Kenevo SL Ohlins TTX2m spring rate on Kenevo SL?

ah1

Jul 11, 2020
Santa Cruz CA
Hi, I'm wondering what springs rates folks that installed TTX2m on their KSLs are using, and what's their weight. I'm assuming we all ride aggressive enduro with the Kenevo SL (and it's GREAT for that!)
I've used Ohlins guide which has the KS-L option: Performance Suspension Guide | Öhlins
But I get VERY different results for sag settings: for 25% it's recommending 605 spring rate, and for 30% sag it's 502. Very big difference.

I weigh 180lbs (w/o gear), currently use 525 spring rate, and it feels a bit choppy when going gets rough - I think I need to go up.

What do you weigh, what spring rate are you using, and how's the feel? Thanks!

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Since nobody else has replied, I have 2022 Trek Rail Large (alloy) with an Ohlins TTX22m.2 coil shock.
Weigh 76kg/167lb (w/o gear). Have a 525 spring which gives about 26% sag which works really nice. Did try a 500 spring but that was 'choppy' so at a guess you probably do need to go up.

Reactions: ah1

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Hi, I'm wondering what springs rates folks that installed TTX2m on their KSLs are using, and what's their weight. I'm assuming we all ride aggressive enduro with the Kenevo SL (and it's GREAT for that!)
I've used Ohlins guide which has the KS-L option: Performance Suspension Guide | Öhlins
But I get VERY different results for sag settings: for 25% it's recommending 605 spring rate, and for 30% sag it's 502. Very big difference.

I weigh 180lbs (w/o gear), currently use 525 spring rate, and it feels a bit choppy when going gets rough - I think I need to go up.

I am not sure what you mean by "choppy". I have a 548 lbs spring on my KSL. I selected that spring weight when my weight was around 200 lbs with gear. I am now under 180 lbs with gear. I reduced the preload by a turn and it feels fine (I never bottom out). I also run the HSC at Medium (2). If anything it feels a little bouncy on slow lumpy gnar.

ah1

Jul 11, 2020
Santa Cruz CA
I am not sure what you mean by "choppy". I have a 548 lbs spring on my KSL. I selected that spring weight when my weight was around 200 lbs with gear. I am now under 180 lbs with gear. I reduced the preload by a turn and it feels fine (I never bottom out). I also run the HSC at Medium (2). If anything it feels a little bouncy on slow lumpy gnar.
Yes I also run HSC at 2 position. By "choppy" I mean on fast bumpy stuff it swallows less of the terrain than I think it should, and transfers a lot of the vibrations. I believe what's happening is that the coil is spending more time in the last 1/3 of the compression than it needs to - hence my question about moving up.
I love the shock, but one annoyance with coil shocks in general is that trail-and-error of spring rate is costly.
BTW I personally don't think preload can solve it for me - it'll help with fine tune but not if my spring rate is off by several Nm.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
By 'choppy' I meant that I felt that the 500lb spring was fully loading through its stroke then unloading making the rear 'bounce around', so too soft. 525lb no issues.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Maybe the internal damper tune? There are quite a few for the ttx that can be changed during service.
I've always been less than impressed with mine, choppy, harsh and gets hung up on square edge hits. I feel it's overdamped.
If it can be made to feel like the ext arma on my DH bike I would be escatic.
I plan to get it looked at during the upcoming yearly service.
Screenshot_20230912-091356.jpg

Last edited:

ah1

Jul 11, 2020
Santa Cruz CA
Maybe the internal damper tune? There are quite a few for the ttx that can be changed during service.
I've always been less than impressed with mine, choppy, harsh and gets hung up on square edge hits. I feel it's overdamped.
If it can be made to feel like the ext arma on my DH bike I would be escatic.
I plan to get it looked at during the upcoming yearly service.
View attachment 124685
Thanks @cozzy . Out of curiosity, do you really service it annually? I was told they require less maintenance than air shocks, but maybe part of it is that it's overdue for service. I also find that it's hard for me to gauge how often I bottom out during a ride, as opposed to an air shock. So I'm not sure if it's the damper tune or maybe I just need to increase spring rate.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Definitely yearly
Thanks @cozzy . Out of curiosity, do you really service it annually? I was told they require less maintenance than air shocks, but maybe part of it is that it's overdue for service. I also find that it's hard for me to gauge how often I bottom out during a ride, as opposed to an air shock. So I'm not sure if it's the damper tune or maybe I just need to increase spring rate.
100 hours or annually as per the manual.
It's the first shock ive owned in a while that's actually lasted a year. Previous failures within 12 months are fox X2 and dpx2, cane creek DBA and coil kitsuma plus a rockshox superdelux coil.
Mine is fitted to a FF kenevo with a MRP 550-670 progressive spring and the DH gold valve that gives 3 HSC settings rather than the stock blue valve that gives 2 plus a climb switch.
30% sag at 95kg.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Thanks @cozzy . Out of curiosity, do you really service it annually?

Definitely not, they're tested to 600hrs. Mine is starting to feel like it could use a service at 5 years old. The ohlins forks definitely worth servicing regularly thou, they have a tiny oil volume

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Definitely not, they're tested to 600hrs. Mine is starting to feel like it could use a service at 5 years old. The ohlins forks definitely worth servicing regularly thou, they have a tiny oil volume
600 hrs? Where did you get that number from? I suppose it depends on what type of trails you ride and how hard you ride but I stick to the recommended 100 hour service schedule as Ohlins shocks and forks can be expensive to repair if you let a small issue become a big problem. YMMV.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
600 hrs? Where did you get that number from? I suppose it depends on what type of trails you ride and how hard you ride but I stick to the recommended 100 hour service schedule as Ohlins shocks and forks can be expensive to repair if you let a small issue become a big problem. YMMV.

Ohlins service center. They recommend lower leg servicing on ohlins forks at 25-30hrs, but the shocks are good for 200hrs and ohlins test them to way beyond that.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
How did your shock feel, after 5 years of use, that you felt like it should be serviced? It has been my experience with Cane Creek air shocks that every time I took one in for a service (usually every season) it ended up costing more than a rountine service as there was always something else required. This was my main reason for switching from a Cane Creek air shock to Ohlins coil shock. I doubt I am a skilled enough rider to do a blind ride test tho nor would I know exactly when a fork or shock needs a service unless there is an obvious issue.

ah1

Jul 11, 2020
Santa Cruz CA
I spoke with the Ohlins rep - really nice guy very helpful! He did recommend service (I have over 250 hrs w/o one...) and didn't think I should re-valve it at this point. The sag is good at 27%, I can reduce preload a bit but that's probably not the issue. I'll report back after service to see if it dramatically changes the feeling.

Bikeplexed

Oct 1, 2020
Pacifica, ca

I'm 185ish and on my 22 KSL, I have the ttx2m.2 with
  • 502lb 18077-12 (88N/mm, 502lbs/in, 67mm)

I'm a little over 6', 185lbs and swapped out several months ago. It was well worth it. My riding style is aggressive and prefer lines that are jumpy. Here are a few points of reference:
- '22 KSL (size S4), I have the TTX22m.2 with a 502lb 18077-12 (88N/mm, 502lbs/in, 67mm)
- '18 Kenevo ff (size L), ohlins TTX22M with a spring rate 548lb (18074-14)
Big difference there, as you see. I (still) ride both bikes on the same jump trails.
The folks at ohlinsusa were really helpful guiding me to the right spring. The rates vary quite a bit depending on the leverage ratio for your bike. They do a lot of testing and use this for the setup calculator which was pretty accurate. I had planned to get a much heavier spring to match something like my kenevo FF and am really happy they strongly advised me against it.
Not sure what 'choppy' is, but I'd think that might be an indication of a too heavy spring(?). If you were getting bucked on jumps and really using a lot of your front shock (bottoming out more), that would be more of a sign of a too light spring.

ah1

Jul 11, 2020
Santa Cruz CA

I'm a little over 6', 185lbs and swapped out several months ago. It was well worth it. My riding style is aggressive and prefer lines that are jumpy. Here are a few points of reference:
- '22 KSL (size S4), I have the TTX22m.2 with a 502lb 18077-12 (88N/mm, 502lbs/in, 67mm)
Big difference there, as you see. I (still) ride both bikes on the same jump trails.
The folks at ohlinsusa were really helpful guiding me to the right spring. The rates vary quite a bit depending on the leverage ratio for your bike. They do a lot of testing and use this for the setup calculator which was pretty accurate. I had planned to get a much heavier spring to match something like my kenevo FF and am really happy they strongly advised me against it.
Not sure what 'choppy' is, but I'd think that might be an indication of a too heavy spring(?). If you were getting bucked on jumps and really using a lot of your front shock (bottoming out more), that would be more of a sign of a too light spring.
Thanks, very helpful! We're VERY similar in data (I too ride '22 KSL size S4, similar weight/height/riding style). Since I'm using a 525 spring this reinforces my conviction that I shouldn't go up. I'll see how reduced preload + overdue service takes me.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver

If you are referring to the shock (front shock = fork?), getting bucked on jumps means your rebound (HSR) is set too fast.

SP SUSPENSION

Mar 1, 2023
Scottsdale, AZ
Ohlins is 100% correct- service! Even though a shock still moves, doesn't leak and has 'some' damping-it means its operating, but not performing properly. Oil breaks down in shocks just like in engines. It is not subjected to the same stressors that motor oil is, and is not made to last through those. We can see the difference on the shock dyno with fresh oil vs. oil with 200 hours. Countless times we just service a shock, and the customer will ask what changes we made because it feels so much better. All we did was service and return thier original settings when it came in.

Endurafrika

Jul 7, 2022
Cape Town
Hello people,
I have the TTX22.m coil on my kenevo sl - after 6 months riding I figured that the high speed compression lever is stuck (in 2) - doesn't move at all. What I also figured is that the low speed compression dial has 22 clicks - whereby it should have 16 only. Anyone experienced similar?

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Hello people,
I have the TTX22.m coil on my kenevo sl - after 6 months riding I figured that the high speed compression lever is stuck (in 2) - doesn't move at all. What I also figured is that the low speed compression dial has 22 clicks - whereby it should have 16 only. Anyone experienced similar?
I think you have a problem. My HSC is always left on 2 for the trails I ride but the LSC dial on my shock only has 16 clicks including fully open/closed. Mine is set 9 from fully closed. Time for a service?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles