Official Merida eOne-Sixty thread

NZSpokes

Sep 29, 2020
Auckland, New Zealand
Hi all, new member here from NZ.

This is my EOne Sixty 5000. We got them with 8000 motors where as I believe other places got them with 7000 motors.

Have fitted a Onone carbon bar and gone tubliss. Its gunna be for sale soon as Ive got a 21 EOne sixty 8000 on order.

119649261_10220954415863325_7780418800622770199_o.jpg

RichardGB

Nov 28, 2019
West Midlands
Anyone else with a 900e find their rear wheel a little draggy?

I thought it might be the freehub sticking slightly so I had it all apart last night. Whilst that was part of it (the spline is apparently needs regular maintenance) I noticed the axle didn't roll all that freely in its bearings.

I don't have a bearing press so didn't want to take them out and re-seat them. I also read that DT Swiss often feel stiff when spun without weight on them?

Any one experience the same?

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Anyone else with a 900e find their rear wheel a little draggy?

I thought it might be the freehub sticking slightly so I had it all apart last night. Whilst that was part of it (the spline is apparently needs regular maintenance) I noticed the axle didn't roll all that freely in its bearings.

I don't have a bearing press so didn't want to take them out and re-seat them. I also read that DT Swiss often feel stiff when spun without weight on them?

Any one experience the same?
Sealed bearings do cause a bit of drag. You can stick your finger in the hole and turn it for feel. I would still think that your wheel should spin OK. If you put your finger in the hole and turn and it doesn't feel smooth - that's something else. What you can do is gently remove the seal from the inner edge - clean the outside of the bearing first - then force some new grease in there. You have to make sure everything outside the bearing is clean first so that you don't get dirt inside. Then you can refit the seal. Really though, if the bearing feels smooth I'd leave it. I have a 2020 model e140 LTD - if the bike is upside down and I spin the wheel it will keep spinning for a while, quite freely.

RichardGB

Nov 28, 2019
West Midlands
Sealed bearings do cause a bit of drag. You can stick your finger in the hole and turn it for feel. I would still think that your wheel should spin OK. If you put your finger in the hole and turn and it doesn't feel smooth - that's something else. What you can do is gently remove the seal from the inner edge - clean the outside of the bearing first - then force some new grease in there. You have to make sure everything outside the bearing is clean first so that you don't get dirt inside. Then you can refit the seal. Really though, if the bearing feels smooth I'd leave it. I have a 2020 model e140 LTD - if the bike is upside down and I spin the wheel it will keep spinning for a while, quite freely.

It's a little notchy but clean. I've been having a watch of some clips online and it seems like the bearings are pressed in a little too tight or slightly misaligned.

I haven't got a bearing press so going to ask my local LBS to have a play with it.
Thanks for the reply.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
It's a little notchy but clean. I've been having a watch of some clips online and it seems like the bearings are pressed in a little too tight or slightly misaligned.

I haven't got a bearing press so going to ask my local LBS to have a play with it.
Thanks for the reply.
misaligned bearings are supposedly the biggest cause of bottom bracket creak on clockwork bikes. It's possible that your bearings are seated well but recesses for the bearings are not aligned. It may not be fixable. Good luck

Last edited:

Veno

May 3, 2020
Zagreb
Hey, quick question!

I have a standard super deluxe on my e-onesixty 8000.
On larger drops and road gaps I tend to bottom out quite easily.
I run 25% sag.. does anyone know how many volume reducer spacers are in the shock standard - if any..? I was thinking of getting some..(RockShox Air Volume Reducer for Deluxe / Super Deluxe - 11.4118.042.001)
I don't think I need a bigger negative chamber (RockShox Air Can Upgrade Kit Metric MegNeg for Deluxe / Super Deluxe) because the weight of the bike makes it pretty supple already but.. if anyone has already installed the air can upgrade kit on the the Merida frame I would love to hear some thought.

tnx,

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
It should have 2 fitted, punch the serial number into trailhead to confirm. I fitted a gnar dog which is 2.5 tokens, gave a little extra ramp up. Megneg would be good. Softer to begin with and then a lot more support, can tune to your liking with the bands

Matt_Rider

Jul 13, 2020
Melbourne Australia
They have definitely jumped up in price this year haven't they? Still much better value than a lot of other bikes out there. I got my 2021 9000 for less than a Levo Comp or Meta Power 29 Essential.

Mr Scooter

Apr 30, 2020
New Zealand
They have definitely jumped up in price this year haven't they? Still much better value than a lot of other bikes out there. I got my 2021 9000 for less than a Levo Comp or Meta Power 29 Essential.
I agonised long and hard... in the end the Mullet with EP8 was what I figured I'd like. I like tweaking and the Bosh is great but I wish you could dial back the emtb mode..I still will ride my Zerode Taniwha a great deal I suspect.. then I gfound that they could only secure a 10k model this side of xmas and I had been considering 8k with tweak and the 10k with no upgrades needed, when I did the maths on dropper posts wheels fork upgrades the 10k seemed decent value esp with 10% off

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
Hey, quick question!

I have a standard super deluxe on my e-onesixty 8000.
On larger drops and road gaps I tend to bottom out quite easily.
I run 25% sag.. does anyone know how many volume reducer spacers are in the shock standard - if any..? I was thinking of getting some..(RockShox Air Volume Reducer for Deluxe / Super Deluxe - 11.4118.042.001)
I don't think I need a bigger negative chamber (RockShox Air Can Upgrade Kit Metric MegNeg for Deluxe / Super Deluxe) because the weight of the bike makes it pretty supple already but.. if anyone has already installed the air can upgrade kit on the the Merida frame I would love to hear some thought.

tnx,
Mine started with 2 volume reducers. I added Gnar dog (2.5) and kept 1 in, so up to 3.5 which is Max. I did it because of harsh bottom out even when running less than recommended sag - I even bent the shock bolt. Allowed me to run closer to recommended sag and have more small bump sensitivity.
Also running 180mm front air shaft - really recommend!
Interested if anyone has run MegNeg, sounds like it might be a further step in the right direction

NZSpokes

Sep 29, 2020
Auckland, New Zealand
I agonised long and hard... in the end the Mullet with EP8 was what I figured I'd like. I like tweaking and the Bosh is great but I wish you could dial back the emtb mode..I still will ride my Zerode Taniwha a great deal I suspect.. then I gfound that they could only secure a 10k model this side of xmas and I had been considering 8k with tweak and the 10k with no upgrades needed, when I did the maths on dropper posts wheels fork upgrades the 10k seemed decent value esp with 10% off

I went with the 9000 and loves it.

The 38 eats roots and the ep8 is amazeballs. Apart from the rattle. LOL

NZSpokes

Sep 29, 2020
Auckland, New Zealand
Congrats !

Never doubted you for a minute :rolleyes:

Would love some reports - particularly regarding the EP8 motor

Thanks
Its a bit too good. I did a 32k offroad ride on Saturday and was not tired after. Same on a 20k offroad ride. So Im going to set profile 2 to be lower power to give me a proper workout. That way I can have either I want.

But yes much better than the 8000 and grunt for days.

And yes it rattles. I will fit a 54t ratchet in the DT wheels to hide the sound. LOL

Steve38

Sep 10, 2020
Adelaide, Australia
Its a bit too good. I did a 32k offroad ride on Saturday and was not tired after. Same on a 20k offroad ride. So Im going to set profile 2 to be lower power to give me a proper workout. That way I can have either I want.

But yes much better than the 8000 and grunt for days.

And yes it rattles. I will fit a 54t ratchet in the DT wheels to hide the sound. LOL

Thanks

Such a shame about the motor rattle
Everything else about this motor just feels right

I'm getting the Aluminium version, so hoping the noise may resonate through the frame a bit less than the Carbon
Fingers crossed ?

Still excited though

NZSpokes

Sep 29, 2020
Auckland, New Zealand
Thanks

Such a shame about the motor rattle
Everything else about this motor just feels right

I'm getting the Aluminium version, so hoping the noise may resonate through the frame a bit less than the Carbon
Fingers crossed ?

Still excited though

You only notice it when just cruzing. To be honest it doesnt bother me. Ive had much noisier bikes.

Matt_Rider

Jul 13, 2020
Melbourne Australia
Awesome looking bike! Thats exactly what I have on order. Spoke to my LBS today and he said NZ get the EP8 first as a test sort of phase to see if the fix has worked. If it's all clear, Shimano will ship motors out to the distributors in the country to be fitted locally. Fingers crossed!

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
Also for anyone in Australia, some sharp pricing from 99 Bikes if you join the Gold Club.

If anyone is interested in ordering from them - call your local 99bikes and check availability first. I did and found that the size I need was over sold by 4 bikes. So new orders might not come in till early 2021.

NZSpokes

Sep 29, 2020
Auckland, New Zealand
Another 30ks today in the forest. Did some suspension bracketing to get it right.

Fork comes with 4 tokens so I tried it with 2. Felt really smooth but got a huge bottom out on a jump with a rooty landing. Will try 3 next.

Tried profile 2. Perfect for a harder workout.

122988006_10221245733746090_592729877826063039_o.jpg

Dakrol

Nov 1, 2020
Sydney
We were lucky and got a few through early.

View attachment 43166
Another 30ks today in the forest. Did some suspension bracketing to get it right.

Fork comes with 4 tokens so I tried it with 2. Felt really smooth but got a huge bottom out on a jump with a rooty landing. Will try 3 next.

Tried profile 2. Perfect for a harder workout.

View attachment 43379
NICE - what frame size is that? I’m 188cm and have a XL on order but now concerned it may be too big.

Mr Scooter

Apr 30, 2020
New Zealand
shocked - My 2021 10k has arrived in the store.......didnt expect it until late December. Is part of the first drop that has had a motor swap.
Picking it up next week

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles