Opinion on Orbea changing cranks for cheaper than spec

NorthernBloke

Sep 17, 2021
Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire
I've just had an email from Orbea saying they want to replace my original carbon cranks with the Shimano FC-EM900 ones + £100 voucher (on their store).

So, in effect, it sounds like a general recall now ...

This is what they say:

Our suppliers, e*thirteen and Shimano, have informed us that they have identified a possible incompatibility issue between the e*thirteen Race Carbon cranks and the Shimano EP8 RS motor shaft that your bike is equipped with. This incompatibility can cause damage to the motor shaft, causing it to completely break in the worst-case scenario.

Given the uncertainty of when e*thirteen will be able to supply a crank that’s 100% compatible with this motor, we are contacting you about delivering a new set of top-of-the-range Shimano FC-EM900 cranks, the best available cranks on the market for this motor model. We want to ensure you have a reliable, high-quality product as soon as possible so that you can continue to enjoy your bike.

To obtain your cranks, we ask that you visit your official Orbea dealer and show them this email. Your dealer will take care of processing the request to Orbea and installing the new cranks on your Rise.​

We understand the inconvenience this causes you, and to show our gratitude for your patience, please enjoy this 100GBP store discount to spend on orbea.com.
don't have an email address at all?

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
don't have an email address at all?

It came from Orbea <[email protected]>

There is a support link at the bottom of the email which goes here: Support — Orbea

And that gives these contact details you could try (in the UK):
E-MAIL: [email protected]
UK TEL : +34 900 67 00 18

I already contacted the shop I bought it from last January (MTB Monster), and they already contacted Orbea & had a reply - saying I can take my bike to any local Orbea dealer who should be happy to arrange the swap.

It sounds like they are reluctant to send out cranks, and would want the swap performed at one of their dealers to ensure it is up to warranty etc. It may also be that if you are offered the swap and don't accept it (i.e. stick with the carbon cranks) and then the motor gets screwed up, then it will cost you. I was thinking of sticking with the carbon ones as they have been fine for me so far, and have the EM900 cranks as spares, but now I think it's best to do the swap :)

NorthernBloke

Sep 17, 2021
It came from Orbea <[email protected]>

There is a support link at the bottom of the email which goes here: Support — Orbea

And that gives these contact details you could try (in the UK):
E-MAIL: [email protected]
UK TEL : +34 900 67 00 18

I already contacted the shop I bought it from last January (MTB Monster), and they already contacted Orbea & had a reply - saying I can take my bike to any local Orbea dealer who should be happy to arrange the swap.

It sounds like they are reluctant to send out cranks, and would want the swap performed at one of their dealers to ensure it is up to warranty etc. It may also be that if you are offered the swap and don't accept it (i.e. stick with the carbon cranks) and then the motor gets screwed up, then it will cost you. I was thinking of sticking with the carbon ones as they have been fine for me so far, and have the EM900 cranks as spares, but now I think it's best to do the swap :)
Cheers, I received my Rise with alloy e13 and a letter stating they would replace with carbon at my local dealer when available, eight months ago!!!! The problems with e13 cranks both carbon and alumin, have been well documented on this forum.

Ducman71

Apr 8, 2021
Orange County, CA
Aftermarket titanium caps and bolts (from Amazon both) with Loctite on, 4nm and 14Nm torque respectively on my e13 alloys.
Still waiting for my original spec carbon ones to come or something equivalent from Orbea.
As you've probably seen, the carbon cranks are never coming, and the Shimano alloys are the replacement. Seems they've been rolling out the news sequentially to different markets; emails to US customers went out a few months ago. On the upside for those of you in the UK, since Orbea likes round numbers, the 100GBP web purchase credit you are getting is a bit more generous than the 100USD for US customers.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Cheers, I received my Rise with alloy e13 and a letter stating they would replace with carbon at my local dealer when available, eight months ago!!!! The problems with e13 cranks both carbon and alumin, have been well documented on this forum.

Yep, definitely chase them up :) They must have missed you somehow!

Bsqr

May 23, 2020
Bend, OR
I'm in the same boat; only it's been 2-1/2 months, not eight. I just sent a general inquiry to Orbea asking for an update. It will be interesting to see what they say.

NorthernBloke

Sep 17, 2021
I'm in the same boat; only it's been 2-1/2 months, not eight. I just sent a general inquiry to Orbea asking for an update. It will be interesting to see what they say.
Orbea got back to me, used email so thanks for that Mark

They made out it was up to me to contact the dealer to initiate a warranty claim. Not what the letter says, so if you haven't sent an email do so.
No offer of £100 though.
I don't think they have got a clue tbh.

Bsqr

May 23, 2020
Bend, OR
Orbea got back to me, used email so thanks for that Mark

They made out it was up to me to contact the dealer to initiate a warranty claim. Not what the letter says, so if you haven't sent an email do so.
No offer of £100 though.
I don't think they have got a clue tbh.
Yep, I just got a similar response from Orbea. I have now filled out all the forms with my dealer 😕. We will see where it goes from here.

bbred

Aug 15, 2018
Derbyshire
Yep, I just got a similar response from Orbea. I have now filled out all the forms with my dealer 😕. We will see where it goes from here.
I would advise anyone with an Orbea Rise that has alloy or carbon cranks to remove and inspect the spindle for cracks. I had e13 alloy cranks and there was a small crack on the non drive side spindle. The cranks were spot on for torque settings and showed no problem in use. The dealer (UK based) who supplied the bike contacted shimano and a new motor with shimano alloy cranks were fitted. Best to check whilst bikes are in warranty and shimano appears ready to address the problem

BobR

Apr 14, 2021
Florida
I completed the replacement w/Shimano cranks on my wife’s M Team a few weeks back but she in injured at the moment so no miles in them yet. I did notice that when you back pedal now the from sprocket rotates with it where as on my M10 w/the e-13 it free spins. What am I going to use $100 on their web site as they have almost no parts for the rise… not even a Rise T-shirt… I suppose I could buy a couple pairs of socks

DC6A570A-734F-4E83-86E5-6C8AFC593759.jpeg

Snowrydr01

Dec 15, 2021
Jeeptj01!
I completed the replacement w/Shimano cranks on my wife’s M Team a few weeks back but she in injured at the moment so no miles in them yet. I did notice that when you back pedal now the from sprocket rotates with it where as on my M10 w/the e-13 it free spins. What am I going to use $100 on their web site as they have almost no parts for the rise… not even a Rise T-shirt… I suppose I could buy a couple pairs of socks

View attachment 82354

Thats interesting new cranks shouldnt fundamentally change how it works. Is there any contact between the arm and the chainring.

BobR

Apr 14, 2021
Florida
Thats interesting new cranks shouldnt fundamentally change how it works. Is there any contact between the arm and the chainring.
Honestly it might have been that way before the crank change as it is my wife’s bike and I don’t pay that much attention… will have to look in detail after work

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere

Have you registered the bike on the Orbea website?
1645203745280.png

If you do that and click on the "Find replacement parts" link, then there are pages of items:
1645203798668.png

donovan888

Dec 7, 2021
Rijeka
Anybody know where to buy carbon cranks?
I have M10 alloy ones, but would like to upgrade. Can't seem to find them anywhere...

What would be equivalent replacement?

Obikaii

Jan 10, 2022
Devon
Anybody know where to buy carbon cranks?
I have M10 alloy ones, but would like to upgrade. Can't seem to find them anywhere...

What would be equivalent replacement?
As far as I know there aren't many cranks that fit our bikes at the moment,I've only read about the E thirteen cranks,both alloy & carbon,or the Shimano EM900.
I'm sure there will be more on the market soon,especially as the E thirteen cranks don't seem fit for purpose.

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK

Spares seem to come and go from stock but
- mech hanger
- service kit for seat post
would be where I'd start.

Their riding clothing is meant to be great quality (but seems to be mostly road stuff on the site at the moment)

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA

Good luck. They lost my order already. Orbea's online store really, really sucks.

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
Good luck. They lost my order already. Orbea's online store really, really sucks.
It's not great is it? Stuff that's out of stock just shows errors when you try to select it. My order went in 12 days ago and it's showing as expected to ship today. How does it take 12 days to pick and pack?

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
It's not great is it? Stuff that's out of stock just shows errors when you try to select it. My order went in 12 days ago and it's showing as expected to ship today. How does it take 12 days to pick and pack?
Ok, so a day after the date shown for 'shipping' the dropper post parts (that seemed to be showing as 'in stock' when I ordered them 12 days ago) are now due to ship 28 March....

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
for those interested,
EM900 165mm: 426g
e13 alloy 170 (with boots): 469g

Last edited:

Obikaii

Jan 10, 2022
Devon
for those interested,
EM900 165mm: 426g
e13 alloy 170 (with boots): 469g
I was indeed interested ,nice one.
Not a huge difference then,let's just hope they stay attached to the bike.
It'll be interesting to see how the blame game plays out,Shimano vs E thirteen,if I was a betting man I'd put my money on E thirteen being in the wrong.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
I was indeed interested ,nice one.
Not a huge difference then,let's just hope they stay attached to the bike.
It'll be interesting to see how the blame game plays out,Shimano vs E thirteen,if I was a betting man I'd put my money on E thirteen being in the wrong.
It doesn't seem like there are problems with using shimano cranks with the EP8, so I'd be very surprised if Shimano takes the blame. That is ,unless E13 and Shimano worked closely together on the E13 cranks, but I don't think they did.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
I did notice that when you back pedal now the from sprocket rotates with it where as on my M10 w/the e-13 it free spins.

The sprockets should not turn when back pedaling with either. I suspect you may have installed them incorrectly if your chain ring turns when you back pedal.

Last edited:

BobR

Apr 14, 2021
Florida
The shop installed them and they are 90 minutes away… is there a YouTube video you can refer me to and I will re-install them myself.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
The shop installed them and they are 90 minutes away… is there a YouTube video you can refer me to and I will re-install them myself.
Hmm I don't know of a yt vid, but it's not hard.

1) unscrew the bolts (i blieve it's a 4mm hex key)
2) take out the outer most screw completely (you will see why later)
3) undo and remove the inner plastic preload thing. You need a somewhat special tool for this.
4) flip the little black plastic tap up, the one that sits at the crank in the little crack. You won't be able to do this unless you completely remove the outer most screw.
5) take off the crank arm. Inspect for damage, clean and grease.
6) put on crank arm
7) flip the plastic thing down again
8) insert screw, but do not tighten
9) preload the arm with the round plastic thing that needs a special tool. finger tighten it.
10) tighten the 2 4mm hex key bolts alternately to 14 nm, revisit each bolt a few times alternately.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles