly doesn't happen on my M10, or my wife's Spesh. No noticeable drop in charge whether charger is left connected or not.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I think the op is talking about a totally different time frame. Oh, geez, I found your other post; quite a theory based on very little tolerance if correct. So as soon as the battery is charged, it starts discharging by design if you don't remove the charger right at the time the charging has finished? That sounds like a fault. For example, orbea has replaced chargers to people who have had this problem, supposedly it didn't help though. Also note that the chargers and batteries are orbea's own - not shimano. Lastly, and most obvious, you'd think that orbea would describe this process in the owner's manual if it was by design. It really doesn't make sense, given the time frame. My shimano battery and charger do not do this.

Last edited:

TKB

Apr 28, 2022
Norway
I have to react to this as well.

This is just not true. A Li-ion battery has very little self discharge. It can stay at 100% for a long time. However, that is not healthy for the battery. These batteries should be long-term stored at around 50% SOC.

What happens here with the H Rise batteries, is due to how their BMS (battery management system) has been programmed.

Last edited:

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
My H15 Does not do it, which I did mention in the other thread, and connected easy to my Garmin 1030. I spoke directly to Orbea and was told the only smart function of their charger is volt selection which changes based on whether you're charging the internal battery or Rise H extender.

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
I have to react to this as well.

This is just not true. A Li-ion battery has very little self discharge. It can stay at 100% for a long time. However, that is not healthy for the battery. These batteries should be long-term stored at around 50% SOC.

What happens here with the H Rise batteries, is due to how their BMS (battery management system) has been programmed.

I have no knowledge at all other than what I read online and read about lithium based discharge at the link below.

TKB

Apr 28, 2022
Norway
I work with electric transport and the experience is that well designed Li-ion battery loose less than 5% over a month, at room temperature.

benzy

Dec 1, 2021
California
It's definitely a bug to discharge within hours of topping off. A $10 grounded plug timer solves the issue - 1 hour per bar needed + 1 hour = full charge every time.

I would have bought the plug timer anyway since the charger's LED is always-on when plugged in, and I dont want a charger constantly topping off the battery if end up garaging the bike with the charger connected for a week.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles