OMG! I might be better on an anolgue MTB.

brw0513

May 18, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Hi All.

First post for a while.

I've mainly been commuting on my Merida e160e. It's fun and my average speed on the 34km round trip is around 22km/h. That means a reasonable commute time.

But recently, I've started using the bike on some local, well used trails. I've had a blast doing it. But I'm not getting tired "pedalling" legs. It's the aching "squatting" legs and "lifting" arm movements that are limiting my riding time now. No doubt it's a lack of fitness, endurance and skill. Especially skill.

But this makes me wonder if I should get a cheaper anologue bike until I get some skills and fitness. Then go back to eMTB at the point in time where extended outings are possible.

Anyone gone back to anolgue bike for skills development?

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
As above turn the assistance down
As for skill level that doesnt alter between assisted and non assisted what does alter is upper body strength as the emtb takes more effort to throw around to the same level
Thats my findings anyway
:)

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
Once I bought my first emtb (Trek Rail 9.7), regular mountain bikes didn't even exist to me any longer. Turn down the assist mode to eco, ride farther or longer and simply keep riding. The emtb is not your problem...it's most likely a lack of seat time. And emtb's can give you all the seat time you need with far less stress than a regular bike while at the same time going much greater distances. The worst thing you could do is just ride less. And you would probably ride less on a regular mtb.

Feb 6, 2023
Uk
Hi All.

First post for a while.

I've mainly been commuting on my Merida e160e. It's fun and my average speed on the 34km round trip is around 22km/h. That means a reasonable commute time.

But recently, I've started using the bike on some local, well used trails. I've had a blast doing it. But I'm not getting tired "pedalling" legs. It's the aching "squatting" legs and "lifting" arm movements that are limiting my riding time now. No doubt it's a lack of fitness, endurance and skill. Especially skill.

But this makes me wonder if I should get a cheaper anologue bike until I get some skills and fitness. Then go back to eMTB at the point in time where extended outings are possible.

One of the very few things I was concerned about on a full power bike was the weight. Before my 10 years on the couch and motor bikes before that, the pursuit of light push bikes was key to jumping and techy poppy riding and getting thing off the ground. So I went for a lighter bike in the Orbea rise. Years of poor fitness and health mean I’m no longer that physically capable rider but the brain still sees those little jumps and obstacles as fun time I have to ignore.

I’ve got a knee issue now so Ive put manual bike plans on hold but as my fitness has returned a little I’m looking at an entry level manual 29 or maybe something smaller as the relatively low weight of the rise still hampers a little.

It’s a different type of riding. We used to go to a site and ride that all day. Races jumps, see who jumped highest longest furthest. Rather than ride everywhere all day like a roady off road I suppose?
I almost wish I could ride the eBike to Woburn hills. Take the battery and motor off. Ride the tracks and jumps then put the power pack back on to ride home.
I’m not saying you can’t jump an eBike of course you can but it’s so much more fun without the weight. Bhp per ton figures, as said else where, arguably have a way to go for e bikes. Much as I love digital and analogue 😍😉 ….and ICE let’s not forget 🤩

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Analogue, acoustic, amish, mandraulic, neeb, normal MTB. Take your pick and be a dick about it, it's the way of all fora.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Apparently he's fine, just not eebing it at the moment so doesn't see the point of posting here.

Reactions: Dax

Hill Killer

Jul 19, 2020
Surrey
I ride my Levo with motor off in sand for an intense workout without any hills. Just turn it back up when my worn knee starts humming a bit.

sam.spoons

Sep 8, 2022
M11MM
Different tack from me, why not keep your eMTB and buy an older used acoustic MTB, I still have, and love, my 2008 Orange G3. It's still a great bike and only stands me at £250. Best of both worlds IMHO.

Oh, and take no notice of the 'Name Nazis', nearly everyone else on here is much more chilled :)

GoJoe

Jul 20, 2022
Connecticut
Hi All.

First post for a while.

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
One of the very few things I was concerned about on a full power bike was the weight. Before my 10 years on the couch and motor bikes before that, the pursuit of light push bikes was key to jumping and techy poppy riding and getting thing off the ground. So I went for a lighter bike in the Orbea rise. Years of poor fitness and health mean I’m no longer that physically capable rider but the brain still sees those little jumps and obstacles as fun time I have to ignore.

I’ve got a knee issue now so Ive put manual bike plans on hold but as my fitness has returned a little I’m looking at an entry level manual 29 or maybe something smaller as the relatively low weight of the rise still hampers a little.

It’s a different type of riding. We used to go to a site and ride that all day. Races jumps, see who jumped highest longest furthest. Rather than ride everywhere all day like a roady off road I suppose?
I almost wish I could ride the eBike to Woburn hills. Take the battery and motor off. Ride the tracks and jumps then put the power pack back on to ride home.
I’m not saying you can’t jump an eBike of course you can but it’s so much more fun without the weight. Bhp per ton figures, as said else where, arguably have a way to go for e bikes. Much as I love digital and analogue 😍😉 ….and ICE let’s not forget 🤩
If your primary goal is looking for something more “poppy” or sited for jumping a 27.5 wheel bike or 29/27.5 mullet would be your best choice vs full 29’er.

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
If you really want a workout it's full turbo everywhere until the battery is flat. Try and break your record for exhausting the battery. You will find it a lot harder than you think. If you you can be flat in 1.5 hrs you have done extremely well. No 500 wh though that would be cheating

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I did a Bosch 500 in 50 minutes once, solo seasoning some trails in the FoD...

Last edited:

Seraye

Sep 8, 2020
Portland
Since I have started riding my Rail 9.7 - both my fitness and skills have increased considerably due to the fact that I will repeat and repeat and repeat technical trails that in my previous "analog" days, I was too tired to repeat after just one ride. Also, wear a heart rate monitor and you will see that you are getting a very good work out on the emtb- even riding in the higher assistance levels - you might be surprised at how high your heart rate gets.

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
Since I have started riding my Rail 9.7 - both my fitness and skills have increased considerably due to the fact that I will repeat and repeat and repeat technical trails that in my previous "analog" days, I was too tired to repeat after just one ride. Also, wear a heart rate monitor and you will see that you are getting a very good work out on the emtb- even riding in the higher assistance levels - you might be surprised at how high your heart rate gets.

Last edited:

Seraye

Sep 8, 2020
Portland
Yes! Absolutely! Going up I get a nice aerobic workout but I have noticed that on descending my heart rate goes anaerobic! (I'm 55 so for me this means 160-180) Partly coz I am going so much faster now than ever before and also maybe due to controlling the heavier bike. --as for the "disadvantage' of the bike being heavier - my skills weren't this advanced when I rode analog and I descended much more slowly - so I don't really notice the difference. I'm just having tons of fun! (And lost 20 lbs along the way)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles