Oh b@ll@cks!!!!

Simoto123

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Aug 6, 2019
North west
There was i feeling all smug and clever because I had just put new tyres, and renewed the complete drivetrain on me levo. Thinking I should have enough wear in both to keep going till the lock down eases a bit. When hopefully lbs will be back up and running.
Clever Si.
Unfortunately(you knew it was coming) whilst completing my government mandated daily exercise. Incidentally at the bottom of the steepest hill for miles and 8 miles from home my fecking motor shat itself!
This was my 2nd motor in twelve months but after 5k miles I was starting to think it was indestructible. I know it’s the drive belt cos I’ve had it before. I’ve had battery failures too and always seem to get stranded. I hadn’t noticed anything at all and it went from an occasional slip to zero drive in half a mile. Lucky they pedal ok or I’d still be pushing home now probably.
Spesh Lbs is closed for the foreseeable. So I’ve written to @Specialized Rider Care but hopefully they are safely at home saving lives. Could be stuffed here lads and lasses.
One solution might be to remove the 1.2 from ’er indoors levo ht. Might work but then she.can’t come out to play. Not sure on warranty regarding major surgical procedures....

muzzman1

Feb 11, 2019
Los Angeles CA
This exact same thing happened to me yesterday on my '19 Levo. My 4th motor, but only the 1st replacement on this particular bike. My previous 2019 bike was replaced under warranty for various simultaneous issues.
This latest motor only had 800 miles on it since late Jan 2020.
My local Lbs is OPEN and hopefully they will be able to get me a replacement.
Luckily I bought a 2018 Kenevo about 6 months ago as a backup. I rode it today, not as fun to be honest, but I'm very lucky to have it!

Simoto123

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Aug 6, 2019
North west
I did wonder if for "competent sounding" users if Spesh would consider a post motor exchange.

Obviously that excludes you ! :) ;):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Ha ha, you’re right too. Under normal circumstances I’d simply buy another. I only have one bike at the mo(exc wifeys) which is unheard of for me. Like anyone else at the mo I’m a little reticent to splurge. Ooh err missus.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I guess you could argue that either :

So many e-bikers are old and suffering from pre-determined ailments that at least 10% of us will die, therefore there will be considerably less warranty claims - so they can afford to extend the warranty .. o_O

Or ..

As most bikes shops are closed, you can't get your bike's problem fixed within it's warranty period, so it might be fair to extend that warranty window if it's not possible to deal with the warranty claim remotely, so you can deal with it after the apocalypse.

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
What's car MOT's going to do with any warranties?
It’s not just MOTs it’s car warranties too. One issue is taking your your bike to be seen if you don’t have a local Specialized dealer that is open another would be in some areas bikes are banned unless travelling to work.

Troutwrestler

Dec 25, 2018
Scotland
I am waiting to hear back from my supplying bike shop regarding my dangerously malfunctioning 2018 Levo Comp. 65km on the latest motor. I last heard from them on 23 March, and more recent emails from me to them have not been answered yet. Lockdown looks like it will eat up the majority of my remaining warranty. LBS that has previously dealt with Warranty is closed.

The irony is I could be using it on a daily basis at the moment...

Simoto123

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Aug 6, 2019
North west
Lets hope spesh can come up with something. I’m thinking of buying a motor if I can get one, then warranty my broken one as and when.
Amount of times this bike has broken down I feel I need one. I have a battery for the wife’s so that covers a spare in that eventuality.
As you say just when it could be so useful.. I have no other form of transport either! Oops, maybe I should have bought a spare long ago.

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
I am waiting to hear back from my supplying bike shop regarding my dangerously malfunctioning 2018 Levo Comp. 65km on the latest motor. I last heard from them on 23 March, and more recent emails from me to them have not been answered yet. Lockdown looks like it will eat up the majority of my remaining warranty. LBS that has previously dealt with Warranty is closed.

The irony is I could be using it on a daily basis at the moment...
If your in the UK I'm pretty sure that if you've already notified them already and the warranty claim is in motion, they would still have to carry out the repair even if the warranty ran out the next day. I had this issue with a car a few years ago.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
It’s not just MOTs it’s car warranties too. One issue is taking your your bike to be seen if you don’t have a local Specialized dealer that is open another would be in some areas bikes are banned unless travelling to work.
As far as I know, warranties aren't being extended, but service schedules are where failure to observe the correct servicing schedule won't void the warranty.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
I suspect that ebike warranties will fall under 'suck it up princess'

Simoto123

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Aug 6, 2019
North west
Well ... you said you wanted a new bike .. a new bike comes with a new motor ... ?? :)
Gosh I know mate but it’s so complicated at the moment. I’m daft enough to spend the cash, no doubt about that, but there’s gonna be some cheap new bikes about later this year i reckon.
I need to see what Specialized come up with regarding the circumstances and travel restrictions. I’m all ready, see below.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Gosh I know mate but it’s so complicated at the moment. I’m daft enough to spend the cash, no doubt about that, but there’s gonna be some cheap new bikes about later this year i reckon.
I need to see what Specialized come up with regarding the circumstances and travel restrictions. I’m all ready, see below. View attachment 28217
I wondered with the failures you've had if they wouldn't do you something special on a new one as you were considering it anyway. I still think the one you have is the dogs nads though :) !
If you've got the tools you need to make the change can they send you a motor on exchange due to the unusual circumstances were in ? Fingers crossed for you either way !

I think @Kiwi in Wales had a spare 1.3 motor but he might have sold it now.

Simoto123

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Aug 6, 2019
North west
Thanks Zim, yes I love the bike too. So glad it didn’t sell. All it took was a new shock and I was smitten all over again. I just got a bad case of new bike acquisition syndrome when I saw that commie sx signature. Sworks absolutely awesome, owner somewhat fickle.
You hit the nail on the head, I’m hoping for a mail in but not sure if that’s acceptable. By extension it would rule out a transplant from her bike or buying a spare To fit in the meantime. That’s why the bike is on the stand as is. Motor would be out if I knew what’s acceptable?

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Glad I took the second shot above cos that tamper sticker looks ready to tear itself in half any moment!

Hey, just saw this post.
Yes, I do have a spare 1.3 motor which I purchased as a spare for my 2018 Levo off Berkshire Cycles.
Very low mileage as it was a spare. Warrantied until 05-09-2020
If Spesh can’t help you quickly it is available for sale.
PM me if you want more detail.

Simoto123

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Aug 6, 2019
North west
Thankyou Kiwi that’s nice of you to offer. I am still waiting for Specialized response regarding posting in. Or if I can remove my own motor for whatever reason, and still be able to return the current motor for warranty. Pm on way.

Simoto123

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Aug 6, 2019
North west
Hey, just saw this post.
Yes, I do have a spare 1.3 motor which I purchased as a spare for my 2018 Levo off Berkshire Cycles.
Very low mileage as it was a spare. Warrantied until 05-09-2020
If Spesh can’t help you quickly it is available for sale.
PM me if you want more detail.

hi kiwi, did you get my pm old chap?

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Hey mate,
Yes, I did.
Apologies been busy all day yesterday and today with a work ‘Go Live‘ for one of my customers.
Will reply as soon as I can.

Simoto123

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Aug 6, 2019
North west
Well, as we say up here..... I’m in up to the makers name now! No turning back.
ive been really lucky to source a replacement motor under warranty. Quite a relief with weeks of inactivity stretching in front of us. Couple of progress pics below. Surprisingly easy with a little help from @Kiwi in Wales and you tube.
Really grateful to the dealer who helped me out, won’t say until I know it’s ok to do so.
13ECF599-3F1B-4F2C-9E76-D75A9565936E.jpeg
09E89D63-C8FD-46C8-BB65-2E9F3C34738D.jpeg

Troutwrestler

Dec 25, 2018
Scotland
I haven't had a reply from my dealer since 23 March. I have emailed again, and called, where I was advised to send another email, which I have.

I have plenty of 1 hour a day opportunities to ride, just a malfunctioning bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles