Opportunity for a Rise M20 now or H30 in feb.

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
I have a good opportunity to get a Rise M20 for £5039 , but not sure on the battery being a big guy at 250lbs with kit.

with either bike i will be parting it out and putting my own already owned parts on its , 160 lyrik ultimate with 2021 air chamber , XO1 XXS or XO1 Cable , XX1 Cassette , MT7 brakes (new and need to drop motor) i have a Rock shox super deluxe ultimate air but it was for my Levo SL (now missis Bike) which is also brand new but needs the lower shock eye hardware . I can either put in a Fox Factory 150 dropper or one up 150 . carbon bars , carbon wheels (Roval traverse SL with 240s hubs 54T)

I know its only about £450 difference for the carbon M20 over the H30 but battery anxiety and now carbon anxiety is now an issue with me .. Love carbon and looks nice but now the Hydro looks nice and smooth without the dreaded weld at the front .

its the Bigger battery on the Hydro thats got me thinking of getting the Alloy .

Im 177cm with short 30 inside leg and thought medium would be ok but seems the large may just be spot on as i do like a longer reach. i have a large Levo SL but with slammed seat post i can just touch the floor but also seen the Rise has a lower stand over and there is only a 2mm difference in seat tube length on the rise .

i usually ride about 22 miles on my own (2 laps of trails) or 1 when with missis .

I run the orbea Rise owners group on facebook (1.1k members) but they are all bias on there saying carbon carbon carbon M20 all the way . so thought i would ask here.

anybody ridden both , its not all about the carbon as £450 as its all about the payment structure too (see below)
factors

battery and Carbon Anxiety
M20 is cash only
H30 is 48 months 0%

EDIT: Bought the M10 for an Amazing price .. see below .

Last edited:

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
How long are your average rides? So if you had an SL before then your used to low power, I have an M20 & love it, have changed most things, already had them all, am over 200lb kitted up & never worried about range, think it’s better than my old Vitus esommet with the E7000 & 504 battery

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
How long are your average rides? So if you had an SL before then your used to low power, I have an M20 & love it, have changed most things, already had them all, am over 200lb kitted up & never worried about range, think it’s better than my old Vitus esommet with the E7000 & 504 battery
Ive still got the SL , now the missis bike . i would get about 30 miles out of that if i kept it in eco/trail , 15 miles on full power doing around 1400ft climbing. Got weight at around 17,2kg ..would be happy getting M20 at about 18kg with the parts i have .

I had a focus Jam2 until i sold it (due to being to small on reach) that was around 21kg being carbon and had the E8000 motor with 70nm , loved the natural feeling of the motor and if the EP8 everything i heard its going to be even better feeling natural with only 10nm less. its just the buying the M20 online with all that cash .lol

Phoenix

Dec 29, 2021
Devon
Looking at the bikes you already own, they all scream 'carbon', top of the range light bikes. For me the choice of carbon is about weight, and therefore is see the bigger battery and alloy on the H30 as a drawback as its extra weight. The range anxiety can obviously be solved with an extender if it becomes an issue.

What I'm really hearing is cash flow anxiety, not carbon anxiety ;) - I think that's a decision only you can make.
That aside, if you go for the H30, I'm also guessing you might have future regrets about not going for the lighter bike.

Tough call if its a pinch, but personally I prefer to live without debt wherever possible

Good luck!

One thing - is the M20 new, with warranty? If not, that would defo make me hesitate

Gismo6303

Sep 4, 2021
France
I've the m10, i weight around 90kg (180 pound I think) and with turbo all time I can do 10km 400m d+ ( 6.5miles and 1350ft climb I think). Only technical climb, no flat no downhill, with 50%-60% battery on profil 2.

My reference tour is about 17km, 300m d+ and I do this with 50% battery in turbo ( but don't remember the profil). (10.5 miles and 984ft climb) mix of flat down up, single tech and fire road.

And I've already made 4 trail with 20km and 500m d+ with no assist, it pedal very well

I can share my garmin profil if you want to see. Some of the records have battery usage and ebike assist lvl

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
Looking at the bikes you already own, they all scream 'carbon', top of the range light bikes. For me the choice of carbon is about weight, and therefore is see the bigger battery and alloy on the H30 as a drawback as its extra weight. The range anxiety can obviously be solved with an extender if it becomes an issue.

What I'm really hearing is cash flow anxiety, not carbon anxiety ;) - I think that's a decision only you can make.
That aside, if you go for the H30, I'm also guessing you might have future regrets about not going for the lighter bike.

Tough call if its a pinch, but personally I prefer to live without debt wherever possible

Good luck!

One thing - is the M20 new, with warranty? If not, that would defo make me hesitate

Lol ...not at all about cash flow . and its brand new from a UK online store , i just get 10% off thats all .

like you said all my bikes are carbon as i have a custom Creo SL Expert too .

But anyway .. im going for the M10 for £6300 and with the £700 savings i will get the range extender . dont want to pay such a large sum and another rise comes out with 2022 stamped on it . i will just sell the parts i already have and leave the M10 as it is except putting carbon wheels on it with better tyres and fox fact transfer .

I just need to figure what size now.

Gismo6303

Sep 4, 2021
France
Mine is M, I'm 1m78 tall, short legs (I like to use 150-155mm cranks). I used to ride small reach, on time I had a L size( haibike fullseven lt7.0) and it was too long, I've wrist, hand and hand feet pnai and numb. I haven't try the L size for the rise, but I'm very happy with the M size. Very nimble

Phoenix

Dec 29, 2021
Devon
Happy to be wrong on cashflow - good problem not to have ;)

Had a similar feeling about 2021/2022 when I bought a 2021 earlier in the week - only committed after being comfortable that the 2022 carbons are insignificantly different, so made the same deal as you and bought a 2021 M-Ltd with 10% discount and bought a range extender + better tyres. The M-Team was not discounted, so carbon wheels at a lower price was an easy choice for my level.

Enjoy!

I'm 1.80 with long limbs, went for the large, will find out next week if it was the right call ...

Last edited:

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands

Had a similar feeling about 2021/2022 when I bought a 2021 earlier in the week - only committed after being comfortable that the 2022 carbons are insignificantly different, so made the same deal as you and bought a 2021 M-Ltd with 10% discount and bought a range extender + better tyres. The M-Team was not discounted, so carbon wheels at a lower price was an easy choice for my level.

Enjoy!

I'm 1.80 with long limbs, went for the large, will find out next week if it was the right call ...
To tell you the truth mate , missis has already blagged the SL off me , if she has a go on my carbon rise then its going to be that she will want it off me and she will throw the SL back at me lol ..but if i bought the heavier Hydro she wouldnt be interested lol .

yea i can get 10% off all 4 of the M rise .. the shop im buying from dont do the Hydro.

Phoenix

Dec 29, 2021
Devon
To tell you the truth mate , missis has already blagged the SL off me , if she has a go on my carbon rise then its going to be that she will want it off me and she will throw the SL back at me lol ..but if i bought the heavier Hydro she wouldnt be interested lol .

yea i can get 10% off all 4 of the M rise .. the shop im buying from dont do the Hydro.

:ROFLMAO: That adds a whole new dimension to the issue! I got nothing ...:unsure:
But thanks for confirming again that I made the right choice on the bike!

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands

Enjoy!

4D91E8CB-737D-4790-8163-C0EBA4DCB3B2.jpeg

paske

Apr 2, 2021
Belgium
I have a good opportunity to get a Rise M20 for £5039 , but not sure on the battery being a big guy at 250lbs with kit.

with either bike i will be parting it out and putting my own already owned parts on its , 160 lyrik ultimate with 2021 air chamber , XO1 XXS or XO1 Cable , XX1 Cassette , MT7 brakes (new and need to drop motor) i have a Rock shox super deluxe ultimate air but it was for my Levo SL (now missis Bike) which is also brand new but needs the lower shock eye hardware . I can either put in a Fox Factory 150 dropper or one up 150 . carbon bars , carbon wheels (Roval traverse SL with 240s hubs 54T)

I know its only about £450 difference for the carbon M20 over the H30 but battery anxiety and now carbon anxiety is now an issue with me .. Love carbon and looks nice but now the Hydro looks nice and smooth without the dreaded weld at the front .

its the Bigger battery on the Hydro thats got me thinking of getting the Alloy .

Im 177cm with short 30 inside leg and thought medium would be ok but seems the large may just be spot on as i do like a longer reach. i have a large Levo SL but with slammed seat post i can just touch the floor but also seen the Rise has a lower stand over and there is only a 2mm difference in seat tube length on the rise .

i usually ride about 22 miles on my own (2 laps of trails) or 1 when with missis .

I run the orbea Rise owners group on facebook (1.1k members) but they are all bias on there saying carbon carbon carbon M20 all the way . so thought i would ask here.

anybody ridden both , its not all about the carbon as £450 as its all about the payment structure too (see below)
factors

M20 is cash only
H30 is 48 months 0%

Just to warn you about the size you choose. I have an M20 Large.
I'm 178cm with 32 inside leg and I had to put the seatpost almost all the way down to be comfortable...

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I am 181cm with 31” inseam & ride a large with 170mm dropper wouldn’t want any smaller is perfect fit

gsum

Jul 31, 2021
Lake District
I'm a big lad too. Through Autumn typical rides have been around 15 to 20 miles on Lake District bridleways with around 1500 ft of ascent i.e. steep and rough. I haven't been near to running out of power and generally find that I have at least 30% left even when I'm lazy and spend the day in boost mode. On a road run of 30 miles with 3600 ft of ascent I used 45% of battery with extender, so didn't really need the extender.

Nebo1ss

Dec 21, 2021
London
Lol ...not at all about cash flow . and its brand new from a UK online store , i just get 10% off thats all .

like you said all my bikes are carbon as i have a custom Creo SL Expert too .

But anyway .. im going for the M10 for £6300 and with the £700 savings i will get the range extender . dont want to pay such a large sum and another rise comes out with 2022 stamped on it . i will just sell the parts i already have and leave the M10 as it is except putting carbon wheels on it with better tyres and fox fact transfer .

I just need to figure what size now.
A bird in the hand is always better than what's is in the bush. My experience of waiting for an Orbea bike after being given a delivery date is not good. In my case the date kept slipping again and again. I would grab the M20.

NorthernBloke

Sep 17, 2021
Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire

factors

M20 is cash only
H30 is 48 months 0%

I am similiar height and size (180m) and I ride a large. My 29in legs easily reach the floor.

I have the carbon team, regularly get 40k+ and 1000m before the blinking red light of doom. Mainly trail and eco with some turbo for the steeper stuff.

It handles my weight easily but I am not pushing my bike and forks to the limits

The aluminium with the bigger battery is heavier and is pushing it towards the traditional emtb but if you're not bothered by weight then I might have opted for the bigger battery too.

For me though I wanted a light as possible bike to match the riding experience of the non emtb. A 20kg bike with no battery left at the end of the ride when knackered is still a heavy bike to be pedalling.

Phoenix

Dec 29, 2021
Devon
Just came across a really interesting video on sizing :

From this page : Dynamic MTB Fit – Lee Likes Bikes

Interestingly, the RAD measurement (bottom bracket to the tips of bars, on centreline - ie. put sthg straight across from tip to tip on bars,and measure from centre of that to the bottom bracket ) on my Levo HT large is spot on as is their suggestion that ideal reach in mm = Height in cm * 2.5
However, based solely on listed reach numbers, it would put me at a medium on the Rise ...
Would one of you guys with a large rise mind measuring the RAD distance if you can make sense of it?

It that sounds like gobbledygook, watch the vid a couple of times and it should make sense (took me about 4 to get it!)

Gonna list this as a new thread to get some other opinions on the concept, and hopefully the measurement in time to change size if its going to be way off

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
A bird in the hand is always better than what's is in the bush. My experience of waiting for an Orbea bike after being given a delivery date is not good. In my case the date kept slipping again and again. I would grab the M20.
Going M10 now i think, for £6300 and £700 savings will get a range extender . only thing i will then change is the seat post to my fox factory 2021 with wolftooth lever . and put on my carbon Roval 30mm wheels , should knock about 400g off lol.

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
I am similiar height and size (180m) and I ride a large. My 29in legs easily reach the floor.

I have the carbon team, regularly get 40k+ and 1000m before the blinking red light of doom. Mainly trail and eco with some turbo for the steeper stuff.

It handles my weight easily but I am not pushing my bike and forks to the limits

The aluminium with the bigger battery is heavier and is pushing it towards the traditional emtb but if you're not bothered by weight then I might have opted for the bigger battery too.

For me though I wanted a light as possible bike to match the riding experience of the non emtb. A 20kg bike with no battery left at the end of the ride when knackered is still a heavy bike to be pedalling.

haha cool man .. i had a Kenevo (tank) 2019 in medium at 26kg and when the battery ran out on that (first ever ride) and then having to pedal back 6 miles with about 900ft of climbing , the climbing felt like it was 15,000 ft ( felt 3 times the pain of Alpe de Zwift on Zwift in lowest gear) , my legs after never ever forgave me as i tore lots and lots of fibers ,and being an ex power lifter my thighs (muscle group wasnt small) . Re-Regarding my opening post with the Battery Anxiety.

Gismo6303

Sep 4, 2021
France
haha cool man .. i had a Kenevo (tank) 2019 in medium at 26kg and when the battery ran out on that (first ever ride) and then having to pedal back 6 miles with about 900ft of climbing , the climbing felt like it was 15,000 ft ( felt 3 times the pain of Alpe de Zwift on Zwift in lowest gear) , my legs after never ever forgave me as i tore lots and lots of fibers ,and being an ex power lifter my thighs (muscle group wasnt small) . Re-Regarding my opening post with the Battery Anxiety.

Don't worry, the rise is easy to pedal without battery , like an enduro bike

Roc

Oct 13, 2021
Belgium
I have the equivalent question in another post concerning the M20 used or H15 new...
I think that given that my ranges are about 40km (25 miles) the battery of a Rise M20 (360 Wh) is enough and I want to keep the low weight and agility and enough power (only 60NM) of the Rise, the best choice is the M20.
I'm 175cm and I think the M is the best size for me. (I tried the M20 in L but a little bit Large)

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
WOW WOW WOW WOW ...

I just got an amazing deal at the same place i was going to buy the M10 in Blue/gold for , but the White/Green was even cheaper with a discount code . it was already discounted to £6299 then 10% off code .

Orbea Rise M10 L , £5669.10

to be fair i do not like the colour of the green but money is money , and you don't look at the mantelpiece while poking the fire .

Last edited:

Phoenix

Dec 29, 2021
Devon
WOW WOW WOW WOW ...

I just got an amazing deal at the same place i was going to buy the M10 in Blue/gold for , but the White/Green was even cheaper with a discount code . it was already discounted to £6299 then 10% off code .

Orbea Rise M10 L , £5669.10

to be fair i do not like the colour of the green but money is money , and you don't look at the mantelpiece while poking the fire .
The real question here is 'will the missus like the colour ?' Gotta factor that into the decision ...

Allamuchy_Joe

Dec 18, 2021
USA
I am your size and have the M10. The battery is more than adequate for 20 mile rides on technical terrain for me. That said, if I had the choice of the carbon and new aluminum models now, I would probably opt for the aluminum. IMO, the larger battery alone is worth it.
For folks our size, I would highly recommend the Fox36 fork on any model you buy.

Edit: I see you bought the M10 -- you will love it! Congratulations!

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
I am your size and have the M10. The battery is more than adequate for 20 mile rides on technical terrain for me. That said, if I had the choice of the carbon and new aluminum models now, I would probably opt for the aluminum. IMO, the larger battery alone is worth it.
For folks our size, I would highly recommend the Fox36 fork on any model you buy.

Edit: I see you bought the M10 -- you will love it! Congratulations!
yes bud .. bought the M10 . cant wait .

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
Perfect! That solves the 'other ' issue then - you get to keep it!
Enjoy :)

oh yes .. shes not having this .. she likes her SL and happy with it .. im giving her one of my 2 sets of lyriks so shes happy shes got better suspension instead of the 34s .

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
I weight 270lbs and ride a m20, I get the 22miles east if I keep it in trail and mainly eco. However you will be happy with either. I have a extender on order for when I feel I will go over a 20 mile ride with hills. That would put it at the weight of the Aluminum one, but 95% of my rides I do not need it so I like the lighter bike, and I know I could loose weight, but even that really is not the same when you have to lift the bike or push it over obstacles the weight is a big deal. the H weill still be lighter than the full fat bikes but sort of in between the M and a full fat....

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles